Edster Will Like This - Hey, It's All About Timbre, NO?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 975
OK guys,

The house sale is finally moving forward, the new house is wired for 7.1 and I didn't want to start this system all over. (Sorry Tim, I really considered moving to the Emmas but the wife balked, given that the Ascends are less than a year old.)

So, I just purchased a couple of Ascend CMT 340SEs on stands for fronts and I'm moving the CBM 170s to the sides and rears while keeping the 340c center. (I considered sending the 340c to be upgraded but I just didn't think the specs and new graphs showed me enough impromvement for the bucks.)

Anyway, this is just an update and a chance for everyone to kibitz. It's a done deal so I'm not going back at this point. The new room is actually quite a bit larger than the current room because I use the long wall for my system and the front and rear speakers are only about 10 feet apart and the listening position is about 9 feet away.

The new room is rectangular with the fronts and rears on the short walls so it will be a much deeper space to fill. We'll see how it all works out. Geronimo!!!! LOL

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4260
cool, let us know how you like them when they arrive.

So you're going to have three of the 340s across the front and then four 170s for surrounds? Wow! I forgot what receiver/amp you'll be using with them?

Oh and then take the 340SEs in for a direct AB with the Studio 40s, heh!

Silver Member

Post Number: 978
I'm using an Adcom 7.1 with 125 wpc through the Outlaw 970 pre/pro and the Denon 2200 Universal DVD and whatever digital box Comcast gives me. My origional system has been completely eradicated in less than a year because of you guys. LOL

The new system will play about 90% HT and HDTV now because my 2 channel system is used almost exclusively for stereo. I'll use the new system for SACDs and DVD-A on occasion.

Ed, you know I don't have any Paradigm dealers in the audio desert. I had to go to Salt Lake City to hear them last time. I may visit Seattle in the next couple of months and I'm going to be in Las Vegas in July. If there's a recommendation in either town, I'll try to get by and listen to some other equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4261
And you still have the M&K sub, right?

I forgot what your 2-channel system consists of, other than the big Altec Lansings.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3429
TOOBS!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
Ed,

I've still got the M & K sub. OK, so one piece survived the year long search for better sound, LOL.

The two channel system is simple. Fisher tube amp, 25 wpc, Arcam Diva CD source to Altec Lansing Stonehenge IIs through 12 gauge bare wire connections and the spiffy interconnects I got from England between the Fisher and Arcam. Sounds incredible most of the time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4262
sigh, I've been meaning to hit one of the 2 local Paradigm dealers here in Houston who's said to be real big on tubes and lets people bring in their own speakers for a listen.

Problem is, the blue-Tac on the bottom of my Ascend 340s seems to have turned into concrete because I'm unable to remove them with gentle pressure, am afraid that a strong jerk would probably take off chunks of the veneer...

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
Art & Ed,

What Art said.

lol

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 113
Those M&K subs are nice. I keep hoping Ascend does some subs since Dave F worked on those M&K subs when he was with them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 987
Quinn,

This is a 10 year old, double firing 12" subs and they still rock a fairly large room pretty well.

I think that since Dr. Hsu was also a M&K guy that they're getting similar quality and power at a fairly reasonable price. Although, I still occasionally go to the M&K site and look at their closeouts to see if a bargain drops in my lap. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 4272
Dr. Hsu used to work for M&K?

I had no idea...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3431
"Problem is, the blue-Tac on the bottom of my Ascend 340s seems to have turned into concrete because I'm unable to remove them with gentle pressure, am afraid that a strong jerk would probably take off chunks of the veneer..."

Yikes...I hope not!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8770

BluTak, PlastiTak and so forth have high sheer strength. Instead of lifting the speakers, twist the speaker box. These materials do not dry out and do not turn to concrete. You are merely finding what the material is meant to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 991
Ed,

Go ahead and give it a good yank, what could happen?

Or heck, listen to Jan, he's usually right on.

As for Dr. Hsu, that's what I was told by someone as Ascend, I think it was James but I'm not certain about that.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1121
Yeah Ed, what do you got to loose? Give it a good jerk and if a piece falls off, well, its time for new speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4280
Well I've tried Jan's twist off method but my speaker stand's pillars started to turn!

Looks like I'll have to wait until a buddy comes over so he can hold the pillars while I twist, lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1122
Like you did last summer

Silver Member

Post Number: 999
Stof,

ROTFL. Good one.

Jan has practiced and perfected that technique on many a bottle, I'm told.

BTW, where is Jan is he vacationing again? He's awful quiet.

Username: Jamesascend

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone,

Not exactly the circumstances under which I'd like to be making my initial post at this fine forum, but....

"As for Dr. Hsu, that's what I was told by someone as Ascend, I think it was James but I'm not certain about that."

I assisted Dakulis with his purchase from us and we have had many interesting conversations since he became a valued customer of ours many moons ago; however, there is some sort of misunderstanding that occurred. I have been acquainted with Dr. Hsu for over 5 years now and have met him personally on many occasions. I know for a fact that he has absolutely no association whatsoever with M&K Sound, a very fine manufacturer in their own right. I have known this for as long as I have known Dr. Hsu.

While I am certain that Dakulis is correct that he somehow created that impression of a relationship between Hsu and M&K and that I was somehow the "source" of that information, I believe we're all familiar with the game Telephone, whereby a message becomes progressively distorted with each retelling until it is unrecognizable from the original message. I believe just such a thing has happened here. When a lot of information is exchanged, it's hard to keep it organized.

In the great scheme of things, this is no big deal, but you never know whose toes you'll step on and there's some pretty big feet out there. I believe very strongly in getting the facts straight, especially when it comes to professional affiliations.

I apologize for any part I played in the confusion and I'm glad for the opportunity to set the record straight. Thanks Dakulis for your enthusiastic support of Ascend Acoustics!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1137
Thanks for your note James. As they say in Kentucky you done did it now. I'm sure we all like to ask many questions from someone inside of a company. As a happy owner of a Hsu sub, I would like to know more about Dr. Hsu and his passion and research into this area. (I feel like a Star Trek fan.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
James,

Thanks for you post and participation. Hey, I wouldn't rely on my memory of a year ago for much of anything. I know that I was told that by someone, sometime or it may have been a dream. Given our many conversations, I probably thought it was you, but then, I couldn't and wouldn't even say that I have a great recollection of anyone saying this.

So, if Dr. Hsu was never with M&K, we're all now on the same page and I take full responsibility for my faulty memory. Now, what was the point of this whole thread again?

Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 9
Wow, starting fresh with a brand new room!! How fun!

Do you have plans to treat acoustics in the new room?

Username: Jamesascend

Post Number: 2
Hi Dave, no sweat.... Our conversations have been so diverse that it's easy to amalgamate ideas after the fact. Here's to Glacier Nat'l in '07!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1013
Rush,

We'll see about room treatment. It may be that everything is staying put.

The whole house purchase thing is up in the air right now as the buyer thinks that he's still entitled to negotiate after they sign the contract. Now, that's a unique and interesting way to do things, I think. LOL Dave

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3347
And Johnnie Cochran is dead...
sucks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4317
> The whole house purchase thing is up in the air right now as the buyer thinks that he's still entitled to negotiate after they sign the contract. Now, that's a unique and interesting way to do things, I think. LOL Dave

You know, I hate to stereotype but based on my own experience in retail sales, I gotta ask: are the buyers recent immigrants from the Indian subcontinent by any chance?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 251
Heh. As I can speak from experience in a related matter, if the contract is signed, it doesn't matter what they think. Hence the reason we have lawyers (ugh it's painful to admit they are useful). Pre-contract the power is on the sellers side, post contract, assuming the buyer did his/her homework, the power is in the paper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1151
Michael obviously you don't know who you are talking to

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1153
Hay Dave where are you?

I want to hear your response.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1014
dster,

Nope, both caucasian and he's a banker and she's a closing agent. Yet, they claim they didn't "understand" the agreement. That's rich.

Stof,

Well, it's gone from bad to worse and thus my absence. The buyers have pretty much flaked out. The last "offer" was $65,000 below the sale price penned on the earnest money agreement, which contained no contingencies.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with the earnest money forfeiture - $5,000, which is not going to cover what we're out. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I am ticked off enough that I am probably going to sue their broker, who I believe came up with the brilliant idea of talking them into breaching a signed contract. I'm not inclined to play nice, though, so I may just draft a complaint that wanders all around their insurance coverage so the j@ck@ss can worry about how they're going to pay any judgment. Then, during discovery if I find out that the buyers were complicit in this nefarious scheme, I'll sue them for fraud, which is not foreclosed by the earnest money forfeiture provision, IMHO.

Michael,

please go directly to bathroom and wash your mouth out with soap. Unlike most of the TV and crappy movies we see, the practice of law is an old, time honored profession upon which most of our society rests. Geez, how many of those "Founding Fathers" were lawyers or had legal training. Those incredible men managed to come up with such an incredible, living document as our Constitution (God Bless America playing in the background).

Yep, you guessed it, practicing law for 25 plus years and I've never had to sue anyone because I've always found that most people are honest and they want to do the right thing. Guess there's a first time for everything, though.

Now, don't get me started on bankers, OK?
"Hey Mr. Banker, I just signed your 47,000 page loan document and it seems that I missed a couple of fine points in there, can we just pretend that I didn't sign it and start over?" How do you think my banking buddy here would respond to that one? See, ya got me started. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 3363
The only Sue that is good comes after Sucka Sucka.
Of course I hired John Kay as my mouthpiece, and payed in grass.

Who knew?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3364
New system coming up, Daks.
Look for it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1155
Did the buyers know who they were dealing with? I mean, I'd sure think twice.

go get em

Gold Member

Post Number: 1015
You guys crack me up, AND, I need a little humor in my life right now. The worse part is the incredibly disappointed wife and that's what will motivate a lawsuit if I stupidly wander down that road. Thanks all for the sympathy, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1028
Breaching a contract with an attorney is kinda like giving a cop the finger as your speeding past him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3403
Dave, my sympathies, indeed.
Knowing you are a hardened veteren of people doing stupid things, here's hoping you can impart a little common sense into the situation and alleviate your lovely wife's anxieties.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3453
Dave, I'm sorry to hear that your deal has gone bad. Beware cliche on the way: everything happens for a reason......right. I hope things work out...and damnit sue their pants off, literally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1019
Art, Nuck and Tim,

Thanks guys. You're all welcome at the house anytime, even if I won't have a dedicated listening room and a separate 7.1 HT room. Dang, that part really hurts.

Mostly, I just feel bad for my wife, she didn't want to leave this home where we raised our family and I finally talked her into it and she falls in love with the new house. Now, she's just shellshocked and she's done all the work packing boxes, painting to get this house ready to sell, etc.

To misquote what's his face, "So, I'd sue anyone for love. Yes, I'd sue anyone for love. YEP, I'll do that (and then some). . . " LOL

Art, it maybe a cliche but I do tend to believe that things work out the way they're supposed to but I also believe that people need to learn that if you give your word, you do what you say you're going to do. I don't need a contract to tell me that, I was raised that way. (A southern mom and hard working, blue collar, uneducated dad.) Obviously, this guy has spent too much of his career pushing people around, especially one's that didn't have the ability or education to stand up to him. So, maybe it's time someone shoved his face in it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 254
Trust me Dak, if you were awash in the sea of lawyers and ethics advisors I have been throughout my career (planning ops and drafting ROEs) you would be sick of yourself. Now having said that, perhaps my tongue was not sticking hard enough in my cheek to be seen as I made witty repartee, but it was meant more for the "LOL" effect than a stance on lawyers. I do have an angst for them, but mostly in the hard-line doctrine (left or right) types. As to comparing the founding fathers to some of our modern day shysters (and since you missed my tongue the first time, this is NOT me calling you a shyster)... As to YOUR founding fathers... you really cannot tell me your comparing Ben Franklin to Rob Schapiro (nm/sp?) I hope. Anyway, I just deleted a bunch of crap I have floating around in my head about the Supreme Court of Canada because it has nothing to do with AV and I want another beer. Good night and good luck!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 675
"So, maybe it's time someone shoved his face in it."

Do it Dave!

Just tell me if you need back up. If you do just send the return airfare.

Oh, and I'll need accomodation too of course.

Then there's the expense account.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1397
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the S_ _ T has hit the fan."

Warren Zevon

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 255
Oh yea and I am all about shoving his face in it... =D I am also pretty sure the spirit of the law agrees with you on the verbal contract principle as well...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3407
Good one, Rick.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1022
Michael,

I know you were kidding. I was just firing back with a little fun. Yes, I'm a lawyer and I have a sense of humor, too. Go figure. LOL

MR, you're welcome anytime. Heck, we just picked up a french foreign exchange student last night so the more the merrier. Now, about that return airfare and expense acount . . .

Thanks for all the support guys. Tally Ho, which proper English means "take no prisoners."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us