Velodyne or Sunfire

Rob Bags
Which one do you think is the best sub between Velodyne and Sunfire?

Derek
Velodyne.

70s stud
How well does the Velodyne hit bass? If you turn the bass all the way up and have it running at a medium level output will this sub come close to bottoming out? Either 8" or 10" cone

Derek
The Velodyne HGS (Servos) don't really bottom out. They are servo controlled so the sub knows where the driver is at all times. I'm sure there's some electronic limiting as well. The HGSs have a different sound than most subs. They go down lower than most with much less of the boom of a typical sub. They also have unusually low distortion and get louder and louder without any distrsss. At first they sound bass-shy, probably because you may be used to the boom. Then, with the right source, the really low stuff sneaks up on you, hits you and backs away - no overhang, no ringing no boom. Instead of a long raggady boom there's more of a deep puff in the mid bass.

Imagine a semi hitting the building next door. You feel a vibration but can't quite tell what it was and where it came from. It will have you bringing out all of your old CDs just to see what they sound like on this thing.

Sunfire (and a few others) can do the same. Sunfire makes a few that are smaller than Velodyne but they cost more. HSUs are also similar and cost less.

70s Stud
Sweet thanks for the feedback. Do the HGSs usaually range from 250 to 600 depending on where you get it? Like off one of those electonic online stores.
Im looking forward to getting this HGS sub.
Peace

Down Under
I have a Velodyne SPL1200 and its performance is really awesome!!! I tried auditioning the HGS series but I dont see that much difference between the 2 so I bought went with the SPL1200 with a much lower price. HAs anyone tried comparing the SPL1200 and HGS series? Checked out the SPL1200 with the U571 depth charges scene it i tought its going to blow off the walls of my room!!! Its great and didnt bottom out!!!

70s Stud
i just cant get over the sizes of these magnets! 10 to 20 pounds, thats huge. Whats the depth of the speaker? having a magnet of that size im sure its pretty deep. How much are the SPL series and what size would you recommend for a small room?

70's Stud I know that www.audiogon.com has great buys on any very high end electronics. It is also very legitimate. They have great deals. They will more than likely have Velodynes for sale and you can get them at a great price. I hope this helps on your quest. Sub Thumping!!!!!!

70s Stud
That audiogon is a fuc*** awesome website! Its better than ebay! Let the sub thumping continue!

David Trejo
"That audiogon is a fuc*** awesome website! Its better than ebay! Let the sub thumping continue! "

I DEFINTELY agree. I am sitting next to an Athena ASP400 I got there for $290 which is $400 everywhere else.

This thing is AWESOME!

Please don't beat up on me but I've heard the SPL1000 in the same room as Klipsch RSW10 and the klipsch outperformed the Vel in all ways but speed and was a little bigger and less espensive. The active/passive design worked really well, Played as deep, louder and almost as tight. Maybe the Velodyne needs an exceptionally long break in period? Suggestions?

Do yourself a favor and check out svsubwoofers.com

I just picked up an SVS 20-39 PC+ (comes with 525W amp) a month ago and the thing is simply awesome! Read the reviews. The're pretty much unanimous. I was seriously considering the Sunfire Signature Sub, I looked at the Velodynes, Paradigms. I basically stumbled upon the svs' while looking up info on the others. I just can't say enough good about my new SVS 20-39 PC+. Very deep bass and very high SPL's. No boominess here.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the price...less than half of a Sunfire Signature or Velodyne HGS series!!!!

www.svsubwoofers.com

Kevro
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us