Von shweikert VR-2

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3726
I had a chance to listen to these speakers today(with Nad power), and found them quite good.
The Nad amp was at quite high volume and the drivers were excurting quite well, but the feeling of low bass was missing a bit.
Heres the link, with quite a bit of info there, however heres the question.
The impedence is steady and always above 10 ohm, doesn't this limit an amplifier?
Note speakers are rated to 300w.

http://vonschweikert.com/vr2.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 3746
Gosh, these seem popular.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3764
Flying off the shelves...

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1051
There's nothing wrong with a 10 ohm nominal load. It may (may) take a little more power to achieve the same SPL as an 8 ohm speaker but it's an easier load for an amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3766
Tim the amps are Rotel 100w and Classe 200w.
The rest of the lineup from VS are of a more standard 8 and 6 ohm variety.
Beyond the engineers opinion(which I will not question) where lies the advantage(if any) of the impedence factor?
The curve looks to be quite flat, and the response is rated 89.
Is this the right type of layout for a mid-level toober?
Beyone looking for a flat response, I am not so smart at toobs.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1053
Looking at the impedance curve I see lows of 7 ohms and the usual bass reflex double peak in the low frequency band. The rest of the curve looks pretty good. The next largish hump I would assume to be the XO point from the bass to the mid.
By reducing the wire size and increasing the number of windings on the voice coil impedance is increased as is sensitivity. Why VS chose to have the driver built this way is unknown but I'm guessing distortion levels are pretty low and there's nothing to indicate their decision was incorrect.
Keeping the impedance up reduces the amount of current required for large transients which makes life easier for any amplifier.
I know one designer in particular who believes in very low impedance in a certain frequency band because he thinks it sounds better. This makes it very difficult to mate up amps with his designs.

He's unemployed right now btw.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us