Paradigm or Klipsch

Anonymous
I'm considering some bookshelf speakers and narrowed down the search to the Paradigm Monitor 3 or the Klipsch RB-3. Is one of these clearly superior, or perhaps another selection in the $400-$500 range I may not have considered? I'll be using them for music and as the start (L/R channels) of a home theater system. Your input is appreciated.

Just heard the new RB-35. They KILL the rb-3 for the same price and they weren't even broken in yet. The grill is less troublesome now using magnets and they can be hung easier and I like the inverted dust caps. They are a bit bulkier though so if you have some size constraints you may stick to your other 2 choices. Good Luck.

Anonymous
I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as Miguel, but I have a pair of Monitor 9s, with a Marantz receiver and Kimber 4TC cable, and I absolutely love them! The Monitor 3 has the same tweeter and woofer. I know you can't just go comparing the 3s to the 9s, but dollar for dollar in several tiers, I preferred the sound of Paradigm over B&W (just barely) and Klipsch. I have not heard the RB-3s or 35s, but I've never been a particular Klipsch fan. I'm just one guy with an opinion, but it was a very important decision for me, and I ended up choosing the Paradigms, and I'll tell you that I haven't regretted it.

I believe that Monitor 5s are in the $500 range. And in the $600 range, you could buy Paradigm Reference Studio/20s. Here's a review:

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteReferenceProduct/RReviews/Reference/Stereophile/StereophileStudio20.pdf

Hope this helps. :)

Mark D
I am a bit surprised that you narrowed your choices to these two speakers because I think they have wildly different characteristics, so I think the answer lies in what sound you prefer. I know I have heard the Klipsches, but I admit that I have been listening to so many speakers over the past six months that I do not recall the exact model you mentioned. What I do remember however is that the Klipsches tended to sound bright to me, which I have found fatiguing over time. Conversely, the Paradigms sound very smooth and accurate, but a bit on the dark side for me. In a very real sense, although I like the sound of both, I just find them to be almost polar opposites in their sound. So the question for you is which kind of sound do you prefer? If you like a brighter sound, with emphasis on the high end, you will choose the Klipsch. If you like a more accurate and smoother sounding speaker, then you should choose the Paradigms. No one can answer the question but you.

As for other suggestions, I really like the KEF Q1 in this price range (MSRP $450, street $350). It images very well and is really in the middle of the other speakers, sound-wise. Smooth and open, but not bright. Another speaker that I think is a killer for the price, sound wise, is the Ascend Acoustics Model 170, which is available only on line for about $350. Friend of mine has them and they are marvelous sounding (Been getting great reviews, too. See the reviews section on this website).

Good luck.

Mark D
Hey, I was just reminded of another good choice for the H/K receiver. Check out the Aperion Audio Intimus system. It has gotten great reviews (see the Home Theater Speaker systems reviews on this site) and they are having a sale on right now (through May 18th). They seem to be in your price range, but if you don't have the money for a full 5.1 system right away, you can buy a 3.1 system and add more speakers later. Likewise, if you get a 5.1 system and want to go to 7.1, you can add them later. They even let you try out the system in you home for 30 days--if it isn't what you want, you can ship them back (I wish more things were available this way!).

check them out at www.aperionaudio.com

Enjoy!

Mark is correct as to his characterizations of the sound between the two sets of brands of speakers. Both are well constructed, they just appeal to different sets of ears. Also if your tastes lie somewhere in between these two then you may want to check out the Energy C-3s. They sound great.

jim moore
Yes the Klipsch have accents in the high and upper midrange and can be fatiguing, except as they break in they get smoother. I have the rf 5's, rc3II, rs3II, kg 3.5(in rear for DVDa and SACD) and KSW 12. Components are all Denon, 3803, DCD 1650ar, DVD-1600 and DVD-2900. Cables are all m1000i Monster Cable and M1000cv. The only thing I would change is the Sub Woofer (it's not musical, it's fine for blowing up buildings). My choice of Music is mainly Jazz and Triple A, so it fits well. All said and done many times I have wondered if I should have gone with Paradigms, they are dark, or as my wife would say "warm". Klipsch are very accurate and they show the weakness in your system which could be bad. It's a matter of preference. Remember Cables, Components and speakers break in, and I find showroom speakers not always true as far as breakin' time. I think you can't go wrong with either speaker, except that they are polar opposites. My Brother in Law has B&W 603's and they sound the best for the money in my oppinion, good wide midrange, however my Klipsch (being floor speakers) have a better soundstage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us