Proac Studio 140 vs Paradigm Studio 100.Which better ? And why ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 81
Hi,
I notice that Art Kyle recently replacing his Paradigm Studio with Proac

Studio.
And I read a reviews from What HIFI Magazine also give the Proac Studio 140

with full 5 stars.
So, anyone can give their opinions with these 2 champions of floorstander

speaker ?
The local store told me that if I am looking for good bass and sound attack,

I should not look into the Proac Studio since Proac is superior on midrange

frequency. (I admit this due the Proac is British Made speaker which always

have a good midrange reproduction).
But is it Paradigm Studio 100 couldn't justify the Proac Studio 140 ?

Rgds,
sun

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3346
"The local store told me that if I am looking for good bass and sound attack, I should not look into the Proac Studio"

Wrong answer.....the Proac has more of everything than the Studio 100. No competition, the big ProAcs are a better speaker. They image better, have far better sounstage, they resolve both the highs and lows better. They also cost more money.

Best advice is to take your favorite music to the store and listen. Also make sure you know the return policy and get a feel for how they might work with you around future systen upgrades.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1176
I agree with art on the fact that you need to take music that you are familiar with. I have not heard Proac speakers in some time, so I can't judge the sound accuratly.

However, art and I have a similar taste in what matters as far as sound reproduction. I would have to take a stand and say that he is most likely correct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
So Art, it seems now your favourite speakers is Proac Studio 140 rather than Paradigm Studio 100.
(Just joking).
Ok, I'll bring my CD to demo them.
But, could you give yr reason why you said Proac Studio 140 is better than Paradigm Studio 100v3 now ?

Sun

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3347
Actually L4S, I've always stated that Paradigm is a good value speaker and that specific models represent better values than others. I feel that the Studio 20 is one great value but that the Studio 100 is at a very competetive price point and I feel that you can do better for the money.

I believe I stated the reason I like the ProAc better in the above post. Imaging, soundstage depth/height/width, both high and low frequency resolution. I think it is a better speaker in every way.

Bronze Member
Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 23
Art - What other brands would you consider to be a better speaker around the same price points as the Paradigm Studio 100s?

I've listened to the Dynaudio Focus 220 speakers and found them very appealing unfortunately they're also quite a bit more dollars. I've also checked out the Focal/JM Lab Cobalt 826S which are close to the Paradigms in price but I wasn't as impressed whith those. These were both hooked up to solid state amps from Rega as well as NAD.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3366
ProAc, Totem, Dynaudio, Von Schweikert, Vandersteen, Joseph Audio and on and on.....

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1066
Art where do you get to hear Proac? Their website lists only one dealer in US and it is in Maryland.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3367
That's Richard the distributor. They have dealers everywhere. Stereotypes in Portland and Experience Audio in Seattle to name just a couple that I have access to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1068
Do I have to call him to find the dealers in Chicago?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3368
No just email him or do a google search for Chicago audio dealers who carry ProAc. I can do it when I get home from work but not now.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2865
Promusica in chicago

Bronze Member
Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 24
Just when I thought my choices are getting narrowed down I find there are many more directions that I can go. Thanks for the info Art. Its back to the listening trail I go.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3370
Sorry Clarence..lol! I hope you enjoy the listening trail.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1070
Thanks Nuck. Of course it had to be Promusica. I have had such a hard time trying to get into that store. Everytime I'm near there, they are closed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Art,
What is your local selling price for Proac Studio 140 dan Paradigm Studio 100v3 ?

Sorry, I just got back from my work journey.

Rgds,
sun

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Art Kyle ???

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3407
I'm out of town with very limited access to computers. I'm actually sitting at the concierge desk borrowing his computer for a moment.

The Studio 140 goes for a retail of $2800 and the 130 goes for $2300 both can be had for a little less. I don't know about the Paradigm as I have not been shopping for them lately. I know that all Paradigm speakers just recently saw a price increase. I can check when I get home tomorrow.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3060
I ran the numbers on the 140's, and they look a lot like the Psb Stratus Silver i's.
Bass extension is much better, but to hear is to know.

Just tossing it out.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3409
Trust me Nuck to hear is to know! I know of no PSB that I would compare to a ProAc, same with Paradigm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3064
Hmmm...I need to hear them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Thanks Art Kyle,

Hope when you return, could give me your local price for Paradigm Studio 100. (or perhaps the newest price).

What ? Even PSB Stratus couldn't even compete the Proac Studio 140 ? I thought the PSB Stratus have a better midrange than the Proac. The midrange of Proac is clear but thin and dry.

Oh yes, does anybody know what website to check the reliable speaker price ?

Rgds,
sun

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3410
"Proac is clear but thin and dry"

More likely the associated gear or source material.

http://www.bradfordshifi.com/prices.htm

That is the latest price list from from Bradford's which includes the new Paradigm prices. Studio 100's $2400.

L4S, Google is a wonderful thing. Become familiar with it and you can learn alot in a short amount of time. Beats waiting for me or someone else to Google it. Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3065
Art, the first Q is really about the solidity of the 140's.
Listed mass is 20kg, with plinth. Weight alone does not equate to quality, of courde, but lack of mass makes me wonder.
With a rated FR down to 25(!), and a lower than expexted mass, it seems cabinet resonance could be an issue.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3066
I am currently comparing the 140's with the B&W 703's.(add to last post, sorry still no edit)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3411
My 110's are rated to 33hz with less mass than the Studio 20's...no competition the 110's will do it and with far less box coloration than the Paradigms. It's about design.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3069
Thanks Art, happy Daddy Day!
Do you think you are getting the full bass extension from those 110's?
I know you do not need a test disc to tell, but does your placement allow for that low response?

How much rear clearance(given your space) are you using?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3412
With careful placement I am able to get outstanding bass response. It's not like having a sub it feels more realistic and reaches the advertised depth which is wonderful for full scale orchestral pieces and the like. I had them way out into the room and moved tham back to about 20 inches from the wall. I would probably move them back a couple of more inches but I want them to remain well in front of the TV. They are about 9 or 10 feet apart. I have them toed in to where I can see a bit of the inside wall of the speaker cabinets. ProAc and the distributor recommend toe in but all of the dealers I've spoken to say that they need very little if any. I will be experimenting with it over the next few weeks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3070
The dispersion field is rated equally with the 110's and the 140's.
With minimal toe in, the 140's should reproduce the depth yu described. Very good.
How far is your listening position?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3413
11 ft.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3076
I checked out Revel speakers.
Small drivers, low sensitivity, same as I have now.
Rats!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 972
Geez Art,

I feel like I'm in the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." First, Art dumps SS amp for tubes. Now, after a year of running down Paradigms and listening to them, being impressed and feeling like I should have gone that direction (at least before the ALs were reconed), he's dumped his Studio 20s, Studio 40s and he's listening to something called "Proac Studio 140s" which have never been seen or heard of here in the audio desert.

LOL Dave.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 973
Geez,

where was I when the divorce occurred, the Paradigms must have cheated on your or used the "I have a headache" routine one too many times, Art. Which is it?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3419
That would be Studio 110's Dave. The 140's are floorstanders. I still believe that the Studio 20's represent a very good value. The 110's cost nearly twice as much and as such should sound better. How ya doin' Dave? I'm really lovin my system music never sounded anywhere near this good inmy home before. BTW did I tell ya that I swapped my KT88's for Mullard EL34's and the results have been very satisfying.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3420
Nuck, which Revel speakers did you check out? Certainly not these.

http://www.revelspeakers.com/products/product-overview.asp?ID=19

Check the specs...these are very nice speakers and represent a very good buy. At least a must listen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3105
Uhh, no, I didn't find that link before at all.
Thanks, Art.

Dave takes a few weeks away and has to catch up all over.

At least it ain't a soap opera, where 2 weeks really don't matter!
Like the Street.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us