Which new HDMI reciever fits this setup the best or you would recomend?

Username: Beastie1

Frisco, TX United States

Post Number: 7
Hey guys it been a while since I have posted.

I am in need of a new HDMI capable receiver due to my setup and design. I do prefer to get an HDMI receiver that up converts anything to the HDMI monitor out so I only need to connect 1 HDMI to my 55" Hitachi Plasma that is mounted over the fireplace. Its really hard to run more wires in that position so this exposes reason #1 I need a new HDMI receiver.

Second reason is, my new Dish Network HD PVR system works best when using the HDMI output to my plasma. So I am currently using the only 300.00 HDMI cable that I painfully ran from my TV on the wall - behind the wall - to the stereo cabinet. But I now have a new toy that REQUIRES me to use HDMI yet again. And yes I "could" go buy another 300.00 cable and run a new one to it but I dont want to.

I bought a new Sony Vaio XL2 Digital Living Entertainment System PC and it now MUST use HDMI in order to display properly on my plasma. Dont ask why but component looks like crap and cant use it. And I am now having to switch HDMI connections each time I want to view DVDs, CDs, etc.. back and fourth from the Dish Network HD receiver.

So.... with all of that said: I would like to buy a new higher end unit that offers as many HDMI inputs as possible that up converts any video signal it receives.

Current HDMI things I need HDMI inputs for are: HD Satellite, Sony XL2 Media Center and my Xbox. The Xbox can stay on component if I have to but it would sure be nice to go all HDMI and reduce my cable wad by about 50%.

Now what receiver fits the bill here for around or under 3K USD?

My current setup is this:
Yamaha RX-Z1 Receiver
Yamaha M85 Amp
Yamaha Center Channel
BIC America (customized) speakers up by the plasma for "effects".
Paradigm Studio 100s on the front floor as mains - they were bi-amped from the Yamaha m85 because it literally has 2 separate amps in it.
Boston Acoustics for rear surrounds and center surround.
2 - 18" Cambridge Soundworks Subs used as end tables next to the couch.

So far I like the new HK AVR-745 but do not have any experience with HK as I have never owned them. I also like the new Yamaha RVX4600 as it looks promising. But none of these 2 have 3 HDMI inputs - not a big deal but if I can find an = to these in performance and price than I would probably take it.

Ok gurus let me know which receiver I should be looking at.

My listening is 80%HT and 20% music

Take care,
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4351
you're better off just buying an HDMI switcher:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E0R7ZW

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=569022

What puzzles me is why you would have the BIC speakers next to your monitor if you already have the P-100s as mains. Are you running the BICs off of the rx-z1's surround channels? In that case shouldn't they be positioned behind or next to your sitting position?

Frisco, TX United States

Post Number: 8
Well I am not interested in a switcher really. Adds one more remote to the mix or remotes. I was in the modd for an updated receiver anyways but now I have to in order to run this setup.

The BICs are running on my "front effect" channel that is a unique feature of this particular Yamaha Amp. Its a low 35watt seperate amp for "effects". I dont know if I will use them with the new amp as they may make into my office for my PC or in the garage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4356
Problem is I doubt you'll be able to find an AVR with 3-4 HDMI inputs.

The HK should have better music SQ than the Yamaha, but that will be less of an issue since you already have your mains on an external amp. Yamaha on the whole does seem to have a better reliability record than HK does though. In your situation I'd probably just get the less expensive of the 2.

The "front effect" channel is very intriguing. So on a 5.1 movie, does that mean your Yammie creates an extra 2 channels of sound? Is it supposed to enhance panning FX? Just curious, since this is the first I've ever heard of this feature.

Frisco, TX United States

Post Number: 9
I saw one reciever when I was browsing for hours the other day but forgot whihc one it was. I think it was an Outlaw but I am not sure. Yea it looks like 2 inputs is the par for now. 3 seems to be odd.

Well the Yamaha is about a grand less than the HK which makes for an easy choice although the new HK matches the decor of all of my other componets.. I dont mean to be sissy about it lol but its kept me coming back to it. Also its power is a bit low.. 75wats... not real impressed unless its a "low rating".

As far as the effect channel I am not sure how it is processed but I would be happy to email you the user manual in PDF so you can read about it. Its pretty cool. I will miss it on my next receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4357
yeah HK's rms numbers are notoriously conservative, Yamaha's are notoriously optimistic. I wouldn't worry about insufficient power from the HK. But with your M85 powering your mains, I'd personally get the Yammie and save $1K.

Outlaw would be worth looking into, have only heard good things about them.

btw I would think that you can find some $300 programmable universal remote that could control the HDMI switcher?

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 65
Edster,
Those are his presence speakers, and yes, they are in addition to 5.1.

Some receivers will allow you to run 7.1 with surround backs, or presence.
Your choice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us