Athena AS-F1's need some mates

Username: Decisions

Post Number: 3
I am in desperate need of a receiver and speakers. Thieves absconded with the ones I used, although they left behind a Pioneer Stereo Amplifier Model SA-9100 [has not been used in years], a Technics SL-23 turntable [ditto] and a Pioneer 563A DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player.

I have been looking and listening for quite sometime. I absolutely detest making decisions!

I finally purchased a pair of Athena AS-F1! I have yet to hear the Athena's but I am determined to be pleased with the sound. I plan to purchase a pair of Athena AS B1.2 for use as surrounds.

The system will be used 70/30 music/movies. $$$ limit me to 5.1 speakers, but would like a 7.1 channel receiver.

I've a couple of questions and hope you will share your opinions [just don't tell me to return those F1's and start anew!]:

Would the Athena C1 or C1.2 be a better choice for a center?

Am I better off staying with the Athena P4000 sub or is there another in the 170.00 price range I should consider?

I am considering the Marantz 5600 receiver, $450.00. Much reading tells me the Athena's may sound a bit bright, while the Marantz leans to the warm side. Correct? Is this receiver overkill/underkill w/the above speakers? Other 7.1 channel recommendations in the sub $450.00 range?

Many thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 430
I had the AS-F1 version one for a while. Note that the cabinet depth of version two was reduced in depth by about two inches changing it's sound character a bit, according to Athena. I have not heard version two. I had the AS-F1s hooked up to Marantz, Rotel and NAD. The Marantz was a good match, balancing out some of the brightness. I did find that there was always a lack of energy, regardless of amp in the upper bass/lower midrange region making voices sound thin. Since you plan to use these in a suround system you may find that this range is reinforced by the other speakers.

Your not going to find anything better than the Athena sub for that price and you may as well get the C1.2 center since it will be easier to service if needed since the previous model is discontinued.

Username: Decisions

Post Number: 5
Thank you Rick for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.

You make a good point inre C1 vs. C1.2.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 431
The Marantz units are good so when you upgrade your speakers in the future it will still be able to serve you well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us