Help Please: Spkrs for HK 340 Receiver

Username: Sb4wvu

Post Number: 2
(1) Hoping to get some recommendations on a good set of speakers that will be a good fit for my new HK 340 receiver. Will use 70% HT/30% Music. Budget: $1000-$1400

(2) I already have a pair of JBL HLS410 (old, but great shape) bookshelf speakers...thoughts on using these as my L/R rear speakers? This would allow me to put more money towards the remaining speakers.

Thoughts please..thanks a bunch!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 256
Well, I find they mate quite well with Polk. Perhaps you should try listening to a pair of RTi8's as the mains, mated with a powered sub. I don't know if you have a centre channel or not, but I have a CSi3, and that seems more than enough (the '5 was just too honking huge even for me). None of this will be overly expensive (as in well within your stated budget cap of 1400$ if you shop smart) and they will mate quite well (in my opinion) with an HK AVR.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4331
ascendacoustics.com

Best bang for the buck, hands down. On that budget I'd use the JBLs for rears and get:

Ascend CBM-170SEs L/R + CMT-340SE center
with Hsu STF-2 sub, $1073 shipped
or with Hsu STF-3 sub, $1293 shipped

Which sub you get depends on the size and layout of your room.

The chief designer of Ascend, David Fabrikant, actually recommends HK for their speakers and they do carry HK receivers on their website for that reason. His logic is that the Ascends' neutrality blends seamlessly with the neutral-to-warm quality of the HKs.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 257
N.B. I am not one of those OMFGZORZS!!?? U MU$7 7im3rr m@7ch uR $p33kzorzs!!!! Use your JBLs as the surrounds.

Username: Sb4wvu

Post Number: 3
Thanks...sounds like the Ascend package is a perfect match. How does Ascend compare to Axiom and Polk when matched with an HK receiver and an HSU or SVS sub? I like the looks of the Axiom speakers a lot.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4332
Axiom is often criticized for being overly bright (aluminum tweeters) and Polk doesn't provide very good value for the price, though their LSi line is IMO very pleasant for music if you have a strong amp. With your budget you'd only be able to get the RTi line though (RTi6 for mains and CSi5 center), which is not in the same league as the Ascends.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3428
I have another speaker brand with metal domes and was able to get a set of silk domes as a changeout set, with good results. Changing often is obviously inconvenient, I swap month to month.
Not sure if Axiom offers a set, but mine work ok.

BTW, Axiom offer tours and listening sessions at the factory north of Toronto, and have been very friendly and helpful when I had a chance to call.

Mr. Fabricant is the same way, as I understand, very helpful and not embarassed to have someone choose other than his own brand.

These are good people to deal with, all around.

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 81
http://www.axiomaudio.com/ep600_main.html
tower sub that wicked

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 260
Steve, its not a bad thing that you have narrowed your search field through forum hunting, but I highly recommend you listen to at least your 3 main choices (Ascend, Axiom and Polk).

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8853

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/186180.html

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 267
or add another to your list... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums