NAD T752 FROM DMC-ELECTRONICS and PSB or Paradigm

Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 1
Just got my Nad T752 from DMC-Electronics and it is working perfectly no fan noise,hum or broken speaker outputs. Due to the numerous suggestions from the forum here from people such as Hawk, Johnny, elitefan and John A I felt confident in my choice with Nad. I have auditioned many other receivers/speaker combos and loved the Nad and Paradigm Studio combo. I was taking a chance at getting a lemon but David from DMC assured me that the stock the he had was completely upgraded. I got a good deal on this, DMC had the 752 on ebay for $499 as a blemished model not refurb. David did say the 752's they have in stock had a blemish due to the protective film on the display. AFter looking really closely I cannot find any blemishes on the unit. It looks mint.

My previous receiver was a 70-left 70-right 70-center watt Pro Logic Yamaha. The difference between detail and clarity is astonishing. The 752 rocks in those aspects. It took a little while to adjust to the different sound but I prefer the detail and clarity of the NAD much better.

Currently I only have a pair of Titans which was my first step in getting into the entry level hi fi arena. The Titans will assume surround responsibilities as soon as I get new main speakers, cc then finally the sub. The sound of the Paradigms totally beat out the cheap Yamaha floor standers I had previously.

Would the Titan's work as surrounds with a pair of Stratus Mini's and Stratus CC due to the 6 ohm rating? Also the fact they are different brands and totally different lines. I have seen many posts from others who have studios up front and titans/atoms for rears/surrounds so I know they would sound decent with the Studio 20-Fronts and Studio CC.

My living room is 16X19 which opens up to the kitchen. I will be listening to 60/Music 40/HT. Since I am piecing my speakers together over time and have decided 700-800 is the max for one pair of speakers. A dealer has already quoted me $700 on a pair of Studio 20's V3 and DMC has some blemished Stratus Mini's for $659. I might even consider used but have had no experience with purchasing from individual sellers through the internet,so I am a bit skeptical. It has been very difficult trying to audition the PSB Stratus Mini's due to local dealers around here DFW are mainly custom installation type places with limited stock ie no stratus mini's available for audition or very restricted hours which do not coincide with mine.

My question is can anyone share their opinions on the differences in sound in clarity, transparency, soundstage (Studio 20/Stratus Mini only) my choices due to price. DMC offers the stratus mini for a great price and the price for the 20's are comparable. Pesonal opinions and experiences of the two would be great.

Thanks,

James

Bronze Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 72
James,

Congratulations on your equipment! Give us an update on the NAD stability in a month or so. I'm anxiously awaiting my NAD T763 and Monitor Audio speakers which I hope will arrive in the next 7-10 days.

Hopefully, one of the other guys will have some feedback to your question. I haven't heard the PSB so I don't have anything to offer.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 397
James,
As I see it the best alternatives are the 20's you mentioned or the Paradigm Monitor 7's for fronts with the cc370 center and the Titans for surrounds. If you buy the 20's you will also have to buy the matching center which is a couple hundred more than the cc370. I would buy whichever you think will work better in your room. In my living room with wood floors I find a bookshelf type speaker to be better than a floorstander. I don't think you can go wrong with either alternative.

Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 5
I am also awaiting a purchase from DMC. I bought a refurbished t752 among other things. I'd like to hear how your experience goes with stability and such. I also debated ordering due to the QC issues but decided I liked the sound too much and was willing to take the risk. James, do you live close to DMC or did you order over the phone? I am in WI so I'm hoping it will work out well if I ever need to send back the unit for warranty work.

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the recommendations therealelitefan. I am going to be auditioning some PSB image speakers from a custom installation dealer that has agreed to meet me and I am bringing along my Nad. He doesn't have the stratus in stock but he can arrange an audition with one of his customers.

OknessaD-I live in Dallas so I called DMC to order. They shipped it off the next day.

OknessaD and Ghia- I have noticed the minor delay between switching to different Surround modes and unfortunately got the hum when scrolling through the channels on my cable box. IT stops shortly after I stop on the channel. The hum starts when I have scrolled through alot of channels real fast. It may be the cable box. Not sure but it is a little annoying.

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 3
I listened to the PBS image 6t's and 9c cc. One thing I must say is they imaged wonderfully. When listening in 2 channel stereo I went to the center channel to make sure it was not on. It may not have been a good comparison to switch over to the 2000 dollar proac speakers. They made the PSB's sound a bit muddy. But overall the PSB's sounded good. I am thinking of adding them to my short list along with the Paradigm.

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 33
James - the PSB stratus series is simply amazing. It is in quite another league over the image series and above the Paradigm 20s as well. I think the Mini's have been discontinued and that's why DMC can offer you that fantastic deal. They retailed for $1200 US a pair previously. You can read about them here:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/ReviewsStratus.html#SSR

If you do get the opportunity, give them a listen. They should compare to those $2000 speakers you were talking about.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us