NAD 720BEE for Axiom M50's??

Username: Jradosev

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to put together a stereo system for my 14' X 25' room. I've never owned a nice system before, but I have been reading this forum for advice, and had a question.

Is the NAD 720BEE receiver at 50 wpc strong enough to power a pair floorstanding speakers like the Axiom M50's? I'd like to get a system with a fair amount of bass for as reasonable a price as possible.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4246
If you're set on floorstanders, I'd get either the c352 or c370 instead.

I would also consider the Athena F2.2 for $400 shipped from audioadvisor.com, which would give those Axioms a run for the money and give you $400 more left over to put into a beefier amp.

Username: Jradosev

Post Number: 2
Thanks! I'll try to track down a used c352. And thanks for the tip on the Athena's. I'll try to find a local shop that carries them so I can go in for a listen.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvg

Arvada, CO

Post Number: 37
If you can swing the stronger NAD, go for it. But don't be fooled - 50wpc out of the C720BEE will drive big floorstanders all day long if you need it to. Depends on your room, listening habits and preferred sound levels, of course, among other things.

We drive big, 3-way, 4-driver Kef iQ9's (sensitivity = 91db) with a C720BEE. The sound is simply phenomenal. In fact, we drive both the iQ9's and a pair of iQ3's in a separate room (A&B speaker mode), and it does just fine.

We AB'd the C720BEE against several leading amps driving Vienna floorstanders, and it held up quite nicely.

NAD uses very conservative ratings - their maximum continuous output rating for the C720BEE is 65wpc. An independent lab measured 85 into 8 ohms with soft clipping disabled. Their amps are also rated for 8 and 4 ohms, meaning that they are built to handle A&B speaker mode well. Tons of reserve power.

I would audition both receivers, and go with the one that sounds best to you while playing your music. You might find more $ in your budget for better speakers that way. Be aware that the C352 does not have A&B speaker capablility. You have to step up to the C372 for that.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 415
Oh man, stay away from those Axiom M50's. I tried them for a few weeks. At first they sound great but as the days go by you say, "Wait a minute this isn't right..." While the highs are very nice and sweet, the two 6 inch aluminum mid/bass drivers color the sound. You can tap on the driver with your finger and recognize the dry tone in your music. Also, they are ported front AND back which makes it difficult to place them in a room for good bass. Mine had the dull cherry finish which was not very convincing. There are many other speakers that you can LISTEN TO BEFORE YOU BUY. Forget Axiom.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 416
By the way, I do have the Athena AS-F2s with a older NAD C370 integrated amp @ 120Wpc. I think they make a very fine combination. The Athenas are an excellent value and would perform well in medium and large rooms.

I also HAD the Athena AS-F1s. I found that they had decreased energy output in the upper bass region that made voice sound thin. I don't recommend them for anyone that is serious about their music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us