Advice on first setup.Amp and speakers.

Username: Padi89

Post Number: 3
So after a recent trip to the UK(im living in Ireland) i got to audition a few different systems.I really liked the NAD C352 with Epos M5 speakers(with stands) and was set on ordering them for over here.
I didnt end up spending as much money as i thought i would have on my visit so now im home i have a bit more to spend.So now im looking at going up a gear in both brands with a NAD C372 with Epos M12.2. speakers(with stands).I did not get a chance to listen to these when i was over there as at the time they were out of my budget,but now my budget has been stretched im thinking of going this way.I cannot audition them here as the choice here sucks.
My room isnt the biggest either ,roughly 15ft by 13.5ft ,so would going for the C372/M12.2 be more likley to cause bass boom in my room?.I can have the speaker out from the wall maximum 1.5ft and 6-7ft apart.
I already have Chord ICs and Speaker cable,Atacama Rack and am using a NAD C542 CDP.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 977
Patrick,

You really need to listen to the amps and speakers together if possible. After some listening, I talked a friend into buying the C320BEE over the C352 and C372 and she is much happier with the sound coming out. Also, we matched her up with a couple of Tim's Emmas and this is an incredibly musical system for someone working on a budget.

It gives my much more potent floorstanders a pretty good run in most genres except hard rock.

In your room, you probably don't need the additional power but you do need clean, musical power. Your mileage may vary, etc. etc. IMHO Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4263
Patrick, I'd keep the M5s and, if you find that you need more bass, add a subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1475
Patrick

I've not heard the M5s but the 12.2s are a gorgeous set of speakers, loads of fun and really engaging. They are only fun on their own open frame stands though. Although a large standmount, they're not a 'big' sounding speaker (the Dynaudio 52 is more in that field) so although you do have a higher risk of bass boom, it's not that likely since they are not bass freaky heavy.

I'm glad that you pointed out that you already have a 542. That will feed a decent signal into the system so it is very much worth going for the best you can afford. The extra resolution and grip afforded by the 372 will also be very welcome I'm sure. Nice system...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 989
Frank,

In that size room, does he need the additional power of the 372? Heck, why not, he can always use it when he gets a bigger room, right, and the Epos should fill a much larger room. LOL Good luck and go for it, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1480
Dave,

That's a bit like asking if you need 150bhp in your car. Although 90bhp will do, the car is less stressed with more power beneath it, even though you don't drive it any faster. Since you stay further within the performance envelope of the car (or amp), your results are better.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us