Help with surround position

Username: Ward2400

Post Number: 9
I am in the process of planning a new surround system and need some advice about the value and possible position of the rear speakers.

I intend to purchase 2 Ascend CBM-170 and 1 Ascend CMT-340 for the front with a HSU STF-1 sub driven by a panasonic sa-xr57.

The question is whether I should bother with rear speakers. The link below has the basic room layout. Advice on if-where-what I should do.

System will be mostly for 80% movies/tv and 20% music.
Thanks in Advance.

http://people.musc.edu/~wardd/room.jpg

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4196
yikes, with your room layout I would consider using bi-pole speakers against the wall behind the sofa. The more omnidirectional dispersion that these speakers are supposed to provide might be a good fix for the odd viewing/listening angles your current room layout entails.

As for whether you should bother, it really depends on 2 things:

1. Your taste in movies/TV. If you watch a lot of action/thriller flicks that tend to have lots more surround effects, then yes it would be worth it.

2. Your music listening habits. If you listen to music mostly in 2-channel mode then you don't need surround speakers.

Post Number: 10
Edster - Thanks for your help. Do you have any suggestions for bi-pole speakers? Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Should have included this in previous post. would like to keep surround speakers below $300.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2965
DMW, I would start with a stereo pair.
Adding confusion in that room might be just a pain.
Rears can be added at any time, getting familiar with the fronts to start might help a bunch.
You might even find that the surrounds are not necessary.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4199
DMW,

If you go for monopole surrounds and do want something that sounds good for multichannel music, the $278 Ascend HTM-200s would be a good choice.

If you want the surrounds for HT purposes, look at the Polk Fxi3:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=107FXI3B
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us