Need Help Choosing a Receiver

Username: 2mooses

Post Number: 3
We are building a house and are about two weeks away from completion. Right now in our living room, we have a Sony 46" LCD television and five Klipsch CDT-3650-C speakers mounted in the ceiling - three in the front and two in the back. Our subwoofer is a Klipsch RPW-10.

We also have two CS-650-R speakers mounted in the kitchen ceiling.

We need two outdoor speakers for our patio and two outdoor speakers for our garage.

I imagine we will use the living room portion of this setup 50/50 music vs. movies. The outdoor portion will be 100% music. What receiver and what outdoor speakers should I get? I have been reading as much as I can on this site lately and have read where a few people feel that Klipsch speakers are bright. I have heard it further mentioned that Marantz receivers pair well with Klipsch due to their warm sound. Am I on the right track thinking Marantz is where I should start looking? I have also read some good things about harman/kardon. I am looking to spend between $600 - $1200 for the receiver and am open to suggestions for the speakers. If my setup requires that I get two receivers, I would spend up to $1,200 for a good one and $400-$600 for one to run the kitchen and outdoor speakers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My equipment so far:

46" BRAVIA S-Series LCD HDTVKDL-46S2000
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...atpanel_26to42

CDT-3650-C
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=942

RPW-10
http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...ue&rmore=False

CS-650-R
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=71

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4147
1. Receiver for LR + kitchen: Harman Kardon 635, $550 shipped from jr.com

2a. Outdoor speakers: Polk Atrium 55s, $300 shipped from jr.com

2b. Receiver for outdoor speakers: Panasonic xr55 digital switching receiver, $250 shipped from jr.com

That's $1100 total, shipped to your door.

You seem to have set a $1800 maximum budget, so if you want to REALLY spoil yourself, for $658 shipped you can buy a pair of Ascend CBM-170SEs with CMT-340SE center and ditch those 3 in-ceiling Klipsch speakers (can probably eBay them for some additional cash).

If you get the Ascends you could also get another Panasonic xr55 for the LR and replace the Klipsch speakers in the kitchen with some $200/pair Onix XL-S speakers.

If you don't get the Ascends in the LR then stick to the HK for all your Klipsch speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1062
Why don't you look into a multizone receiver so you don't have to get two amps? I think Marantz will go well with those Klipsch

Post Number: 5
Thanks Ed and Stof. The following was suggested to me on another site:

>First thing that comes to my mind would either be the Pioneer Elite models, which enable split room quite well, plus have great other features. Marantz would also be a good choice, as well as some of the higher end Denon models. You could easily make budget with the Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, which also has HDMI switching in case you are going to use that for your LCD.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_4155,00.html

What do you guys think? Edster, I have not set a hard budget for this setup. I want to make sure I have a very good receiver especially in the living room to watch movies on the new LCD and to play music. If that same unit can push all my speakers that would be great, but if not, I would consider a solid performing less expensive unit for the outside and kitchen speakers. I imagine I will be watching a lot of HDTV and HD movies at some point - do I need to give special consideration for this or will any reciever handle this? I figure I would be willing to spend up to $1,200 for the living room receiver and up to $500 for a second receiver if necessary. I will likely get the Polk Atrium 55s you mentioned for outside.

Ed, I like the Ascend speakers you mentioned but the only way I could get my wife to get excited about a surround sound system is to get the ceiling mount syle speakers. I did not do a ton of research but my local sound shop recommended the Klipsch speakers I have so I will be stuck with them for a while.

Thank you very much for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4156
well that HK 635 I listed usually sells for around $1000-1200, but is now being cleared out for the newer HK 740 model.

If you absolutely must go into 4 digits for the LR receiver, I'd recommend the flagship HK 7300 which normally sells for around $2K but is now $1,000 shipped from onecall.com --- it only has 2 zones though so you'd still need the Panny digital for your outdoor speakers. It's got Faroudja DCDI video upconversion which does give you awesome video quality regardless of the source.

I think Denon and Yamaha make 3-zone receivers, but I'd lean towards the HKs for superior music performance and especially at those prices.

> Ed, I like the Ascend speakers you mentioned but the only way I could get my wife to get excited about a surround sound system is to get the ceiling mount syle speakers.

well I wouldn't expect most women to get excited about ANY speakers to begin with, I would just hope that she would not respond to them by withholding sex, filing for divorce, or even worse, pulling a Lorena Bobbit on you. : )

No seriously, I know you paid good money for those Klipsch speakers but IMHO having 3 real speakers up front would make a tremendous differences particularly during music.

Post Number: 6
That is too funny Edster! I have looked at some reviews of the HK 7300 and most all of them sounded great. However, I did find the one below on Circuit City's site that said this receiver does not have HDMI input. Is this something I need? Thank you very much for all of your help!

>No HDMI input! What the point?
Reviewer: Jose from Glendale, AZ on Mon Dec 05 15:56:15 EST 2005
34 out of 57 found this review helpful

If your are going to spend this much money you should at least get HDMI inputs. HK needs to get with the program. It's a new era of HD and HK is falling way behind. Please catch up because I love HK's products

Gold Member

Post Number: 4160
click through those links on the left and it should tell you:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=E NG&cat=REC&prod=AVR%207300&sType=C

all in all I don't think no HDMI is in any way shape or form a big deal other than for simple convenience if you have a gazillion devices and want to run them all through the receiver with a single HDMI cable running to the TV.

The 7300 is very nice, but for the extra $450 over the 635 you could get a much better subwoofer than the Klipsch you have right now, which you might enjoy more noticeably more often.

Post Number: 7
That sounds like good advice Edster. What subwoofers should I be looking at? I am stuck with the in-ceiling speakers but the subwoofer could be changed out. Thanks again for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4169
best bang for your buck right now would be the Mirage S12 from vanns.com for $400 shipped.

If you want a real monster for bass that you can FEEL as much as hear during movies, I'd look at an SVS sub in the $600-1000 range. (This only makes sense if you're a big fan of action/thriller movies.)

svssubwoofers.com

btw I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can easily wall-mount the Ascend 170s and even the 340 center, if that makes any difference at all with your wife.

Post Number: 8
Edster,

I wanted to thank you again for your help and give you an update on where I am at. I got a sub from SVS - the thing is HUGE. I read the dimensions before ordering and it did not seem that much bigger than other things I was considering but when that thing came through the door - WOW!
http://svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus2.cfm

I also go the Harman Kardon 635. This setup sounds great. I have only been able to try music so far - I expect the television to come today and will try a movie then.

I have not yet ordered the secondary receiver or speakers for the outside. I expect to take care of that in the next week or two. You still recommend the Polk speakers and the Panasonic xr55 receiver for my outdoor setup or are there any better deals right now? Thanks again for all of your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4259
Glad you're enjoying the HK and SVS, so are you keeping the Klipsch speakers for your fronts in the LR?

well, there's been a lot of buzz on these forums about the $50 Insignia bookshelf speakers at BestBuy especially the AVS Forum...not sure how they'd hold up exposed to the elements though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354 138&ref=25&loc=&type=product&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=PGR

If you need to save some money you could go with the smaller and less expensive Polk Atrium 45s, ubid.com has them for $143/pair shipped. Fry's Electronics has these on sale sometimes too.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 31
Ok folks, I know you all want to give the best possible ideas and think that what is recommended for a great system, but if your looking for best value for your dollar with capabality to expand sound to different areas of the house. I would recommend a Yamaha receiver,, I just read a review on a system with total of 3 zone capability, which is an entry level system and also THX Select2 certified. Heres a link on the review:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=1486

In all honesty, this is by far one of the best systems for a budget goin home audio server/theater. And you will likely still have money for a decent set of outdoor speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
Hard to argue with that if you like the sound of a Yamaha receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4264
LOL, the Sound and Vision review was about 90% techno-geek oriented: DSP modes, video conversion, and other such bells and whistles. Hard to take real seriously.

Also, that Yamaha 2600 goes for about $900 online and retails for $1000-1200. The HK 635, which like most HKs is known for honest power ratings and musicality, retails for $1200-1300 and is being cleared out at $550-600.

It's a no-brainer which one's the better buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1118
True, however I would surmise from the original post that Bill is more interested in a HT system with bells and whistles (multi-zone, lots of speaker inputs) then he is actual musical amplifier. So for that and budget this Yamaha or some other lower end hi-powered receivers could work.

Post Number: 9
Yes, I am keeping the Klipsch for the fronts at least for this house. When I first asked for suggestions, the ceiling already had the holes and had been painted. To fill the holes and repaint would have been pricey. We plan to build another house in a year or two and I will be able to make a change then. My dad is telling me for the outside speakers, I should get Klipsch aw650's. Do you have any thoughts on these? Polk Atrium 55s are better? I don't know exactly why, but my dad seems to LOVE anything Klipsch!

Post Number: 10
I already have the receiver and so far it seems to be great. I would have liked this receiver to have had HDMI connectors, etc but I have to agree with Edster that this receiver was a great value. I read a post from someone saying that receivers are going to evolve a lot over the next 2 or 3 years with all of the changes going on in the home theater arena. They went on to say that it would be better to wait a couple of years before buying a top of the line receiver. I am not sure if there is any truth to what they were saying but it sounded reasonable and so I feel very comfortable with this receiver now and will upgrade in a few years if necessary.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 234
A good factor to consider with respect to perspective is time. To give a personal example, about 15 years ago when shopping for a baby-grand piano, my Dad gave the "high" recommendation to me for a Steinway and Sons. Now as far as a critical ear goes, you would be hard pressed to find someone with better experience. He taught himself to play piano in his teenage years, and only learned to read music about a decade later. He would listen to a song once or twice, and play it right after (I inherited his pitch, but not his drive, I couldn't do that to save my life). He coached and directed international Barbershop champions (chorus and quartets) and traveled around the world coaching singers and groups, my point is not to brag about how great a musician my Dad was (I cannot begin to list the instruments he played) but to show you he was no slouch when it came to music, so he had what some might describe as "valid" opinions... Anyway, the point I am making is that when he was in his coming of age musically speaking, Steinway was indeed "high-end", and of course still is, but many other companies have caught up, and you would be hard pressed to determine the difference between similar models of Yamaha, Baldwin and Steinway "nowadays".

The point? I almost forgot... Your Dad's opinion might be based on "dated" opinions on Speaker Manufacturers. No doubt Klipsch earned their reputation, but I have recently auditioned what anyone would call a "high end" set of Klipsch RF 83 speakers and I just could not see the value. At the risk of being burned at the stake, I actually thought my Polks sounded as good. So, your best bet might be to listen to them and decide for yourself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us