Newbie Questions

Warder45
I've been looking at the Fluance website for speakers but I'm not sure about some of the different types. Some have more Woofers and less Midrange while other speakers have more Midrange and no woofers but built-in subwoofers. Are certain types of speakers better for music vs. movies? If I'm planning on buying an external subwoofer is it better to get the speakers with woofers not subwoofers? Thanks

I myself was woundering that same question. When I purchased the 5 speaker system those fronts have really nice woofers, they can reach all they way to to 30 hertz. For movies I would reconmend getting the Fluance speakers that go all the way down to 30 hertz, i think theres only a few. But for music I bet the other ones are a lot better cause the freuqency range isn't so spread out. I heard that Fluance is making a subwoofer in a few months, like a 8 and a 10" selling around 300 dollars. I would look into those before buying a powered sub. I hope this clears up your decision a little bit.
Matt

Warder45
I'm kinda wondering about general speaker tech I think. I read that Tweeters are high sounds, midrange is midrange, woofers are low range, and subwoofers are really low range. Thus I'm confused by speakers that replace woofers with subwoofers, aren't you missing out on some sound range? Thats why I asked if one is better for music or movies, maybe one doesn't need that sound range. I used fluance as an example as it was the most recent speaker website I went to. Thanks again for any help.

Hi, I am looking to buy some new subs, i was wondering if i should get the MTX THunder 6000A 12"s or if I should get the 15"s??

Marc
Well, i'm not an expert. But the best sound is reached with a full range speaker, but the downside is, it has no power, but a very natural sound. But this never sounds good...
The more you divide the signal over more units, the more power you get. The wider your frequencyband is, the more power it needs. With a two way system, the woofer needs to do the midrange and lowrange frequency, and that costs a lot of watts, so when you go to a 3 way system, your woofer gets more power, and so does your midrange. But a lot off people find that midrange to agressive and find teh sound of a 2way system a bit softer.
A lot of speakers can go donw on frequency, up to f.e. 28Hz, but in a two way system, your speaker needs a lot of power to get there. So an additional subwoofer could help out, but it isn't a natural sound, it is good for a home theatre system, but not for high end music.
You decide the use of your system.

timn8ter
Actually, it has very little to do with how much power is required. Full range drivers simply cannot reproduce a wide enough range to satisfy most people, although there are some very, very good full range drivers these days. Using a dynamic speaker (round cone type) to achieve low frequencies requires a driver with sufficient cone area and excursion (the distance the cone can move back and forth, also called Xmax). These large cones start distorting or breaking up at higher frequencies. This was overcome by using a smaller second speaker to handle the higher frequencies. The challenge comes in when switching from one driver to the other using what is known as a crossover network. The idea is to roll-off (decrease the amount of signal going to)one speaker while the other speaker is starting to go to work. Typically, this will occur around the 2500 Hz point (+/- depending on the drivers). Problem is, that frequency is right in the middle of the most important range where most of the music is and when it switches there is invariably some amount of distorion introduced. Also, the character of the sound can change. If not handled properly the listener will become quickly annoyed with the obviousness of which driver is playing rather than it sounding cohesive. The problem is compounded even more in three-way systems. Thankfully, we have mids and tweets that can cover a wider frequency range and we don't have to rely on 3-way systems anymore. A good 2-way system will be able to achieve low enough frequencies that we can roll-off to a subwoofer before the mid-woofer runs out of gas. Also, reputable manufacturers and audio researchers have created much better crossovers than we've ever had before so many of those issues have been overcome. I believe, and there is a lot of research to back me up, that low bass should be handled as a separate system. Subwoofers should be placed in the corner of the room and your mains should be out away from the walls. That's another subject though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us