Linn Axi, Linn Cartridge, getting occasional distortion...

Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 4
I have a Linn Axis turntable that I bought on the street for, believe it or not, $15. It sounds fantastic most of the time, However, on a few records in my collection, strangely a few that are cosmetically perfect, I get an intermittent imperfection that sounds like distortion. I have cleaned the affected records immediately before playing and still get the same problem. Could this be a sign that the needle needs to be replaced? Are there any other causes you can suggest? What is the lifespand of a Linn cartridge? Can I replace the needle myself? i'm a total novice.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9191

You don't give much information to go on, but I would guess that "records in my collection" means records that have been played on a different turntable with a different cartridge. More than likely the record has been damaged by the other table/cartridge. Once the vinyl is damaged, you will always hear that moment as distortion. This is only a guess based on what little you've provided. You don't even mention where you live, but I would find a dealer, preferrably a Linn dealer, and take the table to them for a complete set up and check out.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1695
Jan makes good sense here. In terms of the cartridge, it depends on which cartridge you've got. The lower end Linn cartridges were based on Audio Technica bodies with styli specified by Linn. Any of these are probably shot, not necessarily because they've worn but because in ageing, their suspensions (basically a thin bit of rubber) will have perished. This is particularly true of the K18 which seemed to suffer more than its fair share of suspension collapses (and easily turned into a right old nail). The safest thing to do would be to get the cartridge replaced. If you're a total novice, it's probably wise to let a dealer sort you out since setting up cartridges is definitely an art, rather than a science.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 9
Thanks a lot to both of you-
I'm now certain that The cart needs to be replaced. I've been hearing a faint crackling at the dynamic peaks of almost all of the records I've tried- and have found that the disturbance is inversely proportional to tone-arm weight/pressure, that is, it's more evident when the tone arm pressure is light. I'm curious if this noise will now be permanently inscribed in the records? Also, can wither of you recommend a good inexpensive cart, or should I leave this to the Linn dealer? I'm currently trying to locate one in New York City, but none of them seem to be as resourceful as the patrons of this forum. Thanks again

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9230

The problem you will run into is installing the cartridge and setting up the arm to work properly with the new cartridge. If you're not absolutely certain you can get the alignment, VTA, VTF and so on spot on, then you should leave this to a shop. Most non-Linn shops don't care to take on a Linn due to the reputation the table has developed for being finicky. No matter where you end up, shops normally don't install a cartridge you didn't purchase from them. You might find the dealer who is the exception to both statements. Good luck.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9231

Do keep in mind that allowing someone else to install the cartridge makes them liable for any damage done to the stylus during the installation process, if you purchased the cartridge from them. If you try to install the cartridge yourself, and snap off the stylus by being clumsy, you have no one to blame but yourself and no one to pay for another stylus but yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1701
Jan speaks sense again.

Just to clarify:

The Axis is a set-and-forget machine. The repitation for being finicky is really with the LP12 which is basically a bag of parts that has to be put together by a dealer who knows what he's doing. It's my main criticism of the deck too.

It's unlikely that the crackle will show up when the deck is setup correctly. It seems to me from what you've said that the problem is nearer the upper ends of the groove. If setup correctly with a half-decent cartridge, the stylus will retrieve the signal from deep in the groove where the pops and crackles aren't apparent. This is one reason why better systems sound better in many cases.

There are 17 Linn dealers in NYC. Have a look at:

http://www.knekt.com/buy_linn/find_retailer_get_retailers.cfm?continent=1&countr y=18

and look down at the New York section.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 10
Thanks a lot, guys, thats very all very helpful. Do you have any experience with the Audio Technica AT95? I hear that its a very good deal and supposedly identical to the cartridge I have. thanks again

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9238

The AT is a good cartridge for the money and has been around for decades. I used to sell a house brand version fo the cartridge back in the 1970's. The store cost was $10. That shouldn't reflect on the quality of the cartridge, it works well, just that its design nas been around for awhile. I would rather have a Grado, but that is personal choice. Grado's are also picky about which tables they like and might sound too flat for some people's taste. It's difficult to beat the Grado midrange at any price, however.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Are you referring to a particular Grado? The Grado prestige black series (i think thats the name) is also quite affordable, in fact, less expensive than the AT.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9241

Buy the best Grado you can afford.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I really appreciate all of this help and both your expertise on the subject. Unfortunately I think I'll probably have questions at every point along the way. I just found a place in new york that is willing to install the cartridge for me. It's a grado black series, and the installation is going to cost $75, which is more than the price of the cartridge. Now, does this seem realistic? Is the installation so complicated that I really should NOT attempt to do it myself? When I asked what that fee would cover the technician said: removing the old one, putting the new one on, balancing, and aligning. That seems straightforward enough. Where does the difficulty enter in to the process?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well, I purchased a grado cartridge (black, the cheapest one) and I have to say I like the sound. I've noticed that it seems remarkably good on piano, especially pieces in sort of upper mid register. My monk and gould records sound great. however, acoustic guitar kind of sounds a bit dull, at least compared to my previous cart, and the way the same tunes sound on my NAD 521. Seems as if the upper register is a bit mellow on this cartridge, taking the edge or shimmer off those guitars.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9244

Check the archives of this page. There is a free, two point alignment protractor offered as a mail-to-you item or you can download a copy from a PDF file. Two point protractors, if you haven't used one, give much better results than a simple one point item. Use a square to draw finer divisions between the lines of the protractor, carefully align the cartridge to be parallel at two points of its arc and you'll tweak the sound of even the cheapest cartridge.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/index.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us