Please Help! ORB Mod2 vs. Gallo A Diva Ti, for a 5.1 system

Username: Pierresayad

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
This is my first post to Ecoustics. I am about to purchase either the ORB or Gallo 5.1 speaker system. I understand the A Diva Ti may be a bit more expensive, but would the extra $$ be worth it? Does anyone have any experience with either sets of speakers? I have read reviews on both sides, and both seem pretty good.

I have a condo, about 1000sqft. I will be using my marantz sr8500 or Rotel receiver to power the system. I have the 50' Pioneer Elite plasma TV.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Pierre

Silver Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 107
They are both good. I'd go for the Mod2...they are less expensive and sound fantastic. A lot of the extra Gallo $$ goes to pay stores and middlemen. I think the Orb sub is better, too, unless you opt for the more expesnive Gallo sub.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply.

If you have heard both sets of speaker set-ups, would you say that the ORBs actually sound better than the Gallo A Diva Tis? If money wasn't a huge issue (the prices are relatively the same between the 2 sets) -- which has better sound quality, play louder, cleaner, etc..

Thanks again,

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4269
I have not heard either speaker set, but it seems a shame to use a Marantz 8500 or Rotel receiver to power tiny satellites like that.

Are small bookshelves totally out of the question?

Something like this:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

5 HTM-200s, $664 shipped
with STF-1, $978 shipped
with STF-2, $1079 shipped

The other system I'd look at is the SVS SB-01s with PB10 sub:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

If you are able/willing to do a slightly bigger bookshelf, the Ascend 170SEs and the Onix XL-S bookshelves would be well worth consideration, at least for your front 3...the surrounds can be small sats if need be, but having real speakers in front will make an appreciable difference especially if you will be doing any music listening not just HT.

Silver Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 108
The Orbs sound fantastic for music. Much better than the bigger speakers they replaced. As for the direct comparison between the Orbs and the Gallos, I've only heard the A'Divas vs. the Mod2 and Mod1 and I liked both Orbs better. They just have a clearer sound and better imaging. Can't say about the A'Diva Ti, but I'd save the $$. The Orbs are an amazing system and I doubt the Gallos are going to be anything other than more expensive since they don't sell direct.

Edster, do you go on every message board and tell people to buy big speakers? I've seen you on a few I believe and it's always the same song.

Bronze Member
Username: Cousin_it

Post Number: 48
I just bought a set of the Mod1's with the Super 8 sub for my bedroom system. I was skeptical at first, thinking that they were a knock-off, but these speakers sound excellent - these are not knock-offs! No, they don't do what my main system can, but for a sub/sat system I think they are a great deal. Nice build quality and excellent customer service.

If I was going to go HT, or far an alternate 2.1 system (office, bedroom...) I recommend Orbs.

Post Number: 3
Thank you Monologue for your thoughtful input. I desparately would like to hear the A Diva Ti, but all in all, I think the MOD2 set is where I'll go.

Edster, thanks for your reply as well. I would like these smaller round speakers (Gallo or ORB) because in the future, I can easily place them in a library, master bedroom, etc.. However, if I wanted bookshelf speakers with solid tonal quality... B&W all the way! Thanks again.

Final question: Monologue -- which ORB sub do you recommend.. much diff between tr1 and tr2 power, depth, etc..?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4274
> Edster, do you go on every message board and tell people to buy big speakers? I've seen you on a few I believe and it's always the same song.

Yes, because some people seem to be under the delusion that Orb has somehow rewritten the laws of physics and invented a moped that can outperform motorcycles.

These same people often claim that the Orbs are a good value, which they assuredly are not when compared to SMALL bookshelves like the SVS sb-01s, Ascend HTM-200s, and Onix XL-S.

I'm sure that the Orbs run circles around Bose, and POSSIBLY around less expensive sats by Infinity, Polk, and Athena.

However I am irritated by how hard it is to get any concrete info/specs from the Orb website and in fact the Orb website outright LIES by listing the sats as going down to 80Hz when most Orb owners report having to set their crossovers at 150-200Hz. People bash Bose for their crooked ways yet seem to give Orb a free pass by the simple fact of them not being Bose...kind of like letting Idid Amin off the hook just because he is not Pol Pot.

Get the picture?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4275
Pierre,

I am glad to see that you know exactly what you're getting, and why, when you decide to buy satellite systems...as opposed to being encumbered by the delusional thinking that their manufacturers like to propagate.

I warmly wish you the best of luck in your decision!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us