Amp for Athenas

Username: Andiez

Knoxville, TN

Post Number: 1
My ex got the Merlins & the macintosh so I have had to rebuild the best I can. I have a pair of Athena AS-F2's & I am now ready for a new amp.
I have read the reviews of the NAD's & like what you have all had to say but it always comes down to what to pair with your speakers. I live in a small town with NO decent audio store so I will NOT be able to test drive. I have about $750 to spend & I am all ears. (sorry for the pun!!)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3604
Those Athena speakers are very efficient and would likely fair well with many budget and mid priced amps. The NAD C352 and Rotel RA-1062 are very good values and within your budget. they are both good enough that you could upgrade your speakers in the future without looking for an amp. Also the Outaw RR2150 receiver is a good performer and gives you the am/fm option. Both the Rotel and Outlaw have pretty good phono sections if that is a consideration. NAD and Rotel both have receivers as well but the Outlaw is well priced and has some goodies that the other 2 don't. Hope that helps. Have a great weekend.

Knoxville, TN

Post Number: 3
Thanks for taking time out for this Art! I went with the Outlaw RR2150 & I will post after I get it. I feel a lot more confident since I have read your post & some reviews. This site saved me from making huge mistakes!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4366
Andrea, how long is the wait for the Outlaw unit?
They were 2 months behind a little while ago.

Knoxville, TN

Post Number: 4
Got a reply from them that it would ship within 5 days. I ordered it expecting a long wait but was glad to hear otherwise.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4377
Great!
That is a very very good unit.
Are you going to use the phono stage?
The Athen's, while not a superspecial brand are gaining in popularity for simple reasons. They work well, are priced well and sound very good.
Add some quality cables and wires and there you go! I also read that the Athenas are not overly difficult to place, just 2 feet from a rear wall will do it.Oh, and 2 feet from side walls if possible.
What cdp or uni-player will you use?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4378
Nicely priced and very workable speaker wire from Liberty is what both Art and I have used(thanks Art). Cheap like dirt and head and shoulders above nasty rip-cord.
I am using 14g 4 conductor in bi-wire and it works very well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3606
Thanks for the update Andrea. Happy listening!

Knoxville, TN

Post Number: 5
I have a Denon DCM-380 cd player. I know it's not one of the best but my old Denon that I bought it 1984 lasted until July of this year & that impressed me! The Athena's were super easy to place - it took me one weekend & minor furniture movement. I haven't decided on the phono stage, mostly because I don't know enough about it. And you answdered my next question - cables. I have been researching that all morning & now I know. It's been a little difficult buying new equipment in this price bracket but fun to realize how far I can go with so little. You guys are the best!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4381
Andrea, you are doing very well.
Which cables set have you chosen?

Knoxville, TN

Post Number: 6
okay, you have taken me this far - if you don't mind taking me across the finish line I will take your advice & run with it. 14 ga was something I had already decided on because the Outlaw Owners Manuel recommended that but now I seem lost again. And after cking out the Liberty online site I realize I need to find a dealer. So if you don't mind some more hand holding....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3607
Below you will find contact info for Liberty and the speaker cable I used for many years.

https://secure.libertycable.com/contact/contact.html

https://secure.libertycable.com/ecomm/catalog/cat_page.php?group=305

Here are the interconnects that I used. Cable and connectors.

http://www.jscwire.com/jsc_ss.taf?p=3060

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-400

These are all do-it-yourselfers unless you have a dealer who will terminate for you.

There are other good low cost options that are already terminated but I would have to know what cables are carried at dealers in your community to make any recommendations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4382
Art's recs are the same as mine, and the cable finishing is nothing very difficult at all.
Any of these combinations will knock spots off of the bixbox monster junk.Highly recommended.

And you are just about there!
Your Denon player is a good selection and should work very well.

Happy listening!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us