Replacing my "low-fi" Sony set with B&W, NAD & REL?

Username: Machuidel

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my Sony "low-fi" set with the following:

- 2x B&W DM602 S3
- NAD C325BEE (The successor of the NAD C320BEE)
- Rel Quake II

I would like to use this combination mostly for playing and producing Reggae, Jungle, Drum'n'Bass and (Dark)Ambient. These styles of music are usually full of bass but still I find the mids and highs very important.

In the future I may also want to play classical and experimental music (musique concrete) like John Cage, Philip Glass etc.

My current room is 5x4 meters. My next room might be approx. 10x5 meters.

Now I have the following questions:
- Does anyone have any experience with a similar combination?
- What cables can I use for the speakers, interconnect (if I need it) and sub? I'd like to bi-wire my speakers.
- What other combinations do you recommend? Different speakers? Different amp? sub?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3255
How about a good source?
cdp?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4303
wow, talk about an upgrade!

Post Number: 2
One of my sources is an Edirol FA-101 firewire soundcard which I will use with my laptop. This laptop will act as a CD player and a sampler for my MIDI instruments.

I will buy a dedicated (better quality) CD player at a later time.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 646
I would recommend the C352 min for that size room especially if you like loud listening levels at times. I have the 602's (and the C162/C272 combo) and while the 325BEE does have decent power for the money, these speakers really thrive on power (their impedence can drop to around 3ohms). Try the 325 if you like but see if you can upgrade if necessary.

AmsterdamThe Netherlands

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the suggestions My_Rantz. The C352 is sure something I will try.
I just read http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AX201DA.pdf about the 602's impedance at different frequencies and agree the 325bee might not be such a good idea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us