Hooking up two receivers up

Username: Illskracthez314

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to hook up a receiver to another receiver so I can have 6 speakers hooked up. I have 4 speakers hooked up to one(receiver a) and two hooked up to another(receiver B). I have rca jacks in the out of receiver a and in the in of receiver b I can't hear anything out of receiver b.... Am I doing this wrong or should I leave it alone and not try this? Please help

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2391
Just stop.
Receivers are available for this application.

Username: Syplex

Post Number: 1
If you have a tape RCA output that doesn't disable regular speaker output you can run tape output from Receiver A to Receiver B's aux or similar input.

Another option is using the headphone output on Reciever A. Many receivers will allow simultaneous headphone and speaker output. Get a phono to RCA converter and hook headphone output from Receiver A into the aux or similar input in Receiver B. The downside of using this method is that headphone is not line-level and will probably distort at higher volumes, so I would suggest if using this method to set the volumes on receiver A and B and not change them but instead rely on changing the volume at the sources if possible. Just play around with it and see if you can get some reasonable output :-)

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1036
that is plain stupid

Username: Syplex

Post Number: 2
Nothing stupid about it at all, especially the first suggestion. Its line level output so the sound will be good quality unless he's trying to use this for some kind of surround home theater setup on the cheap.

The second suggestion will work but probably will result in clipped or distorted sound. But I have used a setup like this before in college and set the levels correctly without any problems (I had a separate headphone volume control so it was even easier).

I would suggest trying either of the methods before suggesting someone buy another receiver when someone speficially asks how to do it with what they have. Hell if it means saving money and getting the use out of some extra speakers for an outdoor, multiroom, party room, bar, etc then awesome.

Username: Apresler07

Canal Winchester, Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
That is the way i have a sub. my reciecer doesnt have a sub out so i used tape out to an old reciever and hooked that one up to my sub and it works perfect. I know this sounds stupid but is reciever b on the right input?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1478
I think Alex has hit the nail on the head.

Adrian, I presume you are using Tape-Out off of receiver A and plugging into the CD/AUX/TAPE-In on receiver B. If you have receiver B switched to the right input, it should work.

The headphone socket idea is really not very good at all. The impedance characteristics of the headphone socket are completely at odds with the requirements of the receiver's input. Add to this that most headphone sockets are poor afterthought add-ons, and the chances of getting quality sound are slim. It makes far more sense to do the job properly in this case.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1044
or get a speaker distribution block or a reciever meant to play 6 speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us