Speaker Wire

Bronze Member
Username: Jaday

SC

Post Number: 30
So I'm moving back into my dorm, and I bought a 50' roll of speaker wire to replace the cheap stuff I've been using for years. So I've already cut and run my fronts and center, now looking at the rear. It seems I'm gonna be running a few feet short. Now I have some other decent gauge wire that I can run, but my question is should I take the back-up wire and run to both rear speakers or still use the better stuff for one and the other wire for the second speaker?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9395
What makes the new speaker wire better?

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 31
Well, actually come to find out, the "other wire" was blowing my receiver... It was some extra subwoofer cable from Rockford Fosgate. I don't know why it would do that? Anyway, so I have the decent stuff, Monster Wire, probably 14 gauge or so, and then I have the stock stuff, somewhere around a 20 gauge. Some banana plugs I bought won't fit on my receiver, so I'll have to go to Best Buy soon, but I guess I ought to buy some more Monster wire there... Oh, and I'll finally be able to post some pics of my setup tonight!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9402
James, you have to hold on a minute here and step back. Wires do not have the capability to blow your receiver be it 20 gauge or 0 gauge, unless they are crossed. What made you come to this conclusion? How and where did you get this information?

What speakers are you using for your receiver?

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 33
Yeah, I mean, that's the only thing that I can think of... I mean, I checked all of the connections, there weren't any wires crossed, and it would cut off as soon as that speaker got anything sent to it. So I put the thin stuff on that speaker and now it works fine! I was really really confused... But yeah, I mean, I guess scientifically it doesn't really make sense... it just wasn't working. And the plugs on the back of my receiver are a pain to switch out, so I"m not really all that willing to try it out again :-)

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 34
<-- Feels Stupid... ok, so it's working :-) But back to my first question, should I keep the silvery Rockford Fosgate wire for one rear and the Monster for the other, or should I buy more Monster?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9403
What thin stuff?

You never answered my questions about the speakers and receiver. I hope you are not using car speakers and using it on your home receiver.

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 37
Alright, so I have speaker wire from this car audio "kit". Cable reads "Rockford Fosgate 16 AWG (1.31mm^2) Super Twist High Definition OFC Speaker Cable - 65 Strands." Safe to use for home theater speaker wire? And yes, after doing some rewiring, the receiver is sending out to all speakers through either wire. So again, I actually have three sets of wires, 1) the Monster, which I don't have the length, 2) the Fosgate, and 3) Thin crappy wire they throw in with HTiB's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9406
Speakers and receiver, man...not wire.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1581
James

Use the same wire for both rears, and preferably the same length too.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us