I got a dumb question

Username: Smiley777

Post Number: 10
i was wondering if u have a really good amp with a pair of real bad speakers versus good speakers with bad amp. Which set up would sound better?

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 79
depends on how bad and how good :-) in general, speakers w/ bad amp i would say. but, real question to u is, why would u even ask such an open ended arbitrary question in the first place? u planning on getting some b&w 802d's and powering them with an entry level sony receiver? or using a classe amp and pre with some bose ? sorry man, no help here.

Silver Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 189
Bad speakers sound best with no amp at all.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2427
Sell it all and buy average receiver and speakers both.
A nicely mated set will sound miles better than either of your first choices.

But you already knew that, Johnny.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well, here is my situation. Right now i got Onkyo Txnr901 with polk audio Rti8 for front speakers and Rm 20 for surround. At first they sounded real good to me. After awhile i dont think they sound that good at all. So i am thinking should i keep the Onkyo and get paradigm or B&W either one is ok i guess. Or keep my Polk speakers and get a rotel. I am willing to spend $2-3000. thanks again for your reply guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 2449
Do you want the 4 speakers, Johnny or would a nice solid stereo fit the bill?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i think i would go with 4, why?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2450
Johnny, is it your intention to have home theatre or music only?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8416

jp - Before you drop $2-3k on some new gear, don't you think you should try to identify why you think your system, which once sounded good, now sucks day old dog crap? You seem convinced at least one part of your system is really horrible. You must have some idea why that is and what makes it sound bad; don't you? What's it not doing that you think it should? And why did you buy it in the first place? Figure this out, jp. You've got to help us before we can help you. What do you want your system to do?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
it is gonna be mostly music. Honestly, i dont know crap about stereo systems. I just picked out my system( thought that was good enough) but after i listened to lots of my friends system my is crappy compare to them. therefore i want to upgrade it a little bit.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8420

jp - You're not getting my question. What do your friends' systems do that yours doesn't? You've got to know what you're trying to improve and where you're headed before you start spending money. Otherwise, you'll throw away another $3k on some more crap. Why is your system crappy compared to theirs? If you can't answer that, you have no hope of buying a better system. The room the system is in can influence what you hear even more than the character of the speakers. Are you sure you aren't just hearing a crappy room?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2455
Johnny, throwing money at the problem is the domain of governments.

Where do you stand and what music do you listen to?
What is missing?

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 12
Go to an AUDIO STORE (the kind of store with 5 employes max.) And look at what they have, have a listen, take your speakers in to the store. A decent dealer will help you. Make 3 or 4 visits and listen before you buy. It's all up to you, we can't tell you what sounds good. If you are going to spend $3000, you need to listen first. Listen to a $15,000 system, then a $1000 system so you can have a chance to hear what the extra $14,000 gets you. But be carefull, you might end up with a $15,000 in two years time! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2538
johnny, the time is rife.
If you want to step in, a 3large budget could get you a fine, fine setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2539
But is your room ready for anything bettr?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2540
Following Jan's lead.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanks for all the advises guys. I guess i'll just take my time and learn. peace

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1373
Hi Johnny,

It seems to me you're asking about philosophy of system building. Here in the UK we tend to emphasise the source-first principle of system building. i.e. get as good a source (CD player/turntable/tuner) as possible, followed by amp, followed lastly by speakers. The argument goes that you should preserve the signal as well as possible as far up the chain as you can. i.e. if the signal that comes out of the CD player isn't so hot then no matter how good your amp is it can only amplify the already not-so-hot signal, and that no matter how good your speakers they can only act as open windows to that ropey signal, giving you a ropey result. By emphasising the source, the signal is as good as it gets until the amp which dilutes the signal into the speakers which dilute it further, but at least you'll have started out as good as you can. In your situation we would probably change electronics first therefore.

I am concerned about one thing though. You say that your main interest is music, but you're using a surround system. Your CDs would be much better served if you spent the same money on a dedicated 2-channel system. Naturally, if you have lots of SACDs or DVD-As, then this is a no-go, but if you don't then a 2-channel system would be the best way forward. In essence you're spending the same money on less than half the components which means that the manufacturers can spend that cash on higher quality bits than they could if covering all the bases that God sent. You'd be surprised how much more is on those discs...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 949
Johnny,

What Frank said regardingt how to build a decent system. What Jan said about how to evaluate your current system versus other people's systems before moving forward. Also, it's not always about how much you spend but it is about what sounds right/real. IMHO anyway. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 101
I want to add this also if I may....

Bottom line here JP is after you evaluate which one is missing and being resolve (comparing with your friends setup)then go to the store and test as many speakers or receiver as you can within your budget then from there you know where to start. Dont forget to bring your music cd's that you usually listen.

Like what other people said here it depends on a personal preference so only you can decide which is good or bad. Also remember that it makes a difference if your room is well treated. What kind of room you have, size of the room, just to name a few. If possible when you test some speakers look for the store that has a room similar to what you have.

Just my $.01 opinion.

Good Luck!

:-):-):-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8460

AC - Once again, I feel I must insert this amount of wisdom, whether it's worth one or two cents. You should not compare your system to your friends' systems. It really doesn't matter what your friend's systems sound like. Comparing one system to another system is fruitless and leads to the booming bass that rattles my windows when the '92 Hondas drive by very low to the pavement. Please, use a real live reference for music rather than something made up in an retail establishment. There is no substitute for the real thing if you are interested in a system which reproduces music accurately. If accuracy has nothing to do with your quest, then boom along down to the car audio shop.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4189
"What is the reference?"

We've been here before, on Do you listen.

"...a really good amp with a pair of real bad speakers versus good speakers with bad amp..."

The better the speakers, the more sure you can be that the amp is bad.

And vice versa.

As long as the source is good....

Hope that helps.

Silver Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 103
Excuse me JV it seems that your talking to a wrong person ok. First is I'm not the one who needs help on this and 2nd is I'm not comparing my system with my friends system. Sorry JV but I think you better read this thread and analyze who's the person asking for advice ok.

Cheers!!!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8465

AC - Anyone who reads the thread and feels the advice given is appropriate to their situation should be welcome to take whatever they like. My advice to you, take a pill.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2585
Adrian, it is an open conversation.
Not a pill perhaps, but a good drinnk on the house is nice now and then.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2586
Jan's advise(in the big picture of sound), can be a good drink on the house.
Without the recommendations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2587
And back to Johnny, the OP.
You do not have any dumb questions.
You cannot come up with a question that any of us have never asked ourselves before, at some similar point.
Really.

Silver Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 104
hehehe...well, if that's the case what kind of pill you have JV maybe you can send it me via FedEx or UPS next day delivery...:-):-):-) or like what Nuck said a good drink is better...just send it and have a good time...CHEERS!!!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us