Rotel or Outlaw for Vandersteen 2CE Sigs?

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_s

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 27
Building HT with Vandersteen fronts. Any experience? Any educated guesses? Any hunches? Any amusing anecdotes?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3120
What model speaker, Mark?
Vandersteens seem to like tubes.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 28
Vandersteen 2CE Signatures.

Receiver models would be the Outlaw 1070 vs. the Rotel RSX 1057.

Will go tubes someday but its not practical right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3123
Sorry, Mark, the thread title was just Van on my screen.
Have you heard these to be interested in them first?
The specs read 86db response and 160w amp recommended. Those values seem a little low(power) for a 10",8" setup, but the numbers don't tell the story.

If you heard them, what was the amp then?

I kinda count the Rotel and outlaw about the same, with max power not meaning too much, except that the Steens are 86 db, and the lower value calls for a bigger amp for SPL.
Both of your power choices will do well with the Steens rated 4ohm min impedence.

They sure are pretty.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 29
Nice to chat with you, Nuck.

I had a really nice long audition with a very simple NAD C352 (?) integrated amp and a Rega CD player behind all the speakers I tested.

(I purposely asked for something not too exotic or expensive.)

The Vandys sounded (to my ears) much better than the Gallo Ref 3.1, the Sonus Faber Concertos, and the Maggie 1.6's (which probably need a lot more juice to come alive).

If you like a more analytical sound, they might be bettered by Harbeths or Merlins. But for my ears, I loved the Vandy 2's. And its my ears that matter here.

Nuck. Do you think its safer to buy Rotel, a much larger and more established brand? Or should I trust the Outlaw, for a bit less money?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3126
Mark, a quick price check (barrets) said 1300 for the rotel, 900 for outlaw, that seems quite a bit.
The list of features is long with both. Similar power.
The Rotel would be purchased at a dealer? Dealer support is always a good thing.
Outlaw is net sale only, but they are very supportive. I've called there with questions and got great help.

I can't imagine a closer pair,except pricing.
Does appearance matter to you? If so the outlaw would win me over.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 30
I'm going to go ahead and order the Outlaw.

You're talkin' a lot of sense about the big price difference.

Plus, I like the 30 day trial thing.

Plus, the pre section looks to be pretty good, so I can always strap it to a beefier amp, right?

In terms of appearance, I actually am sort of partial to the silver and black look of the Rotel 10 series stuff as well as the layout and symmetry of the buttons.

Thanks, Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3143
And, Mark, Outlaw has the mono amps for special occasions, always available to present owners for like 300 apiece. WooHoo!

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us