Phase vs possition confusion.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 246
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

I'm busy building a sub, and in the mean time re-organizing the living room with a mind to where it might go.

As the front wall and front half of both side walls are glass(with thick curtains covering), and the front corners are taken up with massive bass traps, I am looking to place the sub in one of the rear corners, or centered on the wall behing the listening possition. (crossover @ 50hz)

The sub in both these possitions will be approximately the same distance form the listening possition as are the main speakers from the listening possition.

What I'm wondering is whether I will need to use the phase controll on the sub because of the fact that the sub is behind the listening possition? Or does the fact that it is equidistant from me mean that it will still be in phase with the main speakers even though they are in the other side of the room and facing a different direction.

Which brings me to my next question. What bearing does the direction of the sub have? i.e if it is at the back of the room facing forward would one need to set the phase knob to 180 to allow for this? And what if the sub is at the back of the room and both sub and and mains are firing directly at the listener making their relative possitions 90 degrees to eachother, would one need to maybe set the phase to 90 degrees?

When I get the sub made I'll experiment with all this to see what gives the flattest frequsenct response and what sounds the best, but I would also like to understand the theory behind all this. Many thanks to anyone who can help me understand better.

Cheers

Bevan

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4162
Well, hi again, Bvan.
A sub is meant to be omnidirectional, dispersing its waves throughout the room, and good ones do this. Like rel or M&K.
Hobbying, are we? Very good, then.
Bear in mind, the best subs are invisible. What XO are you using? Built-in kit for variable XO(Partsexpress)? How are you powering the unit, internal or external?
What driver have you chosen, do you have the thiele/small numbers on a reliable chart?

Sorry to make it difficult, but building a good one(better than Hsu) is difficult.

All the best!!

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 247
Thanks Nuck.

Ya, I'm just getting into DIY. built some fostex OB's and now a sub to go with some Zu Tones. here's the one:

http://www.customanalogue.com/sub_index.htm

seems easy enough to build, but I'm only guessing as to how it will sound. I want a sub for music that will blend in with the mains, which are 101db single drivers and very quick. plan to have it fill in bellow the Zu's natural 50hz roll off.

I've just moved into a house with a dedicated 6.5x4.5m listning room. With half the walls surfaces glass, Q=0.5 and 50lb of high density foam in the corners I'm hoping there wont be any boom or overhang.

I'd be very interested in your opinion of the prospective sub and any advice re setup of construction.

I've been away from the forum a while as I've been moving and settting up house. I'm still waiting for the Zu's to arrive and making do with the fostel full-rangers as mains. when I'm back in business I'll hopefully be back on these pages more.

i'm off to the store now to pick up some new cd's(ani difranco, thom york), will check in again later. cheers

b

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4165
Help, Tim!

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 137
Bvan,

You're already way ahead of 99% of the people in this forum, because they dont care enough about good sound to use them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us