YOU Build Me A Stereo System for under $400!!

Username: Gheim304

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 2
I'd like to start up a stereo system with a receiver and tower/bookshelf speakers, but I have a small budget (anything less than 400 total). I know some of you will say it can't be done, but I'm not going to find $1000 on the street tomorrow.

I'd use it about 50/50 between music and home theater. I'd normally hook up my iPod to the receiver. ALso, I'd like to get as good of bass and mid's as possible. I really don't know a ton about speakers, but I know you guys are better at picking out a system for a price than Best Buy and Circuit City. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7952
Try this for speakers.
http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html
$150.00

Find your self a nice inexpensive receiver. I heard Panasonic is good, but I have not listened to it so I can't pass judgement.

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks, they look pretty good... anyone own a pair of Fluence AV-F3 floor speakers that can attest?

Thanks in advance everyone

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1101
if you can go a bit higher in price for speakers, I would reccomend taking a look at these from HTD: the level 2 and 3 bookshelf speakers.

level 2
http://www.htdaudio.com/letwobosp.html

level 3
http://www.htdaudio.com/lethbosp.html

they aren't that expensive, and look great. The level 3 even has a ribbon tweeter, and looks vastly improved over its predecessor.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3959
$400 for a receiver, speakers and sub?

It's not impossible esp. if a 2.0 or 2.1 config is OK with you.

receiver: Sonic Impact Super-T amp, $140 from partsexpress.com

speakers: Onix XL-S bookshelves, $238 shipped from av123.com

or if you want a 2.1 config then substitute:

speakers: Athena AS-B1.2s, $120 from audioadvisor.com or Infinity Primus 150, $140 shipped from vanns.com

subwoofer: Dayton 10" sub from partsexpress.com for $125

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 9
I'm somewhat a newbie with the audio terminology, whats the diff between 2.1 and 2.0

thanks edster, i see you have a pretty good rep on here

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2458
Eddie ain't the top drawer for SQ, but DAMM the man can shop!

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 10
by the way, on the vanns.com there are some sony tower speakers for 120 shipped pair, I never see the big name brands mentioned on here, are they really just not even close to being as good?? here's the link for the sony's I was looking at

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542159246

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 11
by the way, on the vanns.com there are some sony tower speakers for 120 shipped pair, I never see the big name brands mentioned on here, are they really just not even close to being as good?? here's the link for the sony's I was looking at

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542159246

Gold Member

Post Number: 2460
not even close.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 12
thanks nuck.

so all you guys would suggest bookshelfs, over these 'sony type' towers?

obviously i'm showing my inexperience with home audio, but you gotta start sometime right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2468
you have started now, Garrett.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 986
Take sony out of the picture (and sound) altogether.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2477
Look back to Eddie's post

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1268
"Eddie ain't the top drawer for SQ, but DAMM the man can shop!"

That's the best thing I've heard all day.

I was wondering when Eddie was going to make an enterance.

Username: Kris1970

LublinPoland

Post Number: 1
Hi Eddie!
I /like many / appreciate your posts very much.
I don,t see any sense to talk to a group of some half a dozen guys/like sir Nuck,sir Art Kyle and few on this forum/ who,re thinking so incredible lofty about theirs "knoledge" in audio topic.
Theirs talking over and over the same in every matter is just insane.
Cheer up,Eddie!

Silver Member

Post Number: 989
Don't worry Kris. I'm sure Eddie would agree most of this is in good fun.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1269
Great way to introduce yourself to the forum. I'll definately be looking forward to your "lofty knowledge."

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 15
I'm looking at the Fluance towers: http://store.yahoo.com/fluance/fldycothhisp.html

or the refurbed Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's:
http://www.tamayatech.com/parts.php?i=WHDIA83BLK

Chime in!!
Still up in the air for a receiver.
(Keep in mind my budget...i'm poor)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1110
the wharfedales are great speakers. I used to own a pair of sapphire sp-87's. They had thunderous smooth bass, great mids that were perfect with jazz, albeit a touch forward, and a top end that was not "here I am," but well extended. Had I not developed an issue with one of the tweeters, I would probably still have those speakers. They really sounded great after I played with them in different positions.

heh... I say that about every pair I have owned... I say that about my old pair of RB-5... "If I only didn't have them on a sh!tty reciever I would still have them." LOL...

but this time, I can truly attest to that statement with certainty. My issue was not with the amplification, the speaker developed an issue, and I had a friend that wanted to buy the pair and fix them.

yes... here it comes....

I now regret it...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2486
ouch!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3964
Garrett,

2.0 = 2 front L/R speakers
2.1 = above plus subwoofer

I would not recommend tower speakers with your budget. If you only have around $200-300 to spend on your speakers, you will usually get much better quality for that same amount when spent on bookshelves because the cost of the speaker will (hopefully) go more into the drivers and crossovers rather than a big crappy cabinet.

That said, the Wharfedale 8.3s are basically the 8.2s put in a bigger cabinet. I haven't heard them but did have the 8.2s for a few days and loved them---however I was running them off some NAD separates and then biamped them on a digital Panasonic xr55. I would not recommend the 8.3s with the T-Amp if you decide to go that route.

The reason I recommend the T-Amp is because by all accounts it presents the best sound quality for under $200 with its Tripath chip technology, however it does not have much high current muscle so you are advised to use it with high sensitivity 8 ohm speakers---the Wharfedales are 6 ohms and middling sensitivity.

However if you run your speaker wire from the T-Amp to a powered sub with a high pass filter and then out to the speakers, the sub's HPF should take off a lot of the current load by handling all of the power-sucking low bass and leaving the mids and highs to the speakers.

So there's some chance the 8.3s might be ok, but it's not as safe a bet as the bookshelves discussed above.

I think they used to sell powered Diamond 8.2 speakers on eBay for around $300, check and see if that's still on---if so, it would allow you to simply plug your CD or Ipod player directly into the speakers and forgo buying a receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2513
All that Ed said is true, except for the impenence part.
The T-amp will run 4-ohm speakers, and I am doing so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3972
If so, then this is an even better bargain than I thought.

Hmm...what are your speakers, and how loudly (db wise) can you comfortably push them? Do you have the original T-Amp or the Super T-Amp?

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 17
ok, for the reciever I found this at a pretty good price, 7.1 for possible additions to my system. Tell me what you think
Pioneer vsx-516
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=20775

silver or black?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 950
I think you get a lot more receiver with the Pioneer 1015. The price difference is so small between the two... IMO that receiver is weak.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3974
I agree with Kano, also that price is not much better than what Best Buy sells it for.

A HELL of a better deal from the same hookedontronics.com site is the Pioneer Elite EX-500 bundle---digital switching receiver plus universal player for $260 shipped. You can always ebay the player for at least $50 if you already have one.

Or for about the same $200-300 price range you can get an HK 135 or 230/235 with original HK warranty here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Harman-Kardon_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ2QQf tidZ2QQtZkm

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 19
I can't disagree with you guys, but what makes it weak? I don't know what to look for necessairly I guess... Tell me what I should be looking at there...

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 20
edster, I like those HK receivers... now looking for bookshelfs and a sub for around $225 to complete my <$400 system...........(for now)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2547
Garrett, brands exude quality , or a lack of it.
Brands that deliver high powered sound might include H/K, Outlaw, Rotel, Nad.
Stuff that suks might include Yamaha, Denon(marginal), Onkyo and others.

New and exciting models can be found with Pioneer Elite, and also Integra models.

The Integra receivers are quite good.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 21
Right now I'm looking at the
HK receivers.. about $200 shipped
Dayton 10" sub.. $141.52 shipped
Infinity Primus 150 bks.. $140 shipped

(still unsure on the bookshelf speakers)

PLEASE list objections, better deals, suggestions, etc.

About $80 over budget now... maybe going to wait on the sub, but I think I'll need the extra bass. Might wait to order the sub, until I hear the bookshelf speakers

Gold Member

Post Number: 3979
With your budget that sounds about right, the only other bookshelf in that price range would be the Athena AS-B1.2s from audioadvisor for $120/pair shipped.

The Athenas would go well with the HK, and probably have a more dynamic/punchy sound which would be better for HT.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 22
I also just got offered to take my parents older pair of JBL D38's (?) I believe. Not too bad, not a lot of bass, but I know they probably arent close to the other options but would save me 140 dollars right now.

Thanks edster

Gold Member

Post Number: 2553
If you are shopping, Garrett, Eddie is da man.
I am shopping elsewhere, but a deal is a deal, especially free(parents are dandy, yes?).

You might end up with a super bargain system yet Garrett.

Good shopping!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3983
Garrett,

in that case you might want to consider putting the savings into a better sub, like a Hsu STF-1 at $225 b-stock from hsuresearch.com

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 23
Edster,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions... Although, theres a reason I set my budget pretty low... I'm a college student.

Anyways, I honestly don't know what quality the JBL's are, and I might get sick of hearing them and be back on the market for bookshelfs IF i do take them from my parents

Gold Member

Post Number: 3986
being a college student you are likely to be moving around a lot and living in small rooms---in which case the STF-1 would be ideal since it's an 8" sub so easy to move and also it has lower, cleaner and louder output than many 10" and 12" subs in the same price range. In 10 years when you have more space and money you could easily put the STF-1 in a bedroom system.

No harm trying the JBLs, the HK might well tame their reputed brightness.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 24
point taken, once again, edster

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 25
edster,
I have yet to win an auction for an HK receiver and don't really know which one would be best, but since then I've been looking over that Pioneer Elite EX-500 receiever bundle and for just a little more money I can get that.

and for anyone else (not just edster),
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Price difference really doesnt matter between the HK link above from ebayers on the 135,230,235 series receivers and the Pioneer Elite EX-500 bundle package from this site.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_prodlist.jsp?sortorder=0&brandtype=98&cid=19 8

Also, I don't know what the 'zone free' is all about, but don't think it'd really be necessary in my situation

Thanks to everyone helping me through this.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 26
remember that the HK receiver is refurbed too, but the ebay dealer seems to be pretty good about replacing bad ones when shipped (after reading some feedback)

Username: Brianjh

Post Number: 4
Electronics-Expo currently has the Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers for $84/pair.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/product.jsp?x=PRIMUS150&webcategory=null&submenu =null

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 27
sounds like a good deal brian... sucks that they are out of them right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3995
"zone-free" means the universal player can play both NTSC and PAL formats. PAL is what they use overseas, NTSC is for North American disks.

For $260 shipped the most you can hope to get from HK refurbs would be an AVR 135, I'd be very surprised if you could land a 235 for that price.

Between the 135 and the ex-500 I'd get the ex-500.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 28
thanks ed... i'm placing my order for the ex-500 now

Gold Member

Post Number: 4008
cool, let us know how you like it when it comes in.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 30
So, as I have been reading the boards on here, there are some brands not to pair up. ANything I should be aware of pairing with this Pioneer Elite EX500??

I am still in teh market for a pair of towers OR a pair of bookshelfs with a sub.

I already have the JBL D38s for free if I want them, so I will test them on my new receiver. Anyone have a suggestion for a 8" sub. I am on the B-stock for STF-1 from Hsu, but does anyone have any insight on the ATHENA AUDITION AS-P300 8" powered sub? (125+shipping) or the AS-P4000 sub for a little more $$?

How is the Dayton 10" sub for 125?? anyone?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4009
If you go with one of the Athena subs, my guess is that you'd have to go to the P4000 in order to match the performance of the STF-1.

As for the Dayton, people usually report that it's very good for HT but sloppy/slow/boomy for music.

Since you may be already spending $250 for the STF-1 I would get a cheap pair of Polk R15s ($40/pair at Fry's every few weeks) to tie you over if you absolutely hate the JBLs. Unless you don't mind going over your budget with a $200/pair of bookshelves like the Onix XL-S.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 31
Thanks Edster, I about ordered the Dayton when it was first discussed on here, but as time went by I wasn't so found of it. I think the P4000 is going at a decent price on eBay, and was the model I was leaning towards of the Athena's. If the B-Stock comes up for the STF-1 then I'll see what the price is like compared to the P4000's. I have heard nothing but great things for the STF-1s, haven't heard much at all from the P4000.

As for bookshelfs I also found 2 Infinity Primus 150s for $84 but none in stock now.
Thanks again

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 32
Also just placed that order on amazon.com for the P4000 Athena for $160... I'll let you know how the EX-500 receiver, JBL D38 speakers, and AS-P4000 sub sound all together for right at 400 bucks (well the speakers are 'for now' but FREE!)

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 33
k, well the sub was on backorder... So they're telling me it won't be shipped till July which really sucks! HOpefully it comes earlier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4013
so you've called Hsu and they didn't have any B-stock STF-1s in stock? That's surprising.

Username: Joeypasta

Bedford, Texas

Post Number: 9
I would check out www.shoponkyo.com for a receiver. I would keep checking outpost.com for sales on Polk Audio speakers. In my opinion, for the money; Polk speakers sound great. On the JBL speakers your parents have; I'm a fan of JBL, if anything because they are used in alot of public places. I've had high end expensive audio-phile speakers, and became annoyed when I would go hear live music, and see movies in a movie theater. Since downgrading, it makes leaving the house more pleasureable.

Bedford, Texas

Post Number: 10
I forgot to add that on the shoponkyo website, you must register to see the ultra low prices.

Bronze Member

Topeka, KS USA

Post Number: 34
K, the AS-P4000 sub is coming soon. Paid a couple more bucks ($162) and is being shipped ASAP.

Bronze Member

Manhattan, KS USA

Post Number: 35
My Review of my purchases:

Pre-Break-in Period for Subwoofer

I bought:

Pioneer Elite EX-500 Receiver/DVD package deal. Price: $260 shipped from HookedOnTronics.com

Made my JBL D38 Speakers sound quite a bit better than my ancient Pioneer SX-1100. Great looking too. Plenty of input/outputs. Kind of wish you could control more off the receiver itself rather than doing everything by the remote pretty much. Also, alot of the menus for the controls have to do it through the TV. But otherwise I feel like I got a really good deal.

Already had JBL D38 bookshelfs from 4 years ago. Still very good quality, but a bit big for bookshelfs, although what should you expect for having 2" tweeters 4" mids and 8" woofer. Really sound better with the new receiver. And can't beat the free price from my parents.

Athena AS-P4000 subwoofer
Price: $162 shipped from Amazon marketplace (independent seller).

Just got it and plugged it in today. Starting to sound great already. Fills the whole room w/ thunderous bass. 162 bones is a pretty solid price. 400 watts, downfiring. Really easy to use for beginners like me.

This is my first home stereo system but I have had pretty good car systems, and I know you shouldn't compare the two, but I can compare sound quality since this is my first real system. I'm really pleased to have this system for $422, getting lucky to pull some free JBL bookshelfs. I still could get some quality Infinity bookshelfs and kept it right at $500. If anyone would like to know more specific I'll fill you in. Also, if the sub sounds MUCH better after a few days, I'll post some updates. But, I assume what I'm hearing now will be the worst from it, and I'm not complaining about much now.

A BIG THANKS to all of you that helped me find some good sh!t... keeping me away from BestBuy and all. I look forward to helping others who were in my shoes a couple weeks ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4049
Nice to hear it all worked out. Unless those JBL speakers came from a shelf system, I'd bet that you'd have to spend at least $200 to $400 to get a really huge improvement. If I were you I'd experiment with running the JBLs on "small" and crossing the low bass over into the sub, that should keep their output nice and clean.

Bronze Member

Bedford, Texas

Post Number: 12
Sounds like you did great to me! Don't let anyone tell you different, but your system will sound as good as most systems priced 5 times as much. I know I started a flame war on that one, but it is true.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1008
Joe I don't think your statement is entirely inaccurate. However if you want to start a war just mention a system that will sound worse for 5 times the price. For example... I don't know.. pick anything..say Bose.

:-)

Bronze Member

Bedford, Texas

Post Number: 13
Stof, That is the funniest thing I've read all day! You aren't kidding about Bose, and flame wars over Bose products. An audio bulletin board wouldn't be complete without a Bose war!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1307
Bose rules!!! You're all just jealous that you can't afford it. One day, you'll be cool enough to buy the best of the best. Until then, be happy with your no name brands like NAD, Rotel, PSB, B&W, and Paradigm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1009
That was even funnier.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8145
LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 2681
5 times the price. Hmmmm.
Maybe a big honking pile of Jamaica's finest and a water bong.It would be a tie for sound until the Jamaican ran out.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1199
Stu,

lets not forget wilson audio, thiel, von schweikert, magnepan, and martinlogan. who the hell ever heard of those brands??

they must be made by some kids in their parents basements...

:-)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1354
You know they're garbage when the Best Buy guys haven't heard of them. I asked one how a Bose system would compare to my McIntosh/Wilson system (note that I don't really have that system). Loose quote - "No contest. Bose will out perform anything... Especially a computer and cheap computer speakers."

He definitely knows his stuff. If he's not a manager yet, he'll be one any day now.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1355
Also, some of the BB guys HAVE heard of Martin Logan. They're currently being sold in the Magnolia section of BB.

If you're gonna mess with them (it never gets old), don't bring up Martin Logan, Vienna, DefTech, or Primare. Unless of course they're really slow, which isn't an impossibility by any stretch of the immagination.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1061
"No contest. Bose will out perform anything... Especially a computer and cheap computer speakers."

Ok I am falling off my chair laughing here. This is really precious.

In a way though that is unfair to the poor 18 year old.

On the other hand, I am not convinced that the Bose will outperform a Mac with say a good Creative or BA or Altec Lansing speakers.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us