Polk Monitor (50 or 60) vs Boston Acoustics (VR1)

Username: Djjdnewyork

Post Number: 1
A real novice...but have enjoyed my Boston Acoustics floorstanding for 12 years, and need a new pair. The Polks (Monitor 50/60 series) sound great, but I've enjoyed my Bostons. Considering the Boston VR1 and the Polk Monitor 60 are at the same price point (approx $300 per), which do I go with? Figure someone has a black and white view on this (e.g., hell Bostons kick butt! Or, Go w/ the Polk!)
Comments??

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9368
Any reason why you need a new pair? Are the BA's shot or you just want a new pair of speakers. If you enjoy the BA's, what is it doing now that you feel they need to be changed?

Sound is very subjective and a black and white view is not anything you should place a lot of value in unless you have listened to both. The only view or hearing, for that matter, that is important is you.

Post Number: 2
Thanks B -

Yup, the left speaker is shot. Figure it makes sense to throw some shekels at a new pair.

Guess I shouldn't let the peak power per decide the matter? I.e., the Bostons are 150 watts peak; the Polk 60's are 200.

Also: generally speaking, is neither brand a hands-down winner over the other (e.g., are Bostons top-shelf next to Polks' Monitor line)?

Much appreciated!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9372
I wish it were that easy. Both speaker companies make wonderful speakers, and you are right, don't let the peak power handling decide. It will be hard to make or recommend a decision without comparing both. Have you had the chance to any speakers at all? What will you be using to drive the speakers?

Post Number: 3
I haven't listened to the Bostons in-shop yet (just basing my question on my long experience w/ my own Bostons) -- I definitely have to kick the tires (I was very impressed w/ the Polks...and those were just Monitor 50, not 60)!

Thanks again!

Receiver: I'll be using ye olde Sony receiver (STR-AV770), circa 1991! Is a receiver upgrade a must? (Guess I need to mesh my receiver power/output w/ the new speaker specs, eh?)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9375
Nah, I don't think a receiver upgrade is a must, specially if it is performing according to your taste. But I think it is time to ditch the Sony in favor of a different receiver :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us