Need help choosing a new Receiver

Username: Scoob101

Barnstaple, Devon UK|

Post Number: 3
I`ve been trawling the net for some time now, looking for a new receiver, and I`m more confused than ever - Hoping you guys can help.

I have a pair of B&W DM610's connected to a Technics SADX-930 receiver.

Music is served up via a Roku Soundbridge connected digitally via TOSlink. The DAC on the Soundbridge is not great so my next receiver must have a decent quality DAC. I can't afford a stand alone DAC so I'm looking for a musical receiver with a half decent DAC.

Movies are less important than music performance, but I will be using the receiver for 5.1

I'd also like to run a second set of speakers to another room at a later date so zone 2 support is needed.

My budget is c.£500, any suggestions gratefully received!

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 157
Wow, you really need to go to a dealer and lay that all on them. And buy it there if they take the time to help you. Time and advice is not free. Support your loacl shop.

Barnstaple, Devon UK|

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the unhelpful reply. I see that your time and advice are beyond the reach of someone such as myself, which prompts the question why you bothered to waste your time posting a reply in the first place. If you don`t have anything constructive to say, might I suggest that you don`t say anything.

I was under the misguided impression that offering a little advice was one of the reasons these boards were set up in the first place - I`m obviously wrong. My apologies.

I`ve already been to my local hifi shop, and they were a total waste of time. I have to drive 50 or 100 miles for the other alternatives, and I can`t transport my speakers that far (impactical car).

Never mind, Looks like I`ll have to take pot luck. All I was after was a couple of model numbers.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 42
Steve,
Your budget will severly hamper your search for 2-zone receivers. Im not sure off hand what is available in that price range.

A few brands you might consider that may have the features you need are Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha. Many of the other popular brands may price themselves out of your budget. You might be able to find something from last years models in the above brands with TOSlink & 2-zone capability that may fit your budget. Getting picky about DACs is another thing entirely on that budget.

How does your budget translate into dollars??

about $800--900?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3458
Naomi Watts 555-1881.
Model number.

Kidding.

Steve, have a pint, Mate!
You need not cart your goods all about to find the piece. Simply call or email the shop and see if they have a pair in the back or in the bin to try with a receiver.Many will. Or try the closest pair.
Multiple zones=poor power and often quality.
If 5.1 is a must, you can gather a number of pre-owned bits at good prices from a shop or elsewhere, a shop being my preference.
Extra features are taken right out of the important parts of the gear.
I like stereo, and a nice pre-loved(love the term) integrated from Arcam may be out there for you.
With dual pre-outs, another wee amp will play another room(albeit the same program material).

Barnstaple, Devon UK|

Post Number: 9
Pint consumed. Feeling much better ;-)

Wow, the impression i`m left with after these replys is that my budget is optimistic.

Let me see if I can answer your points, and give you a little more idea of where I`m coming from.

Firstly where I am today. My (six year old, cost £400)technics must be the pits in terms of audio quality, especially considering i`m using its onboard dacs for stereo audio. So my mindset is that whatever I go for, It`s going to be an improvement. Is that fair?

Regarding being picky about DACs, I guess I`m picky compared to what I have today. I would hope / assume that DACs (even in low end receivers) have moved on since 2000, and that I`m going to get an improvement by default.

I`m a little surprised that 2 zone=bad, I thought that it was offered on most receivers? (my technics has it, but I have impedence issues, which is why I`ve not used it). Anyway, if the right receiver is out there and I have to sacrifice zone 2, well so beit. It won`t kill me.

5.1 is certainly essential, as I intend to push 3 5.1 devices into it (DVD,Sky+, and games console).

Nuck, I notice you say that I could gather some pre-owned bits - that seems to refer to multiple deices. Are you talking about a seperate integrated amp and 5.1 decoder? I was origially intending to go for one box. It was going to be a second hand Arcam AVR-200 (can pick up on ebay for £350) until I found out that the DACs are not brilliant. That was confirmed by a mate who purchased one at the same time I was looking.

And Rush, your $ to £ conversion is about right.

Cheers for all the comments thus far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3464
Steve, the plural was intended to imply various 5.1 receivers to consider, sorry.
The Arcam 200 is not at the top of their line, to be sure but careful shopping, even online of used stocks can be rewarding. I've just had a spot of luck myself.

Have you tried the analog outs from the player into the receiver, BTW?
This should bypass the receivers converters and use the players.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1673
Seems to me that there are lots of 7.1 receivers that that do 5.1 + zone 2 stereo in that price range, like a bunch of h/k receivers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3466
Any used Harmon Kardon receivers available in Barnstaple, Devon Steve?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1675
Why used?

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/121601/14187487.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 3474
Very good, Peter, I don't look up UK sites very much.
How's that, Steve?

Barnstaple, Devon UK|

Post Number: 10
Thanks very much for the HK recommnedation.

Nuck - as for the analogue outs from my player, they are not very good. I use a digital music player (Roku M2000) which plays lossless music. Functionally, its superb, other owners have commented that it crosses swords with high end transports. But the internal DACs will do no justice to a half decent amplifier. This is why I`m specicifically after reasonable DACs in the receiver (well, as good as I can get within my budget, anyway).

Bronze Member

Barnstaple, Devon UK|

Post Number: 11
Now off to trawl the web for a HK bargain! Thanks again for your time guys.

Bronze Member

Barnstaple, Devon UK|

Post Number: 12
Now off to trawl the web for a HK bargain. Thanks guys!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us