Giant Subwoofers

Bronze Member
Username: Zenmasterbrian

Post Number: 12
Where can we get a giant subwoofer, larger than 15 or 18 inches, and with a very low free space resonance. Some pipe organs go real real low. I'm talking about a raw driver that would be used to make a large built-in home audio subwoofer. I've heard rumors of 32", and even 60".

Silver Member
Username: Dandandan

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 146
really wow can u show us a pic of the 60

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The 60 and the 32 where rumored to come from Clarion, but made by Mitsubishi. Can't confirm. Googling "60 inch subwoofer" or some such did come up with a picture of a 60 made by MTX, a one of a kind for competitions.

Lets keep this thread going so we can collect all the info on such giant subwoofers.

Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 2
http://www.digitalgrabber.com/images/reviews/bigsub/60Inches.jpg
This might be slightly overkill.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3269
Hey look it's Mike Keenan in 85 with a big sub!

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1064
hey brian, you posted in the wrong section. we could care less for MTX, or kicker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3283
What freakin' car would that go in?
A cement mixer's cargo space?
Dr Emmett Brown's bus?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Rush, that is the picture of the 60 I was referring to.

Christopher, why don't you read this thread from the begining.
Raw drivers for subwoofers invariably crosses into territory of car audio. I'm no car audio fan either.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1066
news fash, no one is going to use a 5 foot subwoofer in their house. it is bound to sound like sh!t. no one in their right mind would use a car audio driver for home audio use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Christopher, I'm not really advocating one that big. But I am interested in a lower frequency limit, like for organ music.

I hear the intensity of your pronouncements. Might you be able to elaborate a little further so we can understand you some.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3337
hehe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
A bunch of us are discussing this subject at
diyaudio.com -> loudspeakers -> subwoofers ->
giant subwoofer?

I invite you all to register and join us there.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 19
There are plenty of subs that have fairly strong response down near 10hz. There is no need to buy anything with a huge driver to reach really low.

If you want to go really deep on a budget, look at SVS subwoofers. You'll be hardpressed to find another sub within their price range that can go as deep, or kick out the SPLs in a refined manner like the SVS brand.

Of course, if you want to get the most out of any soundsystem, you'll want to treat your room acoustics. Proper bass trap placement will make your subwoofer sing like never before.

Bronze Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 68
Chris Lee. Go die. Please?

Bronze Member

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 69
Your hated eveywhere. Not just my opinion. I picked some sh@t out of my shoe today and I called it a Chrislee. Go figure. Have a nice day.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Rush, the issue seems to be whether one wants to go below the free space resonance or not.

Tell me more about SVS.

We have been discussing this at length now at diyaudio.com -> loudspeakers -> subwoofers -> Giant Subwoofer.

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 2108
Quote "news fash, no one is going to use a 5 foot subwoofer in their house. it is bound to sound like sh!t. no one in their right mind would use a car audio driver for home audio use."

Quite the contrary. MANY people use a high end "car audio" driver for home audio. An example:

http://www.stereointegrity.com/hometheater.html Scroll to the bottom.

I am currently in the middle of a HT subwoofer using a "car" sub it it Will produce magnificant results.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1106
I was thinking of taking my JL audio w6v2 to the house and trying it out. definitely would be new territory and take some trial and error with the box, but it has to slam. Especially if the same company is making $2500 home subwoofers and getting rave review in magazines. Hmmmmm.......planning.....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1147
do you have nothing better to do paul? get a life man. you get a something max size of maybe 20" you can get great results, many home audio companies have done this and are well repsected for it. a 3 foot sub will never have the same speed and accuracy of a much smaller sub like a 12" or 10" unless you have a magnet the size of a car and a whole power grid to get the sub moving. with that it is impractical for normal use. 90% of car audio is crap. its for the generation of music listeners that are more intent on getting the lowest freq. possible with the highest SPL without spending too much. you are dealing with a space that is extremely smaller than even a small room in a house or apt. totally different acoustics totally different design goals. you can buy a nice car audio sub and make a nice home audio sub, but that is a very small and expensive group of product that we are talking about. stop sh!tting bricks and move on. didnt realize i had to make all this known. i thought that in the home audio section this would have been common sense.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4922
1.21 Gigawatts!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4923
And CL, thank you for pointing out the home audio profile.

We DO however like links to awesome stuff!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1149
no doubt its a work of engineering, just dont know why people cry when simple facts are being told

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1150
to add to further differences: differences in impedence requirements of the subs themselves and the amplifiers driving them. then there are the amplifiers themselves. home audio uses 120/220V depending on region of the world but thats loads higher than the average 12-14V of a car which changes the current requirements for the amps to get the approriate wattage/work for the subs to work. thats further adds to differences in designs of the subs themselves. there may be no difference in what the subs themselves see in either case but the difference exists nonetheless. if you want to pick a fight with me paul try harder next time and dont bark up a tree that doesnt really care. and by that i mean dont try so hard by attacking me multiple times with nothing to back up your attack on me. im surprised you didnt add any of your pointless pictures to this thread to further your bad arguements.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 999
If you get down to the 10hz territory, you won't make it to the toilet!

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 78
http://www.avguide.com/product?id=2528

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1123
That looks pretty darn impressive. So does the price tag too!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Yes. $30,000USD, not Pesos.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4945
But do I need 'devestating' bass?

Well yeah, but...

Oh honey, it matches the dishwasher!?...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
I hope Howard Stern doesn't get a hold of it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us