Speaker level inputs

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4219
Does the high level input to a sub have ANY effect at all on the stereo speaker quality?

I have no pre-outs and no tonal controls, the sub will be used for bass enhancement on some programs.

What's a good sub with a remote?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 187
Empirically yes. Anytime you add something it has an effect. Not sure if you would notice or not, but there would be an effect. Have you considered a T connector on your line out of your pre-amp?

That aside I have heard arguments that the speaker level input into a sub is better than line level and visa-versa. I do know some subs are more musical, some are set up better for HT dynamics.

I do not know of any subs with a remote.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4244
Thanks, Mike.
I could 'T' off the preamp output, with an XLR 'T'.
That just seems messier (musically) to me than speaker level, somehow.
That would mean 2 long runs of XLR, as well (Yikes$).

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 869
Check Velodyne out Nuck - I think some of their subs have remotes. Their later models get good wraps - I don't know which in the range are the better ones - Frank Abela sings thier praises.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 189
Sorry Nuck I was thinking RCAs. Forgot about your Classe running XLR.

I hadn't noticed any deficiency with T connecting on a demo I heard at a dealer a while back nor off of my cable box into my T-amp and PSB sub. Now there's an audiophile reference. (HA!)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4254
So I picked up a Velodyne DSP12 sub today.
Question. The high level inputs are to be paralleled with the speaker loads, yes? Does it matter if I go to the speakers first, then back to the sub high level input? Using bi-wire to the speakers at present.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 229
Nuck, you gave up on the servo? and or the DDseries?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4258
Hi David. Yeah, the 15" servo seemed like too much, the DD was not on sale today when I picked up the DPS12.
I am looking to fill the lower registers and round things out a bit, not caring about movies(although some DVD Concerts are in there quite often).

I figgured this one 24Hz should be plenty(400w), just stick it in a corner. However, this is where my connection Q came up. I do not want to split my Liberty biwire for the sub parallel connection, the speakers will be quite far apart(at max) with the new layout, so the runs will be used up. I will run zip cord for the sub from both sides, perhaps one side from the speaker, the other from the amp. Do we see any issues here?

Thanks

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 230
Odd way of doing it, but I dont see why it wouldnt work? I'd be interested to see how the experiment goes though!
Why not just run sub seperately?
OR have connections done closer to the pre? Then split from sub? Seems like you will have the runs anyway no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4260
Yep, the runs must be made, anyhow. But the sub has spring clips, and I don't want to open my speaker runs for a spring clip, as they are hand soldered spades now.
I don't see it mattering either, David, and thanks, I will experiment and report back, after moving furniture, wires, vacuumn the carpet, etc, etc.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 231
As long as it dont rain,........................................you'll be fine!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4261
Hey, the Who are playing in the city close to me(London, Ont) tonight!

Rain on mee..RAINNN on mee...

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 232
And your still online?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4263
No tickets, no time..an hour away(lame, I know), too much going on here(including stereo)...Oy!

Coming soon...Elton John. I might try that one, but a Monday.
D'oh!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4267
I find myself a beatendown hopeless enthusiest.
I cannot get any bass at all from the room. Given that the layout is new, and no treatment at all, I can't get any bass at all.
Upstairs, the pictures are falling, the dishes are rattling, but I find no bass in the room at all.
Presently persuing treatments but these seem to be made for controlling the low's, not enhancing.

I be stuck.

Idea's?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 233
your about to have alot of time dedicated to just this one dilemma.

If you havent already tried, but Im sure you did, start by changing the direction sub is facing, youd be surprised how much it changes the response in the room.

I spent 3 full days with mine, 2 subs as opposed to one, but you will still spend some time on this.

Youll get the bass, in time, only thing is that to really get it right takes more time than dialing in your L/R.

It may even end up behind you, or off to the side in some undesireable location.

Turn sub (worked for me) volume down, so that when it is being heard, its not just because of the volume.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4270
Thanks, David. I have been moving the sub around a bit today, the wiring Q coming into play here.
Still moving, shifting. Dagnabbit!

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 198
call me, but not tonight. Still recovering from the Bears big win!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 234
how'd it work out? or has it yet?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4286
Hi David. It is working as advertised, but not to 100% satisfaction. I ended up plunking the piano black finished unit in the corner behind the left main. I can urge a great deal of bass from the sub, but not in as controlled a manner as I would have hoped.
The input are wildly varying(of course) and I am yet to find a well-rounded cutoff for the bass unit.
I am cutting at 55Hz now, giving the sub almost an octave to resonate or roll, but the mating to the Psb fronts is difficult to 'seam'.

The controls of the unit are fine, and seem to work as well as expected, but the combination(and my horrid room) seem to demand my attention a track at a time.(Uurg!)
However 'The Incredibles' went fairly smoothly, great bass response at the appropriate times.

The music smoothness is a difficult balance, given my lack of tonals, dependency upon recordings alone, and the horrid, awful things that recording engineers do to otherwise fine sounding pieces of music.
I swear, I cannot fathom what these people were thinking sometimes.

Overall it is OK, but as I said, one track at a time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us