Boston Acoustics: general impressions/reviews?

Username: Djjdnewyork

Post Number: 4
Following up on a (very helpful back and forth) last evening, does anyone else in the know have a big picture take on Boston Acoustics floorstanding towers?
It's hard to gage online; every posted review attached to a product descrip will obviously be glowing. I'm weighing against Polk Monitor series speakers. (I'll test-drive both in shop, per forum recommendations.) Are Bostons the real deal, quality wise?

Bronze Member
Username: Heymaynard

Post Number: 19
Any time I have checked out the Boston's in the store I have always thought that they are quality build and have never heard other wise. I didn't care for there top end so I didn't buy them but they look solid.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1098
i would take BA over polk any day.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 113
Both BA and Polk make high quality products, and tbe performance of their speakers is competitive at the price points in which they compete. Beyond that, it is all up to your ears. Keep in mind though that there are a number of manufacturers that offer fine quality products, so if neither of them strike your fancy, you have hundreds/thousands of other options.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4422
I'd characterize the BA sound as being "bright" and detailed, Polk being more laid back and "warm" particularly their pricey top-shelf LSi models. The Polk Monitors are kind of in the middle somewhere. Neither are among my favorites, and I think you'll find better value going Internet-direct if you're hoping to stay within the P-Monitors' price bracket.

Bronze Member
Username: Pointe

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 42
My dealer carries their bookshelves to compete with PSB's line (I haven't listened closely to BA towers, though).

Generally, I found the BA sound to be very bright and lively on first listen. The PSB sound is slightly more repressed. But I've found with more listening that the BAs run out of gas and don't have the depth that PSBs have int the same range. The BAs can be a bit tiring and perhaps a little loose. PSBs are tighter and truer, IMO.

I am fan, and owner of PSB. I haven't had the chance to compare either to Polk.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1033
I've listened to most of the BA line and only some of the lower end Polk line. I'd take the BAs over the Polks that I heard. But, I'd also characterize the BAs as a little bright in the treble and not as engaging in the mids as many other speakers I've heard. The bass was OK but not what I'd call tight. As always, your mileage may vary and your ears are your best friends. Good luck, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3504
I was recently at a friends store who sells BA and rapped on the sides of the cabinets. I was shocked! It sounded like there was no bracing at all...just a nice hollow sound. Fortnately they sound better than their build quality would indicate. I still woudn't buy them and I told my friend that. The upper end Polks, for my ears sound better than BA's. The lower end Polk's (a group which the Monitor Series belongs to)...not so much. Frankly I think you can do better than either in the price range. Try PSB, Paradigm, Energy, and the list could go on and on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us