What is your favorite music for auditioning speakers?

I would like to hear how people like to test out a potential speaker purchace. I like Dave Matthews-So Much To Say, James Ingram-Maria, Eagles-Hotel California (live version), Fourplay-Chant, Santana and Everlast-Put Your Lights On.
Any other suggestions for all categories. Metal, rap, classical or anything else. What ya got?

Derek
Basia's Seetest Illusion is good for identifying grundgy bass. Most Telarc recordings are (try the 1812). Hotel California is also good.

Anonymous
Just heard No Fiesta by Ray Obiedo on a pair of Energy Veritas V2.4 with a Parasound pre-amp/amp over at The Good Guys and that might have been the best song for auditioning speakers. Either that or those were the best speakers I ever heard. I like the opening scene from LOTR/Fellowship when Sauron explodes for Bass test. that scene gets way down there.

Anonymous
Money by Pink Floyd on SACD. Awsome

Stay away from quirky stuff--Floyd's "Money" is a great tune and well-recorded (especially on SACD), but it's generally just a good demo of stereo effect. Any recording that maps specific voices or instruments to specific left or right channels (or swoops between them) falls into this category. In other words, these types of recordings can make almost any speaker sound good--you tend to be more impressed with the effect and the material than the speakers themselves.

In contrast, go with less gimicky stuff that is well-recorded. Although it's not my favorite music, Sound & Vision magazine has recommended Annie Lennox's "Diva" as an example of excellent test material, and indeed, it's fantastic for that. Also look for great dynamic range: Try Amanda Marshall's "Let It Rain" cut from her self-titled album. If the speakers can reproduce the roar of sound that kicks in after the acoustic guitar intro, you're in good shape. Another excellent source is Rush's Power Windows album. The first cut, "The Big Money" features an immediate loud burst and quickly shows off a speaker's capability or limitations. Another good album is Count Plays Duke--extremely well-recorded and excellent for testing speakers.

Finally, try some good acoustic jazz, something recorded with just one mic. With your eyes closed, (assuming the correct listening position) you should be able to hear a great soundstage, and even identify the left-to-right locations of the musicians. Speakers that have great imaging can reveal very subtle details.

Bottom line: Test material should be able to show off dynamic range, frequency response, and imaging. With those three factors, you'll be able to do a good evaluation.

Peter
My musical style is very varied, and it is an absolute must to test all styles. When I bought my speakers, I was deeply in love with a pair of Jamo's after hearing them play acoustical music. However, they had much more trouble with distorted guitars. I found B&W CDM 9NT much more versatile.
My test music was:
- The violin concerto from Saint Saens to test the acoustic treble
- Massive attack to test the base
- Red hot chili peppers to test more distorted sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us