Loudspeaker mod- bigger filling than the casing?

Bronze Member
Username: Jinster

Post Number: 92
i have insomnia and i'm bored which makes me deadly silly. so i took the drivers from my dls iridium 6.2s and swapped them with mid/high of mission m35i loudspeakers. you can definitly tell the iridiums need to be broken in since they sound only half as healthy as original mission drivers. but i see definite improvement in clarity. but impressed am i? not really. putting $500 drivers into $500 speakers have got me wondering 'was all that nessecary?' errr thats about it. i just wanted to tell my tale.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8561

Get some sleep, EJ. Sounds like you need it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2748
You know, Eric, that some people get paid for undergoing sleep deprivation experiments...just a thought.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
errr what about MY experiment? do you guys think perhaps the speaker's soundfield range is screwed up now since iridium car speakers were designed to be listened up close?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8565

What's a "soundfield range"?

EJ, what possessed you to change out the drivers? Did you do any research into the electrical and mechanical parameters of the speakers you replaced and substituted? Or did you just have a big plate of MooGooGiaPan and the MSG kicked in?

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 40
What Jan is talking about is the fact that the mission drivers, although cheap, were meant to be in that enclousure, to work with that crossover and that tweeter. For the desired response and range that is possible with that enclosure.

Now if you found out the parameters of the drivers, used a box program to figure out the response projection and then modified the crossover to fit both the new driver and the original cross over that would work better.

Just my 2 bits.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2754
The thiele/small numbers would be helpful to plug into a progressive calculus generator.

But if youv'e nothing better to do, what the heck?

It beats Nick at night.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2755
Although Samantha on Bewitched made more than my nose twitch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
yeah i swapped them back about an hour later i changed them. and after a good nights sleep and some coffee in my belly, i think it was a pretty dumb idea. god bless caffeine

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8577

Gentlemen - He only swapped the mid/high driver(s). Not much need for TS parameters or box programs and response projections there.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 41
Jan each driver in the cabinet, tweeter, mid and woof all have an effect on the response.

Say he put the speakers in, not using the crossover that came with the dls's, the drivers would be fighting the crossover as it was not designed for them. Second there would be a chamber into witch the mid driver would be firing and that would have an effect on the response of the T/S parameters of this driver. The design looks like a two chamber affair with a 3way crossover. If you replaced the tweet, mid and the crossover with the dls and then placed that in series with the original crossover with the bass drivers still attached you would have a better idea of how the drivers would actually sound as you would take the mission xo out of the equation for the high/mid put in would still be affecting the impendence of the speakers as it is still being used.

Try that it might sound better? Only a possibility.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
yes, i just got done doing that and it sounds just like how it should- $500 drivers in a $500 speaker cabinet. but if i'm to answer if it's better or not, i'm not sure if i can give a clear answer right now. first of all, i think there might be a play for ear fatique. i'm not sure tho since it's 3a.m. already and i'm beginning my first stage of insomnia. i mean my whole body's tired... second thing is, it just doesn't sound 'right'. dls are way too bright compared to the characteristics of the sub. but if the imaging and crystal clarity of this sound is persistant when installed in the car, i think i have a winner on my hands. and yeah, i'm gonna keep them in for a week or two just for the sake of breaking them in. any idea on how long dls takes to break?

Username: Anubis

Birmingham, West Midlands England

Post Number: 7
Well, for what it's worth, I think this is what Hi-Fi is for. It's just like a chemistry set, only with sound instead of the ability to make hideous smells.

Why not experiment? Even the dumbest idea may teach us something useful in the end.

Anubis

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8589

Why not experiment? I would suggest that you shouldn't experiment if you don't have a clue as to what you're doing. While this bit of trial and error isn't what I would call dangerous, when you begin to fiddle with 120Volt lines and 15 amps of current, you really should have an idea where not to stick your hands or screwdriver. Or, at the very least, a very good friend standing close by with a two by four.

Post Number: 10
I don't recall having ever encountered 120Volts within a speaker line, Jan. Having said that, you never forget your first shock... That surely teaches one something? I found it very enlightening... and we in the UK have a bit more juice running through our domestics than the US, I believe. Ouch! :-)

Anubis.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 933
Playing around with speakers is all good fun but the fact remains:
"If you don't measure, you don't know."

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8591

Reading comprehension is not high on many members skills; is it?

Sir, if you have 120Volts AC and 15 amps running through your speakers, it will only be for a short time (no pun intended). Though woofers connected directly to a 60Hz line will make fascinating noises for about ten seconds.

And, it is not the first shock I am concerned with, it is the last.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2770
It ain't the fall that kills ya, it's the sudden stop.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
i understand your concern but don't think i can sympathize with it. it's not rocket science or rigging up a bomb we're talking about here on this forum. since 120v is all the risk there is to be concerned, i figure it can't be that much more dangerous than changing a light bulb. i never heard of anybody stupid enough to get shocked while changing a light bulb (at least not in my gene pool) and nobody clueless and still fiddled with $1000 equipments. i had plenty of that (clues) and i succeeded in my experiement. and since i was able to prevent myself from the 'first shock', i don't think i need be fearful of the 'last shock'.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1528
when you begin to fiddle with 120Volt lines and 15 amps of current, you really should have an idea where not to stick your hands or screwdriver.

I don't recall having ever encountered 120Volts within a speaker line, Jan.

Reading comprehension is not high on many members skills; is it?

Then why did JV bring up 120V and 15 amps in the first place since the poster said he swapped a speaker driver? LOL!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
"Reading comprehension is not high on many members skills; is it? "

I wonder towards whom such a dry remark was directed.

The first serious, yet survivable shock should be the last for one who has learned the lesson.

"Though woofers connected directly to a 60Hz line will make fascinating noises for about ten seconds."

I can tell, you've tried this out haven't you? How reckless of you, Jan :-)

Anubis.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 42
Eric, the driver sensitivity is not the same between the bass drivers and the m/h combo. You will need to put some value of resistor or network in there to accommodate for this. This can be done with an L-pad type variable resistor. This is the part that Tim mentioned "If you don't measure, you don't know." because most lik likely the m/h combo is not actually "brighter" but the way the 3way xo is working and then the other 2way xo is working.

Try that out, it might work. But to truly understand you will need to do some measuring to find out if there are any differences in impedance and sensitivity and response.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8597

Ok, here we go! I'm in the mood.

PG - Oh, that's a good one! Oh, so smart of you! Oh, how did you get to be so bright and intelligent and all that wonderful, adult stuff? You obviously can't read either!!! You know, PG, if you're going to start following me around the forum trying to make me look bad, you shouldn't make yourself look like a fool in the process. What made you stick your nose in here? I thought you were being a grown-up adult and ignoring me as best you could? How grown-up is that?

"While this bit of trial and error isn't what I would call dangerous, when you begin to fiddle with 120Volt lines and 15 amps of current, you really should have an idea where not to stick your hands or screwdriver."

Commas really mess with you guys; don't they?

"Though woofers connected directly to a 60Hz line will make fascinating noises for about ten seconds."

"I can tell, you've tried this out haven't you? How reckless of you, Jan."

Not I, sir. The techs I worked with ocassionally needed to have a warranty repair when someone else did something stupid. The hardest to destroy were the KLH 6 woofers.

I did notice your sf at the end.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8598

PG - BOO!!!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1529
Sorry, still can't find 120V and 15 amps in a speaker enclosure. LOL!

I feel so sorry for you JV (Not!). What a sad state of affairs.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1530
I'm so impressed that JV can use big fonts on forums. So impressed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
yeah and his tantrum is taking all the attention away from me. over here guys LOOK AT ME ME ME! cuz guess what i'm gonna do next- i'll rewire the iridiums to my dls amp and have the input come from the home receiver... how should i power the amp tho? i'm thinking 12v power adaptor?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8599

PG - From what I see, just being allowed to use a computer should be impressive to you. How often do the doctors let you do that, PG? It runs on 120Volts, PG. OOOOOHHH, scary stuff, PG. Do they know you're doing it now? They're coming for you, PG. They're coming!!!

Why can't you read, PG? What's your problem with plain English? Did you ignore your English teacher too? Did she make you feel bad about yourself, PG? Do you dream about her also?

I've tried to make up to you. I've told you I think you're smart. I even meant it. But, you hate me so. How grown up is it to bear a grudge like you do? Not very. But you knew that; didn't you? Do you tell your analyst about your grudges, PG? Does your analyst make you feel bad about your grudges, PG?

You are a goof!

And, you're not much fun. Why come here if you don't want to have fun? Oh, yeah, you're ignoring me. I forgot.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8600

It's past your bedtime, PG. Let's carry this over until tomorrow. OK? You obviously need your sleep. Take your meds. Nighty-nite!

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
jesus...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
"Commas really mess with you guys; don't they?"

Jan, I believe you mean semi-colon :-).

My English teacher was what one might commonly refer to as a 'babe'. Science teacher was the best though, since from my low vantage point, I was able to see right up her skirt. Hooray for physics!

Just thought I'd share.

Damn! You've set me off on a revelry about childhood now. Talking of which... :-)

Anubis.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Damn! 'Semicolon' is NOT a hyphenated word. I do apologise. She was good, that English teacher.

Oh, then after leaving school, I found out she was my friend's mom! Perhaps I should have called her a M.I.L.F. instead? Confessions, confessions...

A.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1531
Jeez, I wonder who really needs the psycho help here. We're getting touchy, aren't we?

I can read english just fine, thanks, even if it isn't my first language. You said it yourself, While this bit of trial and error isn't what I would call dangerous, so why bring up 120V and 15 amps in the first place, apart from being your usual rude and sarcastic self?

BTW, following you around the forum should entain more than one thread, or are you that paranoid about me.

LOL! I really got under your skin, didn't I? That's great! Makes my day.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8608

Might well be a semicolon I need, Anubis. Though I don't know that that would make a difference in some cases. Commas and semicolons are still a frequent decision with me. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I can't tell stories of looking up my English teacher's skirts since I had nuns teaching me. I'd have had to get pretty low to the floor to look up one of the nun's habits. And, all I would have seen would have been more petticoats. Though your story sounds like something an analyst might enjoy knowing. Sister Marie James was more interested that we know Chaucer than commas. Unfortunately, that is the first time I've mentioned Chaucer in twenty years. I could use that comma stuff much more frequently.

Oh, my! I'm sure to have left an opening for PG to enter with that last comment! He sees such failings as personality faults, you know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2774
Such a fracas!
Eric, switch them at will!
Just mind the volume...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
"Commas and semicolons are still a frequent decision with me."

Although the English Language has a set of rules, I think recognising it's organic nature may often be the key to creativity with it!!!??///*.;

"Sister Marie James was more interested that we know Chaucer than commas."

Then I think she served you well, since at times, Chaucer provides the coarse roughage so essential in any young boy's literary diet. My own education was not so refined... I had to make do with Carry On Films.

In places, this thread is getting somewhat ugly in it's regressive qualities. I think it time to visualise the female teacher's (c)rotch as a distraction from this war of intellectual vanities.

Our failings are like trenches. If we can say that we fought in them to emerge with better tactics, then we should sport such medals with pride.

Wow! I get up early to write this crap. Fancy that!

A.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2799
'Carry on Anubis' just doesn't sound quite right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
The Mrs was saying my old username: 'Varney' doesn't sound quite right, either. It reminded her of Reg Varney from 'On The Buses'.

A.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2820
Varney?
You sneaky busstard! How are ya man?!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Hey Nuck :-) Yep, it's me. I'm fine. Training in a new career and saving my pennies as always.

A/V

Gold Member

Post Number: 2832
Very good, then.
You gonna stick around?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Probably only until I start at the embalming school. Until then, I'm getting the house comfortable for evenings spent in, doing my homework. That includes the audio systems. One more thing not to think about.

But yeah, I'll still be in here periodically. Why not, eh.

A/V

Gold Member

Post Number: 2843
And you think the embalming school line is gonna slip by that easily, V, er A?
Dead wrong.
An honorable vocation, that of Mortician, a lot of caring involved. My cousin has chosen the line as well.
All the best, A.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1559
dead wrong.

No pun intended?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 941
doubtful

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8630

"No pun intended?"

"?"

"?"

You don't know?!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8631

Just as a clue, PG, mortician humor is seldom funny unless it is done by the mortician.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1560
Sorry to disappoint you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Thankyou Nuck.
"And you think the embalming school line is gonna slip by that easily, V, er A? "

It's two years of study and a lifetime of work. Why should I think that?

Jan, it could be said morticians always have the last laugh.
I've learned gallows humour is inevitable in all walks of life. Even among priests.

A/V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us