Looking for input on system to match speakers

Username: Brocjas

Albany, NY

Post Number: 1
New to all of this but learning alot online and through these forums and other sites.
I have decided on the Paradigm Studio 60 speakers for a system that will primarily be for stereo/music with connections to DVD and TV, not at the home theater level.
While knowing what you want the system to sound like is important, knowing what you do not want factors in as well. I am looking for a warmer, richer sounding system with solid bass as part of the mix. What I am trying to stay away from is a clinical sound lacking overall warmth and richness.
From the information I have come up with, the following combinations are possible options.
As the one old saying goes "sight unseen" these will all be "sound unheard" as there no dealers in my area carrying all of the pieces on the floor for comparison. Did hear the 60's while traveling through Maine and compared them to the 100's, to my ear the 60's will give me what I want and are within the budget.
Option 1-(heard the 60's with) Anthem TLP1 and the MCA 20 amp, will add phono preamp later.
Option 2-B&K Reference 5 S2 preamp/tuner and B&K Reference 200.2 amp, will add phono preamp later.
Option 3- Rotel 1080 Tuner,RC-1070 Preamp, RB-1080 or RC-1090 preamp/tuner and the RC-1080, phono is built into these.
Option 4- NAD C422 Tuner, C162 preamp/tuner, C272 amp.
Components can be purchased locally, however, they are not on any one sales floor to be heard with the 60's. Equipment would all have to be ordered in for any demo.
Insight and suggestions would greatly be appreciated given my newness to this level of audio and the limited availability of hearing them "first ear"

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1466
Brian -

I grew up in Watervliet...

I'm assuming you've checked Hippo's and Tweeter. Too bad Clark Music closed their hi-fi section. They had the Paradigm/Rotel combo you mentioned on the floor.

Honestly, all of the combos you mention are pretty good. They've all got their strengths and weaknesses. I haven't heard Anthem gear, so I won't mention them. These are my opinions -

From a build quality and subjective sound quality perspective, I'd say the B&K combo would probably be the best. It's definately the best built (again, Anthem excluded). The sound is going to be on the warmer side of neutral. I'd say they pretty much do everything better than NAD and Rotel. It's also the most expensive.

NAD will be warmer than B&K. Pretty well built. Slightly laid back. Relative to Rotel, bass goes a little deeper and is better defined.

Rotel will be forward sounding, and lean on the bright side. Bass isn't as deep or tight as the others. Also pretty well biult.

I've heard the Studio 60 and Rotel seperates combo many times. It's honestly one of my favorite combinations out their. I like NAD and B&K better than Rotel, but their's just something about the Rotel/Paradigm combo that sings. They both play off each other's strengths and weaknesses. Synergy is something that every system should have, and this combo has it more than the others IMO.

However, if you haven't heard it, I wouldn't buy it unheard. You really need a demo.

Have you been to Oasis on Rt. 7 in Latham? They've got some great gear their. Their main stuff is Arcam, SimAudio, and Totem. In your budget, they should be able to put something together for you that will probably beat the Rotel/Paradigm combo, and you'll know exactly what you're getting. If you stop in, ask for Kevin Young. He knows the stuff inside out, and loves the gear. He'll be very helpful and honest.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1467
Sorry, one more question - Who in the area has Paradigms? The only one I knew of was Clark Music.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3574
"their's just something about the Rotel/Paradigm combo that sings."

Totally agree!

Username: Brocjas

Albany, NY

Post Number: 2
Stu - Watervliet... Go Cannoneers !
Thank You for the information, exactly the type of information I was looking for.
Towne TV in Schnectady carries the Paradigms, 20's and 100's on the floor, they are also the dealer who carries the B&K line.
Clark in Syracuse carries the Paradigm, locally no equipment at all anymore.
Hippos carries the B&W speakers and the Rotel line.
Tweeter carries the Polk line with some others and Denon or Yamaha, will check them out again, just in case.
Oasis - thanks for the lead, I probably would have missed them. Gave them a quick call and Totem or Magnepan speakers with the Arcam or SimAudio lines.
Some others around, mostly HT set ups as opposed to 2 channel primary.
Thanks again... any other thoughts please feel free to pass them on, the hunt continues.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1475
Brian -
I may be dating myself here, but I was part of the football team that went undefeated for almost 4 years. Anyway...

Tweeter doesn't have much in the 2 channel realm. They used to have B&K on the floor a few years back, and I thought they still might, hence the assumption that you went their. I think they may still have Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber speakers, which are great, but pricey.

I forgot Towne TV carried Paradigm.

If you're looking to take a trip, the Westchester County area has some great shops. About a 2 hour trip if you don't find anything in the Capital District. Far more options and about the same distance (maybe a little less actually) then 'Cuse if you were contemplating going there. If you don't find what you're looking for and are considering the trip, let me know. I'll point you in the right direction.

You may also want to consider the Rotel and B&W 700 series if you like the Paradigm Studio 60's. Clark had this set up as well, and it sounded equally good to my ears. It's just a little different though.

But before you buy anything, you really should make it a point to go to Oasis. The Totem line is phenominal, and very well priced for the build and sound quality you get. Kevin (a co-owner) will explain everything about how they're made, materials, etc.

Take your time. Half the fun is listening to all the gear out their and talking to the dealers who'll sit down with you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us