Velodyne CHT-8 vs. Infinity Entra 10" Sub

Jeff P
Both these units are selling for $299 at my local Circuit City. I've listened to both in separate demo rooms with separate movies, which made it difficult to differentiate them.

I'm curious to get opinions. This is for a 100% Home Theater application; I rarely listen to music. My general sense is that the CHT is a better family of subs than the Infinity Entra's, but since the Velodyne is 8" vs. the Infinity 10" I'm not sure which way to go.

I've looked on the web, and can save a few bucks, but I'm looking to buy locally for piece of mind in case I need service.

Any thoughts?

Jeff P
Forgot to mention... I have a very large (open floorplan) room, but my home theater is in a 18'x18' corner of it. I have tested the Velodyne CT-80 8" sub in my setup, and was quite satisfied, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something with the 10".

Derek
Though Velodynes' High Gain Servo subs are first rate, the rest of the lines they produce are... competative. This isn't a bad thing but they have many rivals in this price range.

I've heard the Infinity and lean toward it. In that price range, give a Mission a listen as well.

If you can spring for an additional $200, consider HSU Research VTF-2. This thing is as good a Velodynes costing twice as much. I have also read some good thing about SVS but I have not heard one myself.

Anonymous
I tended to prefer 10" subs since I was able to bottom out a 8" sub. The moment you bottom a sub, it isn't right one for you. I listened to the 10" Entra vs the 10" Velodyne CHT and preferred the Velodyne. I found it much more tight and crisp sounding than Polk or Entra. That is the sound that I preferred.

I have a open floor plan too (a great room that is bigger than 18x18 with a tall ceiling). With my 10" velodyne near a corner (I haven't tried out in the open), I've been very satisfied. I have the Velodyne with a 10" active sub with a 12" passive radiator instead of being ported--which sounds very similar to the 10", but a little more expensive (but it isn't like the active servo models that are >$1000). The reason I went with this sub instead of the CHT model was for video shielding. None of the CHT subwoofers are video shielded; the CHT speakers are though. That may or may not matter you.

-C

I'd take the Velodyne. No question. The only way I'd consider the Infinity is if it beat the Velodyne by at least 15Hz (+/- 3dB) on the low end. Pretty unlikely.

Try Velodyne's SPL1200 and youll see what i mean. Anyone wants to say anything about SPL1200?

Jeff P
It turns out I got lucky. A different Circuit City had an "Open Box Value" that had the Velodyne CHT-10 on sale for $299, the same price as the new CHT-8 and the Infinity Entra 10". So I got the best of both worlds. I set it up in my Home Theater and couldn't be happier. Thanks for all your opinions on this one.

meeok
id never buy speakers open box, since theyve probably been used and abused.

matt
I went to Cirucit city the other day and was looking forward to try out the CHT series. Reading all these good reviews about the CHTs I was ready to brace myself when i heard this sub. It didn't blow me away like i thought it would, the CHT 10 didn't sound that good, I messed with all the settings in back to adjust it to make it sound better but nothing worked, the CHT 8 sounded pretty good CHT 12 sounded pretty good but the Infinity sounded the best out of them all. Maybe the CHTs were fucked from ppl that dont know what there doing. The only sounds that didn't bottom out were the Velodyne and Infinity, all the rest of the subs there were flying like butterflys and grinding the coils down and the sound just made you cringe.. But yeah, I have a small room, do you think once the sub is in a consealed area will it sound better?

The Velodyne CHT-8 sounds very very good in my setup, it is placed less than 20" from either wall and I really enjoy the lows it produces,(it is couples with a pair of small Infinity satelites) and yes, I bought an open box from "Circuit City" for $235
Dan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us