HSU STF-2 vs Velodyne DPS-10 & Downfiring vs Frontfiring

Username: Quadzilla

Greenwich, CT United States

Post Number: 3
Hi All,
Anyone know if theres a big difference in performance & quality between these two subs? Also, is a down-firing better than front or vise versa? I have an HSU STF-2 and am happy w/it but don't like that the controls are in the back, I'm in a wheelchair making it hard to reach. Also, I thought I read that down firing subs sound best when placed in the corner of the room, thats tricky as theres a heater in the only corner where I could place it, right now my sub is beside my wall unit. Do front firing subs have to be placed in corners? I may consider the Velodyne if it outperforms the HSU and doesn't have to be placed in a corner. I hope to check one out this weekend.

Thanks!

Dan

Username: Mlai08

Post Number: 1
Hi Daniel,

Basically, down-firing and front-firing subs are just different designs. There should not be significant performance difference except that down-firing subs tend to have more flexibility in terms of placement. Check out this link http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=479107.

I also bought STF 2 recently and just love its musicality and great output. Please don't trade this with DPS-10, you will regret. I tried it before, the digital controls at the front are sucks and its output can not match with STF 2, save about music. I returned it in the first weeks.

There is no fix & fast rule on sub placement. I found my STF2 sounds best when put about 1 foot next to my left main speaker verus by the corner. If you are satisfy with STF2, just don't look further and save your energy and time to enjoy it. Once you have calibrate and set the gain on the sub, you don't need to constantly adjust it - just set the sub output at your receiver/pre amp to suit your taste for different sources, i.e. movies, music etc.

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4608
Hi Daniel.

I presume that your sub is using speaker level inputs, if you need to tune it often.
I also have to presume that your receiver/amp does not have bass management, or these functions would be by remote.
I have a Velo 12" sub and like it (augmenting stereo) and the front mount controls are helpful.

How are you set up? Maybe some help there?

Cheers!

Username: Quadzilla

Greenwich, CT United States

Post Number: 4
Thanks Mike & Nuck, guess I'll stick w/the HSU. I have a Pioneer VSX 1015 receiver w/Paradigm Atoms and CC 130 center. I bought the receiver a while ago but haven't taken the time to go through all it's features and really tune it properly. I tried a couple of times but each time I did my DVD player(s) would crap out, that's a whole other story. Not that it really matters, I was just trying to set up the whole sys including DVD player settings in one shot.

My receiver does have bass management so I'll play w/that a little more. I've also been meaning to get an SPL meter, they expensive? Just to confirm, rather than changing the volume level on the sub, I could adjust the sub's level using the channel level adjustment on the remote for the sub to accomplish the same thing? I'm sure I could leave it at the same level most of the time (I listen to rock, blues & jazz music mostly) but I'd like to be able to easily turn the bass down for certain movies (i.e. Saving Private Ryan) so my elderly neighbors don't think it's WW 3 ;-)

thanks again.

Username: Mlai08

Post Number: 2
Daniel,

Glad that you can find a way to adjust the sub output level in your receiver to avoid the hassle of changing the gain on the sub. You may get the SPL meter with the Avia test cd from the SVS website http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us