An extremely musical sub for about $450.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 254
thought I would put down a suggestion for anyone looking for a very good musical sub on the cheep.

I just built this guy

http://www.customanalogue.com/sub_index.htm

it's called a 'critical Q sub' (Q = 0.5) which means, acording to my understanding, that is is well damped/tight and more suited for music than movies. it uses Peerless 12 inch XLS - Model 830500 driver.

It is the first speaker I have built and was pretty easy infact. all thats needed is a circular saw, jigsaw and electric sander. these tools cost me $20 each, new.

I'm not an expert on subs by any means but I can say that is blends in seemlessly with the $2000 Zu's I have (known to be 'electrstatically fast'). It is transparent. It also goes flat to 20hz. And I can confidently say that it is quite a bit better than the $1000 Dynaudio sub I had before this one.

Dont be put off by the DIY thing if you think its not for you. It's not that difficult(not a sub anyway) and is quite fun to do. It also can get you much better sound/pound than buying from a retailer.

cheers

B.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4294
That one looks pretty good, B.
How might the run-in be for that driver, I wonder?
How is it placed in your setup, have you put it in a corner or backed up to a wall?

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 255
Couldnt really say about the run in.

Setup wise though I've got it dead centre and EQ'd flat within 2db from 100hz down with a BFD. corner placemnt also woked well but I am aiming for absolute symetry in all room furnishings and equipment racks etc. The amp also has a 12db/octave low pass filter (which the designer of the sub recommends modding to a 18 or 24/db slope) and so I though it best to put the sub centre so as to make it completely unlocalisable.(i could have rolled it off steeper with the parrametric eq ) guess)

I didnt have to boost the lowend to get flat to 20 hz(not advisable anyway), but rather used the EQ to flatten a hump at 30hz that was built into the plate amp. I was also able to flattten out the 80hz reageon even though I've got the crossover set to 50hz(there is still enough output at 80 to be able to do this. Infact, even if the mains are causing a hump at say 80hz you can use the sub to cancel this out by having the sub and speakers be out of phase with eachother at htese freqencies)

I am now experimenting with gently 2-3 db house curves which I seem to enjoy on some recordings, and for low volume listning and movies. these BFD's are great (and only $100.)

cheers

b

Username: Harryconnor

Post Number: 2
I like the HSU research line

http://xrl.us/r66j
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us