Big Decision between Klipsch SF-2 or 3, Pinnacle Classic Gold Tower, or Athena AS--F2??

Username: Snooker

St. Pete, Florida US

Post Number: 1
Hey there, I'm new to this website and have been looking around for awhile and am trying to figure out what is the best floorstanding speaker between the models listed above. I have been reading really good things about all the speakers but am wondering what yall may think.

I am going to be listening to mainly music (yes, some loud) with some movies mixed in and I may add to it later but for right now just the floorstanding speakers.

I'm trying to decide between the Pinnacle Classic Gold Tower, the Klipsch SF-2 or SF-3 (depending on what price I can get), or the Athena AS-F2.

Any help and/or information is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Casey

St. Pete, Florida US

Post Number: 2
Umm, I guess this would've helped out a little more.

Anyways, my receiver is a Sony STR-DE915 and am trying to figure out what the best speakers will be with that receiver (for music, loud and regular and movies). I want to get good speakers so I can upgrade the receiver later down the road.

The Pinnacles are out of the questions and I am up for suggestions on other speakers as well.

Hope I get a response.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4277
not familiar with Pinnacle, but I'd take the Athenas over the Klipsch any day.

St. Pete, Florida US

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info. I'm just curious but what sets the Athenas above the Klipsch as far as sound (highs, mids, and lows), durability, etc??

Thanks again

Gold Member

Post Number: 4279
I found the Klipsch to be more fatiguing, plus they are a lot more. THe F2.2s can be had for $400 shipped from audioadvisor.com

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 87
Casey,
I have Klipsch reference series but they are a little different than the synergy. I mostly do HT and when the radio or cd is on I typically don't listen to them at really LOUD levels, but i do listen to them pretty loud. However i'm usually not sitting on the couch "critical listening" i'm usually doing something or walking around the house.

The problem that I found is that on the RARE chances that i'm just sitting around listening they seem like the get louder so i repeatedly turn it down. Now that is usually when i'm reading and i'vd been listening to them for an hour or more, so maybe they are just more distaracting than getting louder.

That is probably what Edster is meaning by fatiguing.

I haven't heard the Athena's so i cant vouch for them.

I personally like the forward sound of the Klipsch.

Like all audio stuff the best reccomendation is to listen to them in your house (if possible) and let your ears tell you what you like

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3216
Chris, that could be one of the best descriptions of fatiguing that I have read in a while.

Never heard the Athena's either. However, for budget listening, they have a very favorable profile of owners.

Bronze Member
Username: Gmanchefboy

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 39
Casey,
What's your speaker status now? If it's decent, upgrade that Sony asap. I hate to rag on your receiver, but I feel justified since I owned that exact model Sony. To be truthful, I thought it sounded pretty good, though I did feel it lacked a little of the punch of my previous Sony. Luckily, I had just discovered this site when it died. Started reading and replaced it with a refurbished Harmon Kardon for $330 delivered. I was SHOCKED. The HK sounds Massive in comparison, so much fuller, richer and BIGGER.
Yes, the Sony is rated at 100 watts and the HK only 70, but the power consumption for the Sony is 290 watts, while the HK draws 890. My guess is that the Sony is about a 35 watt receiver. Again, I'm not trying to bring you down, merely sharing my experience with the 915. I'm just thinking that your going to hook up your new speakers and wonder why they didn't put the thump in the box. Hell, I'm pissed at myself for letting Sony pull that one, along with others, over my eyes.
My point is that if you have some decent speakers you may want to consider that you would greatly improve your sound by upgrading the Sony. If that's not the case - enjoy the new speakers, study-up on this site and look forward to getting some real power behind them. Good Luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 31
I have a 100 wpc Sony receiver as well and Wharfedale 8.3 speakers. The receiver is not up to the task of driving these speakers. Mids and highs are ok at low volumes. At moderate volumes, there is no separation and the bass is muffled. The Sony is probably better suited to driving satellite speakers set to 'small'. If you want to keep the receiver, I'd recommend getting speakers with high sensitivity. I know Klipsch are, dont know about Athena.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4285
Athenas are high sensitivity, around 90-91db I think for the bookshelves and maybe 93db for the towers. The Wharfedales are more around 86-87db and are 6 ohm speakers so yes they do need better juice.

Klipsch are closer to 95db and up, at least the K-horns. Not sure about their lower end speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1627
Not that it matters, but KHorns are at 104 db sensitivity.

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 86
While Klipsch speakers are known for being incredibly sensitive, they are also known for having impedance swings which might not be suitable for a Sony receiver. Don't know how the others rate in this regard though.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1628
Stephen,

I'm not sure about the Synergy line. Some Reference speakers are indeed hard to drive (The RF-7 drops to 3 ohms) but the Heritage line are fairly benign.

St. Pete, Florida US

Post Number: 4
I really appreciate the feedback on this. GmanChefboy, I have never really had good speakers and that's what needs the help now and soon after, the receiver is going to get upgraded. But thanks, I realize a lot of people don't think about that.

I will tell you that I am learning a lot from this forum and really appreciate.

I am most likely going to go with the Athena Tech AS-F2.2. When I receive them I will let yall know how they are.
Thanks
Casey

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1216
do NOT pair klipsch with sony, the result will not be pretty.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 53
If you're considering Klipsch, pass on the Synergy models and give their Reference speaker an audition because they are in a different league.

Athenas are OK compared to other bargain basement speakers, but you can do much better with the Klipsch Reference speaker.

You owe it to yourself to seek them out. You'll need to go to the Klipsch website and do a zipcode dealer search, because you wont find Reference speakers selling at big box stores.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1242
agreed, but you can still do better than the refs. I do not much care for the new series.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1243
sorry... that was supposed to read:

you can do better than synergy. don't care for the new series although better than the previous.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us