Choosing a receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Argento

Post Number: 15
This are my candidates to replace my actual receiver Yamaha RXV-595.
I want a better performace with stereo music, but an accepptable performance with movies too. (Actually 60/40 music and movies, but may be 70/30 if the music sounds better). My speakers are a Tannoys M5, MC and M1.
The list was made according to my budget and the equipment's availability. The list is sorted by price (low to high).
All opinions are welcome.

1)Marantz SR5400
2)DENON AVR-2803
3)Pioneer Elite Vsx-53TX
Harman Kardon AVR-430
Marantz SR7400
ONKYO TX-R601
4)Harman Kardon AVR-630
5)DENON AVR-3803
6)Pioneer Elite Vsx-55TXi
ONKYO TX-SR701

rmihai
Unregistered guest
NAD t743 or t753 or
Cambridge Azur 540R

Good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
rmihai: Thanks for your opinions. I really want to get a NAD but I can't get these brands in my country.

rmihai
Unregistered guest
Otherwise Marantz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ok, rmihai. I take your vote.
Which model from Marantz? 5400, 6400, 7400?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 402
I would choose between the Marantz7400 and the Elite55. The advantage of the Elite is the firewire connections and both have excellent power supplies and the type of sonics that go with what I know of Tannoy. The other possible choice would be the H/K 630 as it also has a very good power section and a warm sound, I just prefer the other two for a variety of reasons. These three are of course the most expensive on your list but for good reason.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks thereaelitefan.
I heard the Marantz and love his sound. I want this tyope of warm sound
How you define the Elite's and H/K's sound?
More warm than Marantz?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 125
Elite and H/K are warm, but less detailed than Marantz. The Tannoys are neutral-warm so the laid-back and warm H/K could be a bad choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Ok, Landroval, thank for the input. You clarified the situation.

So, the Marantz would seem to be the winner...

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Well, the situation is not that clear and the differences are not very big. The Elite is also very detailed and the new H/Ks are more detailed and less warm than older H/Ks.

The Onkyos seem to be little overpriced, because I could get a 701 around the same price than your price group 3 and the 601 for lower price than the 5400. So forget about them.

The best way to choose your receiver is to go to a store and listen to at least H/K, Elite and Marantz with Tannoys and make the decision with your own ears.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Landroval: I need help from the forum because it's hard for me find these models to try.

I tried Marantz and I really like it, but I'm still looking for the other models.

So, we can put the Marantz, Elite and H/K in the first line and the Onkyo in the last one.

Which is the problem with Denon? I've read great reviews about them...

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
The Denons have limited power supplies, so you wont have much continuous power with all five channels driven. They also sound a bit cold an thin, so if you're looking for better music reproduction I think you should forget them also.

Especially fo music I'd recommend either Marantz, but you wont go wrong with the P-Elites or H/Ks.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 554
Get the Marantz 5400. You can always tell which model in the Marantz line is going to be their market leader, because Marantz will make an "ose" version with upgraded everything (power supply, output transistors, etc.). This year, that is the 5400, which is just superb even without the modifications. It looks like Marantz realizes this receiver is a real winner and it will justify making a special version that will lure buyers who want to be able to say the bought the up-graded version. The reviews have been quite good for this receiver and I think it sounds great. From the list you have, it is easily the best of the bunch.

Good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Hawk: Have you compared the OSE and non-OSE? Because the OSE is so much better that I think it's existance is perfectly justified, it easily blows away the standard 7300/7400 and is just fantastic with music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hawk, Landoval, thanks for your answers.

Hawk: one guy in a (serious) audio store makes me the same suggestion.
He recommended the 5400 because it's have a very good stereo section and up to the line, the 8400 because it's have several improvements in the build's quality (like toroidal power supply).
What do you think about it? Is it justify more $$$$$?

Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 3
Hey Alejandro, I`m also thinking in buying Marantz SR8400 to substitute my Sony 555ES. The only one I have some serious doubt regarding 8400 is NAD T-773. maybe Hawk and Landoval can help ? As I`m going to connect a Denon 2900 DVD I am not concerned about Fire Wire, Denon Link or so on. I`m just concerned about Bass/Delay management to SACD/DVD-A and sound. I use Boston VR Series speakers. Very easy 8 Ohms, 89/90 Db sensitivity. But Hi-Fi Choice has just published a review of marantz flagship 9300 and there are some problems to resolve complex sounds. What do you think ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
Sorry, cant help, I have no experience on the higher-end Marantz receivers. As always the best way to make your decision is to compare them yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 558
landroval:

No, I have yet to see the 5400ose--only the base 5400 is available in my neck of the woods at this time. I am sure you are right that the ose version is worth the upgrade, but my point was simply that even the regular 5400 was a very good receiver in its own right.

Alejandro and Victor:

There is no question the new 8400 is a serious step up from the 5400, not only in power (110 x 7 vs. 90 x 6), but in things like the power supply and the shielding, not to mention the features. But the difference in price where I live is quite substantial (the 8400 is more than twice the cost of the 5400). Between those two models, I personally do not think that the 8400 is worth the extra $--the spread is simply too great. However, look into getting the 5400ose, which will have many of the extra features contained int he 8400, but with a price much closer to the 5400. I think there is usually a ~$200 premium for the ose models.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hawk, thank you very much for the data.
I'll try to find the 5400ose otherwise I'll take the 5400.

In one audio store, they sells the Marantz's line with a special power cable (bimetal 10 mm copper OFC-HCC), a power line filter (for less RF) and a special optical cable (with customized lens and 8mm diameter)

I've never been so perfectionist, but ...
Do you think these things makes a really difference in "audible" audio quality?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Is it possible that the 5400 was made in Korea and the 7400 in Japan?

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Yes it is. The 5400 and 5400OSE are made in China and the 7400 in Japan.

dennis
Unregistered guest
My 7400 is made in China.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Strange. The European version (230V, 50Hz) seems to be made in Japan, but the US version has no markings, so maybe it's made in China like you say. I dont know if the country of manufacture has any real importance.

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 5
If you look in the back of the 8400, you will see "Made in China". I think everything is migrating to there. Maybe, only the 9300 is still produced in Japan.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
There are a lot of brands that started to produce this models out of the original country....
If the quality is the same, OK, but, I don't know...
Why only the flagship receiver is produced in the original country?

Unregistered guest
I would go with the DENON AVR Reveiver, It is an Amazing Quality system, i have Sold a few and have had the Privalige of useing one, and its amazing, Thats my suggestion

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Why is too hard to find editorial's reviews of Marantz's receivers?

There are a lot of Denon's receivers reviews...
Is there a marketing policy or something??!?

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 7
Comparing Denon x Marantz web sites you see that their latest releases tell the story: 3805 from Denon has everything you need to know. 8400 from Marantz keeps everything secret.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
The same reviews problem apllies to H/K.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Did you already read these:
https://www.ecoustics.com/editorial/reviews/av-receiver

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I obtain most of the revisions from Ecoustics. What pointed out is the difference of quantity among the revisions of the current models of Denon (2803-3803) and those of Marantz and H/K.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Making a selection on the initial list in function of the comments received up to now:

- I eliminate Onkyo for not being clearly superior to the other receivers in any item and to be expensive regarding the other ones
- I eliminate to the Elite 55 Txi because it is similar to the Elite 53 save for the firewire entrance that at the moment don't need it
- I eliminate the Denon 2803 because their construction quality and features doesn't seem to be at the level of the other receivers
- I eliminate the HK 630 because for what I could see in the specifications it is similar to the HK 430 save for a difference of 10 watts of power that I don't believe to need

The up-to-date list is then:

1)Marantz SR5400
2)Pioneer Elite Vsx-53TX
Harman Kardon AVR-430
Marantz SR7400
3)DENON AVR-3803

I continue waiting their comments on the selected receivers.
Thanks.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us