Weak sound from my speakers... no power!

Username: Unclemo

Libertyville, IL USA

Post Number: 1
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 8000 and it is driving Polk Audio RTI10s. It feels like it has absolutely no power... like on a soft mute or something. I have to put the volume almost all the way up to comfortably listen to anything. I know these speakers are not the best and my reviever is a lot nicer... but, my 15 year old pioneer with $100 Jensen speakers sounded stronger. Any advice??? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1676
Plug the Polk into the 15 year-old Pioneer to compare.

Username: Unclemo

Libertyville, IL USA

Post Number: 2
I don't have those speakers anymore.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1677
I meant into the other receiver. I guess you don't have that either...

The sensitivity of the Polk is listed at 89 dB/W/m. It should get fairly loud at -10 dB on the dial.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3484
Richard, check the manual and do what it says to reset the unit to default.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 479
Richard check your settings as the AVR 8000 is one of the most powerful receivers HK ever made. The RT series from Polk are decent, of course there are others out there that offer more for the same amount of money, but I think you may have your speaker polarity(wires) incorrect, this can result in weak,hollow sound,assuming the rec. doesn't go into protection when the speaker wires are wrong(most HK's do.) The RT is a moderately demanding speaker but the HK should be more than adequate for this speaker. If a setting or wiring is not to blame then there is definately a problem with the receiver as this AVR is very strong with a torridial transformer power supply that should be able to drive almost any speaker within reason with authority and rivals some decent entry model multichannel amps.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1678
Maybe the speakers are set to small and there's no sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 50
It sounds like you have some definite setup issues. Something must be connected or calibrated wrong.

You'll want to refer to your manual & double check your connections & settings, because diagnosing what you did wrong wont be easy based on the above information. It could be any number of things.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 51
The RT series from Polk are decent, of course there are others out there that offer more for the same amount of money
-------------

LOL
Jesus Christ man!
Did you really need to say that? Im sure he disagrees, or else he wouldnt have purchased those speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1050
" I have to put the volume almost all the way up to comfortably listen to anything."

Could you be more specific, what level on the volume scale do you have to use to listen to CDs, what level for movies - ie analog vs digital.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 480
Excuse me Rush, just stating my opinion, that is allowed here or is it not?!!, You are right though it was not relevant to the thread, my apology to Richard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us