Polk PSW404 or other subwoofer?

Anonymous
I'm looking to buy a powered subwoofer for my somewhat limited-spaced living room system to complement my two Polk bookshelf speakers. Here's my limitations:

I'd like to spend under $500
I prefer video shielding
I have a space limitation of 14 1/2 inches width (depth isn't as much of a problem)

I've demoed the Polk PSW404 at a Fry's and was quite pleased with the sound. However, I can't help feeling that I could do better for a similar price (around $400 or so). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dave Edwards
This sounds like a pretty good bet, given your requirements.

Anyone else have any opinions on Polk?

Ron P
I'm running the RTi70's as fronts, CSi30 center, RTi28's as surround and the PSW450 as my sub. I also demo'd the PSW404 and the PSW350. The 404 was a really nice unit, probably nicer than the PSW450 that I have but I wanted the 12" driver of the 450 over the 10" of the 404 and liked the very low response and the ability to "shake" the listening room of the 450.

As you can see from my setup, I really like the polk lineup and sound. You might want to shop around online to see if you could get that 404 cheaper on the net but as a polk fan, I give it 2 thumbs up as far as power, performance, and quality of sound.

Ron P
One other note, if you are only running bookshelfs and not floorstanding fronts, the PSW303 may be more than enough for you and is even smaller yet. What models are you running?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us