I just bought a set of speakers and they don't seem worth the $, could I get better or are they just that much?

I have a yamaha htr-5450 100w/ channel receiver. I just bought some Klipsch SF-2's and a B&M ASW 600 sub. I paid about 600/pair, 500 on the sub.
I really don't think they sound all that much better than my real cheap acoustic 12's I was using for mains and bass before. The Klipsch's are great and clear up to almost 1/2 volume but then they stop sounding real good, especially when I put pantera in, I had them set as small speakers too, although it didn't seem to get any worse when I put bass through them as well as the sub. Also the sub just doesn't kick all that hard compared to what I had.

I have 13 days left to try them out and then I can't return them. Is this really the best I can get for $1.1k? Is there a better way I could spend my $ to improve my stereo/hometheater?

Jeffrey
I would first say it would be the receiver being underpowered, but since you have Klipsch which have a high sensitivity, then the receiver should work fine. But it could still come down to the feedback of the speakers to the reciever and when you crank it, then the receiver loses control of the speakers and thus you hear distortion. You should try the speakers on a different receiver or Amp and see if you hear the same qualities.

Anthony
Never forget speaker wire. Believe it or not, no matter what the quality of speakers or the reciever is you won't get the best sound without wire thick enough to transmit the current. Go with Monster cable 12 guage speaker wire (the smaller the number, the thicker the wire). 12 guage is a good thickness, any thicker and it's hard to fit it into terminals, any thinner and you could loose sound quality. The wire goes for about $1 a foot but is well worth it. Never forget that your sound system is only as strong as its weakest link!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us