B&W 602 S3 vs Mission M72i Bookshelf speakers: Which one???

I think im getting a hard time choosing which speakers will i buy. I have auditioned both speakers and it seems that both are performing well for me. So its a close call or deadlock situation for me on which one to buy. It will be great for anyone to give their opinions if you have already listened to this speakers. But actually im givin the BW just a very very sligth edge over the Mission. NEED HELP!

Definitely B&W 602 S3!!! Or better yet, try Dynaudio Audience 52, they both sound very good with Arcam A75 Plus.

Hawk
I have both brands of speakers for different purposes (B+W 601s and Mission M71s). I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but what electronics do you have to drive them? If you have something like a H/K or Pioneer Elite receiver, I would say Mission. If you have a Yamaha, go with the B+Ws. If other, post it and let us know.

Robert
If you driving them with an Arcam then go for the Missions, I have a Delta 290 and they sound fantastic with it.

I am planning to go in for a Yamaha RX-V640 Receiver and a YST-SW320 Sub woofer. Can I use Mordaunt Short MS 912s as satellites and the Centre MS 905C along with these? Do I have a cheaper option in the whole setup with a different receiver and Sub woofer maybe? I really like the Mordaunt Short speakers.

Hawk
Arshad:

I am seeing more and more of these receiver/subwoofer bundles and they always involve selling two bad units.

At the lower price range (~$500 and <), I don't think either the Yamaha (RX-V640) or the Denon (1803) are particularly good. I actually have the Yamaha sub (which I bought to use with the sound card on my computer), and I can tell you it isn't very good--but it is cheap.

For your Mordant Short speakers (a fine brand, BTW), I would lean toward the Marantz 5300 or an Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver, both of whom are in the same price range. Both the Yamaha and the Denon are somewhat bright and have a graininess to their sound that can become irritating after awhile. The Marantz and the Onkyo are smoother and a better match for the Mordant Shorts.

For a subwwofer, go to DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com) and get a PSB SubZero-i subwoofer for $199. It is far cleaner and much more accurate than the Yamaha sub.

Hawk:

Thanx for your reply. Am currently in Saudi Arabia where all brands do not have a direct presence. Hence the prices tend to be higher. The RX-V640 costs $560/-, the SW320 $390/-; The Mordaunt Shorts' MS 912 (4 in no.) & MS 905 C (Centre) altogether cost $426/- (which I feel is a good deal).

I am just starting off with Receivers and thought that the Yamaha AVR was the right unit for me. Plus, I wouldn't want to get into the hassle of ordering anything from outside the country. Onkyos are available, but are more expensive.

Another thing - how do I find out the impedance of this SW320 subwoofer? And can I connect it to the RX-v640 whose output is 85Wpc at 8ohms impedance. Again, is it ok to connect the MS912s (150W RMS) and MS 905C(100W RMS) to the RX-V640 (85 Wpc)?

I am also getting a Mordaunt Short Sub for the same price as the SW 320, the MS 907W. Would this be a better option?

Hawk
Arshad:

I understand. Since I didn't know you were in Saudi arabia, my suggestions aren't very good for buying online here in the US.

Your price on the Mordant Shorts is very good--I wish I could do as well!

As for the subwoofer, you don't need to worry about the impedence of the subwoofer. it is an active sub, which means it has its own dedicated amp. Hence, the receiver will never "see" the impedance of the speaker--it will only see the line level output, so it will be no different than the output to the tape or the vcr connections. Therefore, it will not be a problem to connect it to the Yamaha receiver's subwoofer connection.

If you have the choice, I do think the Mordant Short sub is better sounding than the Yamaha sub. I would recommend the Mordant Short.

One last question - the Receiver gives 85 wpc at 8 ohms. The MS 912s and 905 C have a higher capacity of 150W and 100W at 8 ohms. Will there be any problems in this set up?

The speaker specs say 4 to 8 ohms. Does this mean that I can use them as either 4 or 6 or 8 ohms? The Receiver has different outputs for 4, 6 and 8 ohms. Can I select a particular impedance on the Receiver and similarly on the Speakers?

Hawk
First question: No. The fact that the speakers have a greater power handling capacity than your receiver will not be a problem.

Second question: You don't select speaker impedence. It is purely a function of the electrical properties of the speaker. Mordant Short is very funny in this regard, but understand that no speaker is a pure 8 ohm or 4 ohm speaker. Speaker impedence varies by frequency. I have seen 8 ohm speakers with impedences that were as high as 22 ohms at one frequency and the same speaker was as low as 3.8 ohms at another frequency. I would expect the MS speakers to be a nominal 6 ohm speaker and should work pretty well with the Yamaha.

Thanx Hawk for clarifying my doubts. I hope to have the system set up soon.

i'm getting a rotel ra-02 amp. can't decide if i'll go with the mission m72 or b&w 601 s3 speakers. there's also monitor audio speakers but it somehow sounds a bit muffled/tame for me. Any feedback?

Anonymous
Rob,

May i suggest the Monitor Audio B2... very good in soundstage and imaging... awesome sounds.... and very affordable... as close as it gets...

IMHO, sounds better than missions and b&w

but still audition and always consider matching (receiver/amp/players and cables)

Harry
Rob,

They are all very good speakers. But (and please correct me if I am wrong) B&W is tuned to Rotel amplifiers (very close company connections).

So therefore, the B&W should be a natural fit, but what sounds good to you is the most important.

how about the monitor audio s1 speakers? any feedback?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us