Energy S8.3 vs. B&W ASW300

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 377
These two little subs are the same price ($350) and same configuration...forward firing 8 inch driver with a downward firing port. Which is a better bet?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2946
I'm not sure about the Energy but I've had bad luck the B&W subs. I think you can do better with the Outlaw LFM2 (299.00).

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 378
Art...There is a concept that seems elusive to me. I think I want to roll off the the main speaker's bottom end where the sub's upper frequency picks up...at the setting of the sub's crossover control. In other words, I don't want the main speakers to produce the frequencies covered by the sub. I would be using the High Level sub speaker inputs. Tim at Alegria said his TOM sub would work this way, but it SEEMS that other subs don't.

I'm thinking that if the woofers of the mains aren't trying to reproduce those low frequencies then the upper bass/midrange would be clearer

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2948
I use a sub to fill at the point at which my speakers roll off at bottom. I don't artificially roll them off but instead have the sub fill in the 40 hz and below frequencies which my speakers don't produce. I'm not clear whether this is for a HT application or music. Your profile shows 2 channel gear.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 379
Yea, just interested in music. I'd like the sub for the Energy C-3s with the Marantz receiver. The room is small, 10'x 11'. I think an 8" sub would be all I would need.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 876
yes it would...

a good 8 inch like the Onix X-series sub or the HSU research would be perfect in a room that size.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 380
Hmmmmm...That Onix-X looks interesting and I've looked at the HSU too. Any pros and/or cons comparing a front firing woofer to a downward firing woofer?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us