How important is a HDMI receiver?

Username: In4maous

Post Number: 2
I just purchased a samsung plasma and i need a new receiver. I looked at the Panasonic SA-XR57 and I need some reviews about it. I need to hookup a Samsung upconvert dvd player, Direct Tv receiver, and Xbox 360. The size of the room is 11x11 and right now I have an old Sony THIB and now I want something that sounds clearer and better. Im going to purchase the Athena C1.2 center speaker and i need suggestions for the surround and subwoofer. Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1000
Panasonic + Athena sounds horrible to me. Both are bright, bad mix IMO.

It is advisable to buy the same make of speakers all around for timbre matching, this is especially true for the centre and the main speakers.

I'd go something like Paradigm with the Panasonic. If sticking with Athena I'd look at something like a Pioneer 1015Tx or a Harman Kardon AVR-340.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4102
levar,

I agree with Kano that Panasonic + Athena will likely be a "bright" combo, but if your usage excludes music that might be ok.

However, I don't see the Paradigm Monitors (I'm assuming he wasn't referring to the pricey Studio line) being that much warmer than the Athenas.

For your room size and needs, I'd suggest pairing the xr57 with Polk R15s which you can often find at Fry's Electronics and/or outpost.com for $40/pair --- just get 3 pairs and use one of them as the center for a 6.1 combo. Another option would be the Infinity Primus 150s from electronics expo.com for about $80/pair last time I checked.

For the sub, I'd look at the Athena ASP4000 from audioadvisor.com for $150 or if budget allows the ASP6000 for an extra $100.

Post Number: 5
What receiver do you recommend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4105
Depends...

What's your total maximum budget?

% music vs. HT usage?

Post Number: 6
75% HT and 25% Music, but how important is the HDMI and budget of $1000 for a complete system. I need it before installs inc. put my plasma on the wall and also what is the best mount tilt or articulating? I was thinking articulating if I wanted to add components.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4106
HDMI is not important at all, in fact in many cases it is indistinguishable from a good component video connection. The only advantage would be if you had ten million different inputs going into your TV and wanted to route everything through your receiver using a single HDMI connection --- strictly a matter of convenience not functional quality. Or if you had an upconverting DVD player or a receiver that upconverts all video sources to HDMI---such a receiver would probably blow your budget.

I'd recommend the Panasonic xr57 not so much for its HDMI as much as its staggering bang for the buck ... *if* paired with the right speakers. Many people have chosen these digital Pannys over much more expensive receivers and even separates that they already owned.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

My rec, for your room size and usage, would be getting 3 Ascend HTM-200s across the front, at $434 shipped...since the fronts do 90% of the work, that's where you don't want to skimp or mismatch. Being an immaculately neutral speaker they would go very well with the Panny for both HT/games and music. I've heard the 200s on my xr55 and it was an excellent match.

The surrounds are a different issue, unless you plan on doing tons of multichannel music you can use either the Polk R15s or, for better HT surround effects, you can add a pair of these for an extra $100 (google for black models if desired):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005UD2A

So, roughly speaking:

Panny xr57, $300 from bhphoto.com
Ascend HTM-200s L/C/R, $434 shipped
Wharfedale surrounds, $100 shipped
Athena subwoofer, $150-250

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1002
Not even CBM-170s for the main speakers Edster?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4108
Not with his room size, usage, and budget.

The HTM-200s are actually pretty amazing little things, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Post Number: 7
What about a $1200-$1500 budget can you put something together for me Edster922? Also tilt mount or articulating?

Post Number: 8
I can't find those Wharfedale surrounds in black anywhere? Does anyone know of any sites?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4109
Not sure about the type of mount, on the Ascend website they have nice Omnimounts for about $80/pair.

Play around with the "System Advisor" under the "Purchase" menu on the Ascend site. For your room I'd get a pair of CBM-170SEs for the mains, a CMT-340SE center, HTM-200 surrounds, and a STF-2 sub...added to the xr57, should be just at $1500.

Post Number: 9
And stay with the panny receiver or upgrade it to something without hdmi? Newbie some i dont know all of the speaker brand acronyms

Gold Member

Post Number: 4112
Correctly matched with neutral speakers like the Ascends, that Panny easily equals or even betters analog receivers costing up to 3 times its price. Now if you have an extra $300 to spend and want lots more features with comparable sound quality with a wider range of speakers, you could look at the HK 635 which is being cleared out for around $600 at jr.com and onecall.com

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2788
Another commision for Ed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4117
Nuck, please contact David Fabrikant at Ascend on my behalf 'cause that's the best idea you've had in ages! lol

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1004
levar, if you decide to get the Ascend speakers, take the mains into some shops and play the same material with different receivers. Some really like the sound of the Panasonic receiver, but some of us conservative folks must be too hooked to analog, and find the sound unbearable with vocals and many other things. I haven't heard the x57 yet, it may be much better to my ears than the x55 was.

Don't rush the decision, listen to a Pioneer Elite and a Yamaha with your favorite material, then the Panasonic, see what differences these models make on how the speakers sound.

Post Number: 10
What do you guys think of a bose center speaker? I want one that could mount to the wall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Who makes these speakers also?

For your room I'd get a pair of CBM-170SEs for the mains, a CMT-340SE center, HTM-200 surrounds, and a STF-2 sub

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2802
levar, I would rather mount a hippopotamus on my wall.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4120
> Who makes these speakers also?

ascendacoustics.com --- manufacturer direct sales.

If you must have a wall-mountable center, just wall-mount a 170SE center.

Beware of Bose under all circumstances. Go to the AVS Forum and do a search for a thread entitled "Why Not Bose?" if you are curious as to why.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
How are the Polk R15s? I ordered the panny receiver last night so now i want some good surrounds if i cant find the Wharfedale surrounds in black

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Will the Polk R15s match nicely with the main 170SE or just get the htm 200s? Any place resells the ascends for a cheaper price?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4126
The R15s will be adequate if you're using the surrounds only for gaming and movies. If you watch a lot of concert DVDs or listen to DVD-A/SACD multichannel music, the HTM200s would definitely make you happier as surrounds.

Ascends are only sold through their website, though sometimes you can find them on eBay or audiogon.com but usually not all that much cheaper than new --- they hold their value very well, like Hsu and SVS subs.

Username: Geonal

Desoto, KS

Post Number: 1
Not audio savy...I can not decide on whether to purchase a new stereo receiver or use my Yamaha RX-V492 surround sound receiver that's just collecting dust. I would be useing it strictly for stereo i.e. 2 speakers inside and 2 outside the house with seperate volume controls. Good idea or bad idea? What are the disadvantages (if any) of useing it this way?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Are these speakers any good?

JBL SPEAKERS HLS810 Main / Stereo Speakers (2) and HLS Center Speaker

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 54
My TV has HDMI, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD players are HDMI,the Playstation 3 is gonna be HDMI, so I would say for Home Theater HDMI is very important.

Bronze Member
Username: Europa760

Post Number: 21
how come no one talks about denon?

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 14
I got me a Denon, never been happier since i got rid of my Kenwood. I own Denon 3803, it may be 3yrs old, but its got a lot of bells and whistles that compete with higher end models. With new technology of today though, such as HDMI and HD-DVD and BluRay on the way. I will have to consider upgrading, but until I can afford it, my system works for me.
Its hard to think that in 3 yrs time, evrything that was new back then is ancient now. The one thing i love about my receiver is the whole power output I can achieve. Its rated at 110watts x 7 channels, but 2 of those channels also work as a set of 2 seperate zone or an extended field of 9 speaker set up. I was reading a review on my system, total power output is rated 110watts into 8ohm, but pushing it hard to the max, I can achieve 150watts x 7 into 6ohms. Now that classification is rated with the top of the line THX Ultra 2 series receivers out there. The only downside is, I dont have the money to push my system to the max with really good speakers. Gotta win the lottery for that. Overall performance though, I get great sound for what I watch with movies, tv, satellite and so on.
Picture quality, I only have a 27inch Panasonic. It works for my living space, great black levels and its lasted me 6yrs so far. It lacks component video though. Will need to upgrade someday soon. The Denon does all video upconversion from composite and S-video signals to component. But if i ever decide to go with HDMI, it will have to be direct line from dvd player to tv.
I was in a store that sells Denon products, was told that the high end receivers such as the 4806 and 5806 are being revamped to include video upscale for HDMI to 1080p, which bfore hand was only allowable to 1080i. Mainly due to the fact of the high demand for digital HD broadcast and dvd. So anyone who owns a Denon prior to this new soon to be release is out of luck bcuz they cant upconvert the HDMI signal to 1080p. So these new onsets of products will be great, but not for anyone who has already got it.
I figure another 2 yrs, and I will start looking at a new receiver. All the lower end models of mine now have better features then what i paid for 3yrs ago. Gotta love technology, its like trying to get a gumball from a machine for a specific color, but you can never reach it. If you have any other questions, let me know. I like to know about anything home theatre, I am full of useful info. Catcha later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us