Center Channel help

Username: Ericzellner

Post Number: 1
I currently have a Sony Receiver STR-897 7.1 receiver. 5 Mirage Omnisat Micro with a dual 10 Mirage sub. My Tv is a 42 inch Sony WEGA LCD. I currently have one of the Mirage speakers as my center and I was looking for a little more. Any suggestions on what I should change?

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 107
Little more volume? For that turn up the knob marked volume. Tell us what you don't like.

Post Number: 2
Better mid range sound from the center channel. This is my 1st home theater set up and I am not sure what to look for with the center channel. I was considering taking the mirage speaker and using it as a rear center and getting a new center. I dont know what to look for in a center channel speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4234
In a center channel, more and bigger drivers (a midrange-tweeter-midrange design) will usually be the best way to go. I would never use a satellite speaker for a center.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 110
Well, many times it's not the speaker but the receiver. Those Mirage speakers are "better" than that Sony receiver. I hate to say it but you should have asked this before the layout on the sony receiver. Even though those Mirage speakers are good they are still basic stuff and not earth shattering. I have a set of Mirage speakers that I bought back in 1991, and to me Mirage has gone downhill even since. But for sure those speakers would sound a lot better with a NAD, Rotel, receiver or anything in that class of goods. It's the old thing, sh1t in - sh1t out.

Let's see what others have to post.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3131
I would not throw out the baby on this one either.
The bathwater, yes.
Replacing the center with another(better) might help, but circumvents the issue, I think.

Sony might not be 'bad', but theres not many ways around it.

Post Number: 3
I also have an Adcom amp. Would that help the quality of sound or is it just a poor receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4237
if that Sony has pre-outs, try hooking up the Adcom.

Yes the Sony is a weak receiver, but in any case having a full-sized center is still much preferable to a satellite center, IMO. Remember that the center does about 60% of the work in most HT content.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3141
I cant imagine the Adcom hurting anything at this point.
Try 1 channel.
What Adcom, and why havn't you tried it yet, grasshopper?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 123
Why only 1 Channel Nuck? Stereo out of fashion? Seems to me that the centre channel is hard to make sound well. I have listned to some big coin (3k) units with centres in the 1k+ range, and they still seemed grainy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3145
Well Eric was looking for the center channel specifically.
I know Art picked up his center with an Outlaw 200 mono, and liked it.
The beauty of power amps is one channel at a time, like the Rotel i use, its like 5xmonos.
Very handy.

Post Number: 4
My Adcom is a GFA-545 II. I have not tried it due to it was running a pair of Carver AL-III Dipolar speakers in my basement. Any ideas what center channel speakers might be a good match with the mirage speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3147
I would say a better Mirage centre to start, Eric, if you don't want to test the amp instead.

Not really familiar with the line myself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us