Sub search help

Username: Ouman111

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 9
300 sq ft room with vaulted ceiling, music and movies equally, i have jbl e90s, jbl center, and bose surround with nonpowered amp, budget is important(no more than 300) i'm looking at jbl e250 and infinity ps10 based on cnet reviews(i know they arent that great) any help would be appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9232
Try the Athena line of subwoofers or look at Velodyne. To me, they sound out with more authority than JBL or the Infinity.

If you can get a B-Stock HSU for that budget, grab it immediately.

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 10
i found the hsu stf-1 for 299 plus 16 for shipping brand new from hsustore.com

great deal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9277
Yup.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4390
$300 max, the only Hsu you'll be able to get would be an STF-1, since the b-stock STF-2s are about $350 shipped.

Much better idea than the JBL and Infinity subs you listed would be the BIC Acoustech H100 at $280 shipped.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1062&sc=32&t=226

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 11
thanks guys, so, the hsu or the bic?

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 48
I have not heard either. However, the H100 seems very popular on online forums. Both are powered by 150 watt amplifiers. The H100 uses a 12 inch driver while STF-1 uses an 8 inch one. The specifications indicate the H100 plays lower frequencies (24 Hz vs 32 Hz). Since you said music and movies are equally important, I would suggest the H100. Purely for music, it might've been the HSU. You might want to check the dimensions of the H100 before purchase.

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 12
i got the h100 for 239 total, thanks again, i can't wait to get it, now i need a dvd player

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Neat!! Enjoy, and do post your impressions..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4393
wow, where'd you find it for $239 shipped?

DVD players: I'd look into Oppo 970, it's been getting a whole lot of buzz online.

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 14
homespeaker.com via shop.com, and Edster i'll check out the oppo, thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3767
Eddie doing what he does so well.Again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9321
That buzz happened with Apex DVD players back in 2001. Everybody and their uncles were running out and buying this seemingly affordable DVD player that can do it all for less than a hundred clams. It was one of the few DVD players that can play multi regions via a hack and some other miraculous crap. Darn thing turned out to be such a piece of junk.

This internet buzz is not a clear indicator of its quality. Maybe a few geeks liked it and that is all they talk about right now. But until its mettle can be proved, it is nothing more than buzz.

There is a reason why it is so cheap. We just haven't found out yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3768
Bernie, help me in computer Hardware wiil ya?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3769
Then teach me to type...DOH!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9323
Just posted a response.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3773
gracias.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4394
Berny,

I'd agree that Internet buzz is not the final word but it can point you in the right direction in terms of narrowing down your list of things to try.

With regard to the Oppo, as an Internet-direct product it does have a 30 day trial period so THAT is the final decider of its merit...whether you see any picture quality differences and if it holds up well.

The thing about Apex is that it's a mass-produced retail product at truly cut-rate prices. Oppo on the other hand appears to be something like Ascend, Hsu and SVS: a small manufacturer-direct company that is well known for excellent service and support. I also like the fact that they periodically provide free firmware updates which they notify you about.

Many people stupidly assume that they are safer by going with a big well-known retail brand when in fact those huge mega-corporations are often known to offer the crappiest warranty service of all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3776
Well, yeah, Ed, but little companies can find themselves mired in repair bills that will cripple a small operation.
I agree that big deal corps might see service claims a pain in the butt, but H/K fixed mine in a week, Panasonic fixed my camcorder in two weeks, we really have to look at the resources available to the customer and the company as well.
I ain't gonna argue corporate vs. small values, but resources available to the customer are a big deal when stuff dies.
Further, a good experience with a small net-shipper does not guarantee the depth of warranty service available from most big brand suppliers.
I have had exemplory service for the few times that I have needed it, all free including shipping.
I am not saying that the little guys are not willing or incapable of good service, the big guys have such an extensive network that the little guys might be there someday.

After so many horror stories about stuff online, I just cannot see a lot of benefit from shopping resellers.
Now, OEM, thats different.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4395
> Well, yeah, Ed, but little companies can find themselves mired in repair bills that will cripple a small operation.

EXACTLY...all the more incentive for them to get things done right the first time.

I've been fortunate not to have had any warranty issues with any of my gear, but have read a great many postings by people who did. HK does have a great rep for customer service, though there does seem to be a high number of QA complaints about them for whatever reason.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9327
Indeed, and by the same token there are also many people who stupidly assume that they are safer by going with a smaller company, which is not necessarily so. Although the DVD player has some pretty impressive specs and the well touted Faroudja chip (wonder what they skimped on to keep the price that low) they still haven't proven their mettle and comparing then with Ascend, HSU or SVS is a little premature. I'd rather wait and see than get mired in speculation.

Heck there is still that little format war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. I can't wait until the dust settles on that brouhaha.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Learnt from avsforum that the Oppo 971 had the Faroudja chip, but 970 does not...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=619439

Gold Member

Post Number: 4399
> they still haven't proven their mettle and comparing then with Ascend, HSU or SVS is a little premature.

huh?

They have been around for a while---they are not Johnny come latelys to this industry.

I think it is quite easy to imagine that the reason their 971 costs $200 compared to say a Denon 2910 costing 3 times as much probably does involve some compromises but that selling direct and probably getting it made very cheaply in Asian factories has something to do with it. I'm not saying the 971 is IDENTICAL to the 2910 of course, but I would not be surprised if much of the 2910's markup is derived from the prominent Denon clout and distribution channels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9330
So you know the company's history? How long have they been around? And more imprtantly, how long have they been making DVD players? The 971 was only introduced in September of 2005. I would hardly call that being around for quite some time. They were hardly known until the release of that model.

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 15
I ordered the Oppo and will let you know how it worked out, thanks.

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 17
I got the Oppo and so far so good, I do have a question about the setup though. The LPCM rate is supposed to be set but it says that my receiver(onkyo 503) must be able to support the setting(48k,96k,or192k) and I can't find anything about that in my onkyo maual. Should I just have it set for the 48k?

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 18
ok, i do have dts 96/24, so i should set it on 96?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9562
Brian,
Just set the receiver to auto-detect and leave it alone to do its job. :-)

Go here and read up on what 96/24 is.

http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/technology/faq.php#faq91

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 19
Actually, the Oppo is what needs to be set in the initial setup and I wasn't sure what my receiver would support.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9590
ooops, sorry...yup...96

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 20
thanks for your help Berny

Bronze Member

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 21
I have some more questions about my subwoofer, the BIC. I can't tell hardly any difference with the sub on or off. Am I just crazy? I can turn the sub off in the middle of a song or movie and can tell very little difference other than if I touch the sub I can feel it vibrating. I also thought the sound would be louder with the sub? it's not at all, what should i do?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 113
If you listen to a heavy LFE action segment in a movie and can barely tell the difference, something isnt right. The difference should be hugely obvious.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us