Primare, Nait, Cyrus or Roksan?

Username: All_ears

Singapore

Post Number: 7
My current system is a NAD 320BEE and 542cdp with Quad 11L. I found the sound too bright and lacking in bass and was looking around for a better substitute.

I had the Primare I21 for a wkend home trial. Though it sounded richer and fuller with stronger bass and better soundstage, it did not convince me enough with the level of details and crispness.

For similar priced models, does anyone know of a better option to match my system? I heard the I30 in the showroom and found it warmer than then I21. It wd be great to audition it at home too. I listen to mainly vocals, jazz, pop and classical guitars.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 873
Raymond:

I would consider changing my speakers before changing my amp. Those Quads are very, very bright and I think they are the source of your dissatisfaction. You can always change your amplification, but to better the 'bee, you have to spend a lot of money and the Quads are very hard to match sonically (Nait is probably the best match). However, for the 'bee, check out a pair of the Dynaudio 42s, first. A superb speaker for your taste in music and an incredible match. I would also suggest the Paradigm Studio 20s, another fantastic pairing.

Singapore

Post Number: 9
Hi Hawk, many thanks for the inputs. It gave me a new perspective altogether; No offence but this is the first time I heard a comment that 11Ls are bright. Perhaps you are right! I always thought of it as being adept to midrange. Let me check out the Dynaudio but it would be hard to part with such a beautiful pair of speakers. Perhaps that's why I wd rather change the amp.

It was until I heard the I21 that I realised that the sound could have more texture and 3D effect to it. H/e, it's still bright at higher volumes ie >18. ah...I really love the finish and design. I shall check out the Naits (together with the I30); hopefully I can borrow it for a home trial too.

I will come back with some answers in a bit..

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 885
Raymond:

My conclusion about the Quads was based upon about an hour listening to them at a local dealer with a variety of electronics driving them. Yes, they are detailed, but perhaps too much so to the point of being harsh. I still see the Quads as a good match for Harman/Kardon or Pioneer Elite electronics, both of which have an extremely "laid back" sound that is a bit dark, as well. I am less certain about the Nait, but it is my best (educated) guess based upon my limited exposure to the Nait.

Look forward to hearing about your next steps.

Singapore

Post Number: 10
Hawk, I was in for an auditory assault this afternoon. I briefly tested a wide range components including the Dynaudio 52 and 52SE. I have compiled my opinions into the xls. Pls note that this is based purely on my limited experience on audio equip and the limited listening time in showroom trial.

I was amazed at how powerful the bass is coming from the Dynaudios standmounts but it lost out in midrange and treble. Nevertheless, I decided that vocal clarity, texture and sweetness are more impt than bass. I did not manage to try out the Naits.

I got the I30 for a home trial; It worked very well! No more brightness with e'thing retained. Warmer and richer. Just that it still lacked bass due to the small Quads. The soundstage is as big as the Nad. but it cost an arm...changing the cables to MIT bi-wire improved the sound quite significantly; the soundstage was bigger.

Lastly, the 320Bee is indeed a v v good amp.just a tad too bright. It's true that if you want a better amp, you need to part with a lot more cash. I did not hear a great deal of difference between the cyrus 6 and Nad given the big px diff.

Thanks for helping..
application/octet-streamUpload
review compilation.xls (15.4 k)

Bronze Member

Singapore

Post Number: 12
Hawk: Any comments on my review? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1661
Raymond,

Your review critiques the technical aspects of music reproduction well, but it does not mention anything to do with the emotional impact of the sessions. There's no mention of whether you found one set more involving than the next nor which performances affected you positively or negatively. Quite frankly (pun intended), there's no point in music reproduction withour an emotional response.

I would have been interested in seeing your reaction to the Naim Nait too.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Singapore

Post Number: 14
hi Frank, thanks for your comment. yes i agree that the simple review is mainly qualitative and lack the emotional experience. Fact is, i did not really enjoy almost all of them except the pristine I30.
Went ahead and bought it a mth ago. borrowed the CD31. together with MIT avt biwires and straightwire symphony ic, believe me, they really sing with the Quad 11Ls. Simply fab! even with my NAD 542cdp, still is wonderful just a little harsher and leaner sound.
i guess emotionally, this is the best setup. e'thing springs to life and vigour. think it wd be incredible with BW 805s.
cheers!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1673
Excellent news. Glad to hear that. I was concerned because I find very often that people get impressed by the technical aspects (very easy to do) and forget about the emotional impact side of things.

Glad to hear you got sorted out.
Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Singapore

Post Number: 15
Frank (or anyone), have you heard the I30 pairing with ProAcs? specifically studio 140. thanks.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1681
No I haven't I'm afraid. Art Kyle really likes the ProAcs. I'm not a believer.

Then again, I'm not really a believer in Primare either. :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1474
I'm with you Frank, regarding Primare. It sounds a little to cool and clinical to my ears. It doesn't have that "swing" either.

Username: Carlos_m

Great YarmouthEngland

Post Number: 9
Hi frank, I really loved when you talked about "the emotional impact".

Username: Hk_fan

Post Number: 10
Primare and ProAc Studio are go very well together. One of my friends has it and they sing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us