Suggestions for reciever and amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 99
I need a recomdation for a reciever and a amp(s). Right now I have paradigm monitor 9 fronts (I want a stereo amp for these beasts), a cc370, and monitor 3 rears (I wouldnt mind a amp for these guys, but, nothing massive). Also, a pw-2100 sub. Im looking at probably $2500 for everything. I need 7.1 in my amp, so that I can upgrade and add more speakers. I want something like a 150watt stereo amp for the fronts, and probably a 100watt stereo amp for the rears (if you think I should even use one).

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3254
Jeffrey, re-read your post.
Breathe deeply.
Now, what do you want?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4304
If you have any friends/relatives in the US who can receive this for you and then you can come and bring them back: HK 635 from 6ave.com ($550 shipped) and a pair of Outlaw 200watt monoblocks ($600).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Well, I need a new reciever. 7.1 audio, etc, something nice, with all bells and whistles. Also, because I have fairly large front speakers, I want a seperate stereo amp, or mono blocks for the front (i like that idea, more flexable).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3257
OK, thats a little simpler.
Knowing that 7.1 is just 5.1 with more mono channels, are you planning on using the dual zone function of the receiver?
Would 5.1 work for the one room as well as 7.1?
See 5.1 would free up sacd and dvda without the bells, whistles and hockey card in the spokes of 7.1.
Particularly if you want more power for the 3 channels, the extra channels are quite unnecessary, some might think.

Ed, its 8% duty at the border because the goods are not made in USA, plus 15% tax on top of the price AND the duty.
Tax on a duty. Nice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Ok, the sales guy I alwayse deal with (honest, and cuts good deals) recommended me the denon avr-4306 (it will cost me $2500cad with tax). Now, the other reciever I am highly interested in is a marantz sr7500. I really like the marantz because this is the reciever I auditioned my speakers on. However, Jason (my sales guy) speaks high praise of the avr4306, and he told me that this guy will give my speakers all the power I need, and I wont need to even dream of adding mono blocks or stereo amps. What do you guys think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Ive also noticed the marantz sr8500, wich looks alot like the denon avr-4306, only a bit cheaper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3259
That seems like an awful lot for a Receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Thats the price range I want to be in. I want a reciever that has all teh bells and whistles, but, has the power I need for the next 20 years. I ploped down $3500cad on speakers, so, I cant through a wimpy reciever to it. And, if I get the marantz, or the denon, I wont need to add mono blocks, or stereo amps, those recievers to up to 130watts rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3260
Jeff, check the weight and power consumption of each of those units and compare.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 645
From your choices, for music especially, I'd go for the Marantz SR 8500.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1134
Ditto

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 38
Well, to be open and fair, I own a Denon 3803. Its 7 channels of unadulterated power running 110watts per ch, at 8ohm. But the true power of it is capable 150watts per ch at 6ohm. Now this receiver may be 3 yrs old, but it can drive the best of the really high end. With most reviews I have read concerning Denon, it competes with THX Ultra 2 certification and it doesnt meet that spec, but blows it away a lot of the time to need it.
When you see a Denon receiver that says 7.1, you are paying for 7.1 stereo, not mono sound. My receiver can power 9.1 if need be, but that last 2 sets of speakers is mono audio bcuz it feeds off the normal 5.1 audio output, but my 2 back channels are for 2nd zone out or 7.1 back channel surround. I have done the set up on SACD as well, and you can have great sounding 5.1 audio thru that source. If you actually read the manuals online for receivers, you will find many things about that system that they dont tell you in reviews.
The choice is yours to make Jeff, but go with what you feel is rite for you. We are only here to help advise and criticize. But as a Denon owner, I can vouch for the power output these systems have. Let the power be your guiding light.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 649
Well, that's great Mike, I have a Denon DVD-2900 universal whuch I swear by, but I have heard Denon receivers and I also have a Marantz SR-7300, and I find, with a/v receivers, Marantz is the more musical of the two.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4306
Yeah based on recent listening at a local Tweeter I also found the Denon and Yamaha high end receivers to be less than musical. Crisp and clean yes but the Pioneer Elite AVRs they had were more pleasing to my ears.

On the other hand for primarily HT usage not sure how important this musicality really is...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3261
I would be shopping down Barret street in the shops for pre-loved equipment as well, Jeff.
A reasonable trade in receiver and some multi-channel power amps could be very flexible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Where is barret street exactly? Im not good with street names. Im (espically after your opinions) leaning toward the marantz name. This is a music system first, secondly a movie/theator system. I want the most power imaginably (in my price range), and, Marantz sounds like a killer reciever. Im not buying for a fwe months, yet, so, well see what I get.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3266
Would you believe Barrington?
Havn't been down there for a while, sorry, Jeffrey. I remember some nice shops down there with large used and demo depts.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1509
Not sure how much it is, but the new Arcam AVR350 is a cracking receiver. It's 'only' 100 watts or so but those watts seem to be able to drive most speakers like you wouldn't believe.

For anyone who's wondering, it's a lot better than the AVR300...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us