Extra Home Speakers

I have a problem. I have a Philips bookshelf type stereo with CD, tape, tuner etc. My brother just gave me two HUGE Fisher floor spearks that I was attempting to splice in. They were working for a few, but then went out. Now I can't even get the stock Philips speakers to wrork! I checked all the wiring and it's okay. ANy idea what the problem is or how I can solve it? The stereo dislpay is coming on, just no sound! Any info would be MOST appreciated! Thanks!

Derek
If you spliced them in in parallel with the stock speakers or your splices shorted out, tou may have blown the amp. If the headphone jack still works, take it to the shop.

Even if you only used the fisher speaker most mini-system amps are only designed for the nneds of the speakers they come with and that ussually means 6 ohm speakers that are pretty efficient (meaning they play loud without much power) when you go to bigger and more demanding 8 ohm speakers and try to crank the volume the amp has to work harder because of the added ressistance. You would have had to crank it more to get the volume up. Over a pretty short period of time the amp probably generated to much heat and fried.
The scenario might vary depending on the specs of the speakers and amp but one thing is sure. If your philips speakers were working before this and now you don't get any sound from them then your amp is done for. repair or replace the mini system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us