Speaker Decision finished, now need more assistance

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 28
Hey, guys. I know that I have already mentioned that I am planning to buy a new stereo system this coming August, so now I will update you guys on how my decision-making process has progressed. I am considering buying the Polk RTi4s for speakers, now I need to know which one of these stereo receivers I should get?

Denon DRA-295
Onkyo TX-8211
Yamaha RX-397

Keep in mind thatI am still on a limited budget, and am limited to lower-end stereo receivers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2847
Denon

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1351
Not even close. Denon.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1352
The only other thing I could think of would be Harman/Kardon.

Depending on price and availability, I'd go H/K, then Denon. Nothing else in this range comes close.

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 27
I just went with the HK 3380 (199), and will be teaming it up with a pair of Alegria Emma's shortly. I can let you know my thoughts in comparison with the Onkyo stuff I had before. Havn't listened to much Denon lately, but I recall one of their older model stereo receivers being damned good with a pair of KEF Q1's. As far as Yamaha goes, if its like any of their other low end stuff, I'd avoid it like the plague.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4134
Denon of those 3, but you can do far better for not much more money. Do a pricegrabber.com search for the HK 3480 and 3380.

Bronze Member
Username: Joeypasta

Bedford, Texas

Post Number: 15
I'm with going for HK. I just like their sound. Look into the Yamaha HT series also. They are basically the same as the RX series, just with a different front.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4164
Matt,

I'd give the digital switching Panasonic xr55 a shot, $230 from amazon.com or jr.com --- I don't think the RTi4s will have the kind of crazy impedance curves that'd go badly with it, but just my guess there. $20 return shipping if it doesn't work out, the musical SQ of a far, far more expensive receiver if it does.

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 29
Thank you guys for your suggestions. I could give Harman kardon a try, but I heard that they have reliability issues, and I do not want to spend big bucks($299, since I'm still in college) on a stereo receiver just to have it die on me in a short time. Should I worry about reliability too much?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1586
I haven't heard of h/k reliability issues... What's the scoop?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us