Help w/ Sony STR-DE995 -- How Do I Get DTS?

Username: Dashowstoppa

Post Number: 1
I am kind of new at this so please bear with me.

I am trying to run my optical cable from DVD player to the receiver. There is not a specifically assigned optical input on the back that says DVD. There is a digital coaxial connection that says DVD.

Anyways, I plugged my optical cable into the TV/SAT optical input figuring that the name on the connection didn't matter as much as just having an input. I was able to get 5.1 DD, but when I select DTS I get nothing.

Do I need to do some tweaking to my DVD player or to my receiver to get DTS? Do I need to buy the digital coaxial cable if I have an optical cable? Is the coaxial cable any better or worse?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 400
You might have to get into your dvd's set up menu and tell it to activate the dts output. I had to do that with my last 2 dvd players. As far as the cables go I always recommend using whichever the receivers default setting is. Sonically there is virtually no difference that I have ever been able to detect and it is not necessary to buy expensive cable either. $20-$25 for a 1 meter will do just fine. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us